RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Hi everyone!

I just got my car, and opted for ceramic coating. I've done it myself in the past, and thought I'd save myself some time.
The shop that did it does lots of high end cars - Benz, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari...etc.

Their paint correction person knocked down the nibs and minor etching with compound, then finished with Menzerna 3000 and a yellow polishing pad. The gloss is quite good for most, but I'm very picky. The car was then coated with some sort of *pro-grade* ceramic.

As they say: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."

I know I could knock down a bit more of the orange peel and bring up the gloss with Menzerna 400 compound and finish with Menzerna SFP 3800.
FLEX 3401 polisher and white pad for compound, red pad for finish.

My questions are:

Will my first step of correction with the compound remove the coating and correct the finish?

Or

Do I need to do a first pass with compound to remove the ceramic, then do a second pass with compound and clean pads to correct?

Thanks for any helpful advice you can offer.
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
you can knock the ceramic off with a good polish or compound.
I would just leave it as is and wait till the next time in a year or so and then knock down ceramic the rest of the way and re correct paint as you wish. I would save the clear coat and wait though.
You ll know if you do decide to correct that as you are seeing the paint correction you ll know the ceramic is gone.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Be careful on the orange peel the clear is thin as it is.

Better to go with ppf after reducing orange peel.

Ceramic is fine for garage princess but does nothing for drivers except add some shine that a $10 bottle of spray can do in 10 min.
True ceramic coatings helps a car stay clean longer, easier to clean, and helps to keep trim looking pristine with little to no effort. A $10 dollar bottle does not compare.

Richard

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Be careful on the orange peel the clear is thin as it is.

Better to go with ppf after reducing orange peel.

Ceramic is fine for garage princess but does nothing for drivers except add some shine that a $10 bottle of spray can do in 10 min.
it does much more. I can wash the car much easier and quicker. Drying is much faster. And I dont have to reapply wax every other wash. And the gloss is on the higher end compared to a sealant
Sponsored