Sponsored

Billetworkz shift knob for Mach 1

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
@Danmach1 reached out to me asking if I could come up with some artwork to send to Billetworkz for a Mach 1 themed knob similar to the GT350 one that I did the artwork for. Well, that's a little strong. I created a shift pattern and integrated Ford's logos into it. :crackup:

Anyway, I came up with this (the "TREMEC" was Dan's idea.)

tremec-shift-pattern-small.jpg

As for the "Mach 1" logos on the side, something to be aware of is that Ford sort of "remastered" the logo for the 2021+ cars, just like they changed up the cobra emblem for the 2015+ GT350/500. If you're as OCD as I am, you don't want to be mixing up vintage and modern versions of the emblems. I was able to extract a good vector copy of the 2021+ logo from a window sticker PDF file.

I came up with this guide for the logo usage, and I believe this is correct as far as how the logo should be displayed, but I'm all ears if there's anything to the contrary:

usage-guide.jpg

Basically when you engrave a stainless knob that's been powdercoated, the logo is formed out of the steel and the powdercoat. The stainless will appear dark if you do a white powdercoat, but it will have the opposite effect with a black powdercoat. So it's actually a different engraving depending on the color of the knob. If this doesn't make sense to you without pictures, check out the thread I linked above for the GT350 knobs. Look at the cobra emblem on my white knob and then on another member's black knob, and note how the engraving differs.

To that end, I have two vector files for the Mach 1 logo to send to Billetworkz depending on what color the knob will be powdercoated.

Here's something I think I know, but I can't be sure because I don't own a Mach 1 (still have the GT350):

Is the OEM shifter on the Mach 1 the same as the GT350 shifter, does it carry over it's unique M10x1.25 thread pitch? Other manual S550's that are not named GT350 use M12x1.25 threads, so this is an important thing to get right.

Getting an answer to that question will be key before anyone goes hog-wild having a custom shift knob made.

If someone wants to remove their knob and check the threads with a caliper, the outside diameter of M10 threads should be about 0.3937" (10mm) whereas M12 threads should be about 0.4724" (12mm). It's lefty-loosey.

Answer: bizarrely, Ford made a new TR-3160 shift lever for the Mach 1 in M12x1.25, despite the fact that Ford Performance already makes cue ball knobs in M10x1.25 for the GT350's shift lever. See @Danmach1 's pics below.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Danmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang mach 1 2021
@Danmach1 reached out to me asking if I could come up with some artwork to send to Billetworkz for a Mach 1 themed knob similar to the GT350 one that I did the artwork for. Well, that's a little strong. I created a shift pattern and integrated Ford's logos into it. :crackup:

Anyway, I came up with this (the "TREMEC" was Dan's idea.)

tremec-shift-pattern-small.jpg

As for the "Mach 1" logos on the side, something to be aware of is that Ford sort of "remastered" the logo for the 2021+ cars, just like they changed up the cobra emblem for the 2015+ GT350/500. If you're as OCD as I am, you don't want to be mixing up vintage and modern versions of the emblems. I was able to extract a good vector copy of the 2021+ logo from a window sticker PDF file.

I came up with this guide for the logo usage, and I believe this is correct as far as how the logo should be displayed, but I'm all ears if there's anything to the contrary:

usage-guide.jpg

Basically when you engrave a stainless knob that's been powdercoated, the logo is formed out of the steel and the powdercoat. The stainless will appear dark if you do a white powdercoat, but it will have the opposite effect with a black powdercoat. So it's actually a different engraving depending on the color of the knob. If this doesn't make sense to you without pictures, check out the thread I linked above for the GT350 knobs. Look at the cobra emblem on my white knob and then on another member's black knob, and note how the engraving differs.

To that end, I have two vector files for the Mach 1 logo to send to Billetworkz depending on what color the knob will be powdercoated.

Here's something I think I know, but I can't be sure because I don't own a Mach 1 (still have the GT350):

Is the OEM shifter on the Mach 1 the same as the GT350 shifter, does it carry over it's unique M10x1.25 thread pitch? Other manual S550's that are not named GT350 use M12x1.25 threads, so this is an important thing to get right.

Getting an answer to that question will be key before anyone goes hog-wild having a custom shift knob made.

If someone wants to remove their knob and check the threads with a caliper, the outside diameter of M10 threads should be about 0.3937" (10mm) whereas M12 threads should be about 0.4724" (12mm). It's lefty-loosey.
First of all, thank you for your time!

I am OCD like you so the reserch for the right Mach 1 logo.

Also, the ‘’Tremec’’ on top is perfect.

For the thread pitch, I am pretty 100% sure it is M12x1.25. Each Website I ve done for shift knob told me thats its same as S550 GT so m12x1.25.

I want a black knob. Mach 1 Logo pretty like the bottom left one.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
For the thread pitch, I am pretty 100% sure it is M12x1.25. Each Website I ve done for shift knob told me thats its same as S550 GT so m12x1.25.
I'll believe it when someone actually measures it, because it would be an expensive thing for Ford to do to make a new shift lever for the Mach 1 when they could have just used the extant GT350 one out of the bin.

The forthcoming TR-3160 Gen 2 shifter from @MGW is the same for both Mach 1 and GT350, so they didn't change anything enough that George would have to make two separate models.

Danmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang mach 1 2021
I'll believe it when someone actually measures it, because it would be an expensive thing for Ford to do to make a new shift lever for the Mach 1 when they could have just used the extant GT350 one out of the bin.

The forthcoming TR-3160 Gen 2 shifter from @MGW is the same for both Mach 1 and GT350, so they didn't change anything enough that George would have to make two separate models.
1A428657-5518-4ED5-8346-E7711A775379.jpeg

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'll be damned. With this car being such a parts bin special, you'd think it would be easier to contract out a new knob in M10x1.25 than make a new shift lever in M12x1.25. Especially since Ford Performance already had GT350 cue ball knobs in M10x1.25 that would just need a simple engraving change. That lever is a complicated part...

But what do I know. :crackup:

Sponsored

JSracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150; 2005 GTO
Definitely looks good! Appreciate the effort.

Interested in hearing more about the steering wheel upgrade as well.

There we go! Big thanks Spart for the jelp! 🔥

63F840D3-9E30-4FE2-B254-CFDB1F2490F7.jpeg

Danmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang mach 1 2021
It looks like you have the wheel logo as well. What is it made out of? Its hard to get a feel for what it looks like in person. Sick shifter though. How much is it?
The wheel logo is made in aluminium and a kind of plastic. Hard to says.

for the knob and lockout…around 200$ us