Sponsored

Bilstein B6’s Sold Out- What is the next best option

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
2020 GT Non PP

After hours and hours of reading I chose to buy the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts to accompany my Steeda Minimum Drop Springs. After ordering I was informed that NOBODY could get the front struts until March.

So what would be my next best comparable option. I am leaning toward the Ford Performance Track shocks and struts (M-18000-F)

Any input on this Ford option or something similar now that the B6 is not available would be appreciated. Car is stock other than Jacking Rails. Will be adding the BMR CB005 also. Thanks
Sponsored

tangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Both frpp and bilsteins are monotube design. you would be hard pressed to find difference between the two on street. I have frpp struts and bilsteins rear shocks.

8A6A07F1-2712-4C4A-8054-C834EE751693.jpeg

46F419A1-2F73-4690-B329-B749F837BFC2.jpeg

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
M-18000-F are very similar to B6 and come with new shock mounts

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pair of Bilstein rears new in box on a shelf. For a while there FRPP track's were also unobtanium. Maybe that ship has since come in?

Stangpop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I picked up the B12 pro kit last week from Lethal. (B6's and Eibachs). Where have you checked that's sold out? I'm pretty sure Modifymystang quoted me some he had ready to ship at a very reasonable rate Friday. And LMR had the b6's in a bundle of struts/shocks instead of individually last week also. Steeda normally sells them but I don't know what their inventory looks like currently. Surely someone has them, Summit, Amazon?

Good luck.

Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
OP
OP
2016S550

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Thanks for the assistance in finding a vendor who still had them. At this point after hitting a roadblock I got a quote shipped for the Ford Performance Shocks/struts that is $175 cheaper than what the Bilsteins combo will cost.

I am looking for better spirited street driving and no track days. Is it worth the additional $175 to move to the Bilsteins? In addition the Ford Kit comes with everything and I would not have to break down my stock struts or use the stock/order bump stops.

Thanks!

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Agree, I went with Bilstein cuz frpp were out of stock at the time. Saves you some money and time.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for better spirited street driving and no track days. Is it worth the additional $175 to move to the Bilsteins? In addition the Ford Kit comes with everything and I would not have to break down my stock struts or use the stock/order bump stops.
You’ll save more than $175 going with the FP Track Dampers — it has strut and shock mounts, bumpstops, comes assembled, and is less expensive. It is a GREAT value for monotubes.

I love my Bilsteins, but then again I bought them long ago at their introductory price.

— Mike

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I’m disappointed no one has mentioned Koni yellow adjustable shocks. They definitely do their job and the knobs do impact handling.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m disappointed no one has mentioned Koni yellow adjustable shocks. They definitely do their job and the knobs do impact handling.
the Steeda version is better.

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
What makes the Steeda version better? I just installed a set of FP Track dampers but I’d be interested in an adjustable set of dampers for my next set.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What makes the Steeda version better? I just installed a set of FP Track dampers but I’d be interested in an adjustable set of dampers for my next set.
the blue paint. just kidding. The valving is different and they seem to have a lower rate of failure.

I just took my pro-Actions off and replaced with Fortune Auto coilovers. If you really want to get into adjustable suspension you either

1) buy inexpensive coil-overs and have them gutted, pistons replaced and completely re-do the valving - I'm having to do that with my FAs but I figure I can also do that to a $500 set just as well.

2) buy RideTechs

3) buy Ohlins or more expensive MCS/JRi etc.

The Pro-Actions are pretty decent. I just would pair them with 200-300 straight rate springs. If you want to get spring-happy, get the PA in 'coilover' configuration. With the Dual-rate springs I had to crank the rebound almost to the limits to get them to behave. I have some spare pro-Actions and will be tearing them apart and see how easy it is to re-valve for better behavior.

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for the assistance in finding a vendor who still had them. At this point after hitting a roadblock I got a quote shipped for the Ford Performance Shocks/struts that is $175 cheaper than what the Bilsteins combo will cost.

Thanks!
I can’t speak for the Bilsteins but I think you’ll be happy with the FP Track dampers. I have a 2015 GT non-PP that I just installed the FP Track dampers (already had CB005 installed), and I’m extremely happy with them. Firm yet comfortable around town, very stable on back roads and on track.

I’d recommend doing the rear toe-to-knuckle bearings while you’re in there, that combined with the CB005 really made the car feel more stable over mid-corner bumps in my experience.
Sponsored