Best Free Music Apps (Sound Quality)

Mark23GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 10 Speed Grabber Blue
Today Tidal Music shut down its free version, so I was going to go to Pandora, have used it before. But then did some googling and came across the radio paradise app, online people say it is very good and good sound quality and no commercials and free. Has anyone used this and how do you like it? I see they have a few channels you can choose from such as rock, main, mellow music. Or if you have any other suggestions for free music apps, thanks! have tried spotify free in the past and did not think it sounded very good, have not tried the pandora in the car yet so not sure how it will sound.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark23GT

Mark23GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Did some research on the Radio Paradise app and looks like they play a lot of older and newer music, they have their playlists online, I don't think I am going to like a lot of the songs they play, will give it a try later on way home. probably go with pandora as you can put in what artists you like. unless anyone has other suggestions, wish Tidal had kept their free version, it was pretty good.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I pay $10/month for Apple Music and $6/month for SiriusXM

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Have you ever thought about running a PLEX server and using PLEXAMP on your Apple Carplay / Android Auto? YOU can put the music youu want on there.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Have you ever thought about running a PLEX server and using PLEXAMP on your Apple Carplay / Android Auto? YOU can put the music youu want on there.
Came here to post the same.

You can run Plex on just about anything for a server. Acquire your own files and you can stop paying for subscriptions.

Although not free, I primarily use Spotify because it’s convent.

Sponsored

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
I use Pandora exclusively for my music. The free version is all that I have, but, you can turn up the quality in the app. Run out of skips? Create another channel that plays the same music. LOL I have 3-4 channels for each type of music I like and almost never run out of skips because of it.

OP
OP
Mark23GT

Mark23GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I use Pandora exclusively for my music. The free version is all that I have, but, you can turn up the quality in the app. Run out of skips? Create another channel that plays the same music. LOL I have 3-4 channels for each type of music I like and almost never run out of skips because of it.
Thanks! I checked the settings and it says high quality, good idea on more channels too!

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up using Navidrome (in a Docker container) with a subsonic app, there's a decent selection.

Plex is easier to use, Jellyfin is really just ok for music.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Came here to post the same.

You can run Plex on just about anything for a server. Acquire your own files and you can stop paying for subscriptions.

Although not free, I primarily use Spotify because it’s convent.
So with the Plex server, do you need the Plex pass to stream music to your phone?

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
So with the Plex server, do you need the Plex pass to stream music to your phone?
Not 100% sure what features are locked behind Plex Pass. But a quick search:
"Premium music features in Plexamp, like Sonic Analysis, Sonic Sage, Guest DJ, Track & Album Radio, Artist & Album Mix Builders, and more."

Edit: Looks like it is required.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I ended up using Navidrome (in a Docker container) with a subsonic app, there's a decent selection.

Plex is easier to use, Jellyfin is really just ok for music.
Coincidently I've been rebuilding my storage arrays and docker stacks over the last couple days. I haven't gotten to it yet, but a Navidrome container is on the list.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Just a thought...

Can the Plexamp on iOS run as a remote for a headless Plexamp server on a Raspberry Pi?
Means.... i have a Raspberry PI in my car, connected via optical output to my Mosconi DSP. With Plexamp i would have the whole library on a USB stick or disk and control it via Plexamp on CarPlay...

Would that be possible?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Just a thought...

Can the Plexamp on iOS run as a remote for a headless Plexamp server on a Raspberry Pi?
Means.... i have a Raspberry PI in my car, connected via optical output to my Mosconi DSP. With Plexamp i would have the whole library on a USB stick or disk and control it via Plexamp on CarPlay...

Would that be possible?
Unlikely unless you are running PMS on your Pi. You need something to run the server and I don’t believe a direct connect would work. I know that when I watch stuff at home or listen to music at home it goes out to the web and then back into my server.

Interesting idea. Let me know if you get a direct connect working!

For me I have a Bluetooth gadget in my arm rest that connects to my phone and allows me to have wireless car play and my phone does all the data etc

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Just pay for your streaming service?

TIdal introduced lossless audio (FLAC) to all paid plans now, so it was an upgrade for me.
Sponsored