Black roof wrap

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ok, I've decided to remove the OTT stripes on the roof and wrap it in black. Who has done this and how much did you spend?

Thanks
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I was going to wrap my entire car... I have the black wrap for the roof, too - just haven't carved out a time to do it....no pun intended. The roof itself doesn't seem too bad - it's getting that little antenna wrapped that could be tricky.

Curious how yours turns out.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I had my WRX's roof done gloss black, along with a number of other grills and areas wrapped, and I believe the total was like $500. Anything more than $350-400 for just the roof and you're getting ripped off IMO, though prices may have fluctuated in the past several years.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would say 200-300 for just the roof is fair, the roof isnt all that hard.

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
Paid $300 but be careful. Mine was a nightmare.

To do the antennae area the best, it has to be removed. First time they did it, they didn't. They reached and was able to get the wrap around it nice, but the edges of the antennae were not the best. Suppose a real experienced shop could do better.

I could live with it but what I couldn't live with was the 4-5 very small dents in the rear corners of the roof. If it wasn't for the gloss black you wouldn't see it. Was from their elbows. You had to really look for it. Had to remove the wrap and paint,ess dent removal. Luckily I've got a guy that has been doing it for 25 plus years.

In their effort to make up for it they removed the antennae. My mistake for letting them try again. They didn't tell me though they were going to do it different. They didn't drop the headliner. They pulled it and reached and creased the headliner.

Lastly, to do a better job around the brake light. Instead of trimming it, leaving a small gap of yellow which didn't bother me the first time. They removed the brake light to wrap the whole area. Sounds great right? Except they broke the light while trying to remove it. Had to replace it.

In the end, I wish I would have just painted it.

PS. If you plan to keep the stripes, you can wrap over it and it will leave a ghost stripe. Looks kind of cool. Seen a few done this way. Saw a pic on instagram where this was done and the white pinstriped the edges to match. Kind of a cool effect as well.

Good luck either way.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I was quoted $350 here, but am even more leery after the previous poster's nightmare...i can't stand trusting others with a vehicle

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

To do the antennae area the best, it has to be removed. First time they did it, they didn't. They reached and was able to get the wrap around it nice, but the edges of the antennae were not the best. Suppose a real experienced shop could do better.

I could live with it but what I couldn't live with was the 4-5 very small dents in the rear corners of the roof. If it wasn't for the gloss black you wouldn't see it. Was from their elbows. You had to really look for it. Had to remove the wrap and paint,ess dent removal. Luckily I've got a guy that has been doing it for 25 plus years.

In their effort to make up for it they removed the antennae. My mistake for letting them try again. They didn't tell me though they were going to do it different. They didn't drop the headliner. They pulled it and reached and creased the headliner.

Lastly, to do a better job around the brake light. Instead of trimming it, leaving a small gap of yellow which didn't bother me the first time. They removed the brake light to wrap the whole area. Sounds great right? Except they broke the light while trying to remove it. Had to replace it.

PS. If you plan to keep the stripes, you can wrap over it and it will leave a ghost stripe. Looks kind of cool. Seen a few done this way. Saw a pic on instagram where this was done and the white pinstriped the edges to match. Kind of a cool effect as well.

Good luck either way.
have a link to the photo? I agonized over removing vs keeping the stripes. FWIW, the guy who is doing the roof is supposed to know what he's doing.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I did, removed stripes on roof and wrapped gloss black $200

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I was quoted $350 here, but am even more leery after the previous poster's nightmare...i can't stand trusting others with a vehicle
I will have to specify that the antenna has to be properly removed.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I will have to specify that the antenna has to be properly removed.
I guess on my black i might could get away with leaving it...was thinking about doing a satin/matte roof and wheel to offset all the damn shiny on this thing

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

Good luck either way.
What was their yelp/google reviews like? Sounds like a fly-by-night company.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

GT0038

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT/sold :(
$300 to do my roof including antenna. At first the antenna looked fine but now after 3 years the edges on the bottom of the antenna are starting to shrink. But, I'm still happy can't complain if it took 3 years to show signs of wear.

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
I always have the roof painted. Had my 16 and 17 pp cars done for 250.00 and that's also painting the antenna
Sponsored