Best tune?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
i was 17 once :cwl: and i do remember the days of being broke and trying to mod my 1st mustang. props to you for keeping that spirit alive as it seems kids your age are not that interested in hotrods anymore.
I live in washington. i would prefer to do them myself but i'm not sure my back will hold up spending that much time underneath the car unfortunately.
Ah ya that’s far from me. And ya not many young people are buying mustangs, especially with used prices being so high.

As far as your back goes it was difficult on my back too. I’ve done oil pump gears, intake manifold, injectors, timing chains, spark plugs, etc. and the headers was the most frustrating. The oil pump gears took longer but it wasn’t frustrating and didn’t break my back. The exhaust manifold nuts are a pain in the ass to get out, the engine mount brackets can be pain too. I think I spent 4 hours on one nut. Experience will definitely help but it’s still no fun trying different combinations of extensions and wrenches

Headers are the only thing I’ve done that I have said might be worth taking it to a shop, especially if you have the money to spend.

I would find a shop who has done it before, so they can quote you an accurate cost and time associated with the install. Be prepared to replace motor mounts to get clearance for the steering shaft if your car has miles on it. I did the headers on a 4.6 mustang and it was a million times easier, looked at my friends Camaro and I think I could do them in my sleep, the 5.0 is a pain in the ass.
Sponsored

OP
OP
5.0_sittinlow

5.0_sittinlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Can someone also explain how lockouts work and why tuners prefer them? I was looking into getting a ported 18 intake manifold. I only saw one video on YouTube of a guy actually using the MMR lockouts.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Can someone also explain how lockouts work and why tuners prefer them? I was looking into getting a ported 18 intake manifold. I only saw one video on YouTube of a guy actually using the MMR lockouts.
On (at least) 2015+ mustangs the intake manifold has imrc. Imrc is a plate that will interrupt airflow at low rpm. At high rpm, this plate sits flush with the rest of the intake manifold allowing for maximum airflow.

Ford did this to provide better low-end torque while keeping high hp at high rpm. The air turbulence at low rpm caused by the imrc helps to mix the air and the fuel, making more power.

To get the 2018+ intake manifold imrc to work on 2015-2017 you need the wiring harness adapter. It is like $70 from steeda, but some retailers will let you buy it from them with the intake (it may also be called a cmcv wiring harness).

As far as tuning goes, I have no idea. Wengerd didn't mention anything to me and the car runs great with my 2018+ manifold with imrc. Maybe a tuner can chime in.

I would only do imrc lockouts if you are going boosted. I think I've heard the imrc could cause issues with lots of boost but I don't know exactly.

But if you aren't doing a high boost setup I would just keep the imrc, and just get the wiring harness. No reason to make the coyote less torquey. Plus imrc doesn't interrupt airflow at high rpm and shouldn't lose you any hp up top.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I'd go with canned DIABLOSPORT tunes. Just as good as LUND/PBD tunes. Plus, if you get something like the Trinity 2 EX Platinum device, you can make your own changes with air/spark/fuel, also you can change tire settings, add external sensors, a whole myriad of things.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Personally I'd go with canned DIABLOSPORT tunes. Just as good as LUND/PBD tunes. Plus, if you get something like the Trinity 2 EX Platinum device, you can make your own changes with air/spark/fuel, also you can change tire settings, add external sensors, a whole myriad of things.
Haha was wondering when you would show up.

Does diablosport offer tune updates for manifol, header, injector changes, etc.?

I know diablosport is more of a mopar thing but still nice that they are branching out to ford.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Does diablosport offer tune updates for manifol, header, injector changes, etc.?
Yes. Or make some those changes from the device. It's just Math & percentages haha. However you CANNOT make any changes to emission compliant parts.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
same here. i think catted long tubes will be the only mod i do and wengerd performance will do the tuning.
Considering going this same route too.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You should fly out and install mine so it’s a lot easier when you do yours. Think of it like an unpaid internship :giggle:
LOL, I paid someone $500 to install my headers on my 17 GT. I know when to throw in the towel versus the frustration. :cwl:

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP2, 2003 SVT Cobra, 1940 Ford Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had Lund do a 93, Flex and E85 tune on mine and I was very happy with the results til I went boost with Whipple. Good customer service/response and the tune was spot on, had no idle or drivability issues at all.
If you want a CAI because of the way it looks, do it. If your expecting performance from the CAI, don't do it and put that $300 towards the tune and device. Lund told me the same thing.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Considering going this same route too.
Long tubes definitely help sound and performance.

Full bolt on N/A is not much more and that’s the setup I went with. Ported intake manifold, larger intake, 47lb injectors, long tube headers.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Long tubes definitely help sound and performance.

Full bolt on N/A is not much more and that’s the setup I went with. Ported intake manifold, larger intake, 47lb injectors, long tube headers.
My previous car was a 17 GT with ARH catted / catless headers, ported 18 mani, injectors, and E85. It had quite a bit more zip than my current car but also was an emissions nightmare because I couldn't flash back the stock tune.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
My previous car was a 17 GT with ARH catted / catless headers, ported 18 mani, injectors, and E85. It had quite a bit more zip than my current car but also was an emissions nightmare because I couldn't flash back the stock tune.
You should pass emissions with cats. Before I installed the headers I got my emissions done. I had 47lb injectors and the ported intake manifold. I think if I throw my catted pipe on I will pass emissions just fine.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You should pass emissions with cats. Before I installed the headers I got my emissions done. I had 47lb injectors and the ported intake manifold. I think if I throw my catted pipe on I will pass emissions just fine.
You would think so but I never could pass the O2 readiness test. 2 not ready = fail. The only way I could pass is I had a tune flashed which had the rear O2's turned off that required me to change to my JLT intake I had at the time. Only way I could squeak by. I went round and round with the tuner on that subject until we just gave up on it.

OP
OP
5.0_sittinlow

5.0_sittinlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Do I need to upgrade the fuel injectors to 47lb when upgrading to a ported 18+ mani?
Sponsored