Best looking mustang ever?

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Make no mistake... I got a lot of love for the Fox. But head-turners, they weren't. Although this did get a lot of attention in grocery store parking lots in 2019. My sister had this same car in 1979 when I was a kid, so there's a lot of sentiment for me in this color combo.

I would love a 79 Pace Car or Cobra. The decal packages killed.

4.jpg
Those early foxes (well, all foxes) still turn my head. Almost none are 5.0s and Iā€™m sure all the carbureted & turbocharged ones are long gone, maybe except for personal collections.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
No my '79 was the 4-banger 2.3. And mine was actually a Capri too. But as you probably know, the only difference between the Capri and Mustang at that time were a few plastic trim bits.
I donā€™t know how old you are but a 2.3 Capri is a nice car for a teen, way cooler than a Corolla or chevette. I thought the capris looked pretty good.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I actually think the Fox body Mustangs returned the Mustang to its original roots of an affordable "sporty" car that could be a lot of fun. The styling has not aged well at all, but it was not totally out of place in its day.

The Mustang II era tried to do the same thing, but it was built on a horrible platform and the general public mindset was squarely focused on economy not performance. By the late '70s, there seemed to be more of an interest in performance again.
Completely agree, and I think most mustang fans would agree that by 85 it was back to its full glory, looks and power wise.

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I donā€™t know how old you are but a 2.3 Capri is a nice car for a teen, way cooler than a Corolla or chevette. I thought the capris looked pretty good.
I had that car while I was in college. My buddy had a mid 70's (76 IIIRC) Mustang with moderately tuned 3.8 six in it. His was faster, but everyone preferred riding in mine.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Do we have any love for the 71-73 models?
1656771202140.jpeg
Yes!!!! My first car, a pea-green 72 that I put a chin spoiler on and painted black. 351C-2v. Slow but perfect for a teenager. Loved that car. Love that ridiculously long hood. I always stop for them at mustang meets, even though there arenā€™t many. Pre-covid there were two 71s: A Boss 351 and a Mach 1 - 429. Sweet cars, but not universally loved.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Just an aside, your current EB coupe, even if stock and even if manual could put a scare into or maybe even beat a M1-428CJ or Boss 429 in the quarter. Just saying.
No doubt we have come a long way!

There is a tendency to romanticize the muscle car era, but overall performance of most mid-ranged sport sedans today would blow away all but the biggest of the big blocks from '60s and '70s and do it with the air conditioning on!

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
No doubt we have come a long way!

There is a tendency to romanticize the muscle car era, but overall performance of most mid-ranged sport sedans today would blow away all but the biggest of the big blocks from '60s and '70s and do it with the air conditioning on!
Very true. In the 80s, it was warrantedā€¦.but now weā€™re so far ahead itā€™s ridiculous.

I try to remember what it was like back then so I can appreciate how good we have it now. Itā€™s not easy. I have a feeling Iā€™d drive a stock LX 5.0 now and it would feel slow. Still sound good, thoughā€¦

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Very true. In the 80s, it was warrantedā€¦.but now weā€™re so far ahead itā€™s ridiculous.

I try to remember what it was like back then so I can appreciate how good we have it now. Itā€™s not easy. I have a feeling Iā€™d drive a stock LX 5.0 now and it would feel slow. Still sound good, thoughā€¦
Overall, yes, it would feel slow, but I feel like my '89 pulled better at low RPMs. The first thing I noticed was that the low end of our Coyotes felt sluggish but boy do they like to rev and once you get the revs up, boy does it pull compared to those old pushrod 302s. šŸ˜

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Do we have any love for the 71-73 models?
1656771202140.jpeg
My first car was a 72. White on white. 351C with FMX automatic. Lots of memories from that car. Sold it when I got my first real job out of college that required a 1 hour commute.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
My first car was a 72. White on white. 351C with FMX automatic. Lots of memories from that car. Sold it when I got my first real job out of college that required a 1 hour commute.
351Cā€¦.the 2v or HO? I still had the 2v on mine when I sold it. Miss that car but it made lots of (unhappy) noise and zero power at high rpm (probably 4500) before the slush box decided to shift.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Respectfully no. 03-04 Cobra gets my vote.
Unfortunately, roofs not blended into the quarters is a turn-off for me.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP