Sponsored

Big insurance increase (State Farm)--anyone else?

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Progressive would have been under $100/mo if I signed up for the driving habits tracker but I don’t think anyone with a mustang wants insurance monitoring their throttle inputs 😂
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Progressive would have been under $100/mo if I signed up for the driving habits tracker but I don’t think anyone with a mustang wants insurance monitoring their throttle inputs 😂
You can turn off location services if you plan to drive recklessly. That will stop the tracker from recording your drive.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
You can turn off location services if you plan to drive recklessly. That will stop the tracker from recording your drive.
I did some very light reading on that before hand and was getting some mixed responses. Some say they got questioned by the milage increase or the data updated after reconnection. This could be totally wrong but I just decided to skip it. Last thing I want is to do something like using my phone with TrackAddict for data during a HPDE and get my insurance bumped 😂

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I did some very light reading on that before hand and was getting some mixed responses. Some say they got questioned by the milage increase or the data updated after reconnection. This could be totally wrong but I just decided to skip it. Last thing I want is to do something like using my phone with TrackAddict for data during a HPDE and get my insurance bumped 😂
“My phone battery died” or “I left my phone at home”.

I have USAA Safepilot and they’ve never asked me to give them my mileage.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
I can see it now …

“Sir your driving habits down the main straight of Road America saw speeds in excess of 140mph, 100% throttle application, followed by heavy brake application and aggressive steering input. Your rate is now $500 a month”

Sponsored

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
“My phone battery died” or “I left my phone at home”.

I have USAA Safepilot and they’ve never asked me to give them my mileage.
I am unsure what data they would be able to pull from the car if it’s connected to it though. My uncertainty is worth paying the few extra bucks. If it was significantly less I would be more inclined to try it without a doubt

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I am unsure what data they would be able to pull from the car if it’s connected to it though. My uncertainty is worth paying the few extra bucks. If it was significantly less I would be more inclined to try it without a doubt
It’s not connected to the car at all. And you can go in and tell the app if you were the driver or a passenger. I saved over $200 from one period to the next due to my driving habits…or at least what it thinks are my habits 😉

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
USAA won’t raise your rates based on your driving habits, but your discount gets significantly lower if you brake hard or handle your phone while moving.
that’s fair. I don’t handle my phone at all while driving tbh. I intentionally bought 6” cable for CarPlay so it gets plugged in and put in the console the entire drive.

I wonder if using a secondary device would be an even safer option. I have an android that I use for other things that I could just leave in my car for my commute and remove at other times.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
that’s fair. I don’t handle my phone at all while driving tbh. I intentionally bought 6” cable for CarPlay so it gets plugged in and put in the console the entire drive.

I wonder if using a secondary device would be an even safer option. I have an android that I use for other things that I could just leave in my car for my commute and remove at other times.
As long as it’s connected to a cell carrier, that’s how it reports to the insurance company.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
That is a Data/Collection/collaboratin/ selling scam. Stay away from it. They will share your Data, and Information with everyone who wants your data. They will use it to be able to increase rates, drop your coverages in other areas just not car Insurance.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That is a Data/Collection/collaboratin/ selling scam. Stay away from it. They will share your Data, and Information with everyone who wants your data. They will use it to be able to increase rates, drop your coverages in other areas just not car Insurance.
Based on what info? You have hard data to back this up or is it conjecture?

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
If you do Snapshot via your phone, I think they give you a determination for your discount after 6 months of driving. And as others have commented you can pause the tracking (for instances such as if you were on a race track or decide to drive like a neck on the street (referring to myself a bit here)). That said even after shopping around they are still offering me the cheapest rate but they also uplifted my rate by 164 dollars for six months (last payment was $1000 for 6 months). I'm still salty but the gecko is the next closest insurance I can find and they are about $100 more expensive if I add back what I'm paying for my discount.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Based on what info? You have hard data to back this up or is it conjecture?
Stop drinking the Kool-aid and just think for a minute???? NO COMPANY, does anything which does not put their company profits, best interest at the forefront, no matter how much you believe they have good intentions. Yahoo admitted they use scan data to sift through people's "Free" email service to use and or sell. Just like FB and every data driven company. Data is sold all of the time for hundreds if not billions a year to company's who use your data for their gain. No argument here. Just remember, absolutely "Nothing IS FOR FREE"
Sponsored