Best Daily Driver Springs NON-PP

Which setup would you do for a comfy Daily Driver

• Total voters

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
So i am looking to get some lowering springs and don't want to go too drastic since this is my daily driver and i love the soft ride the non-pp comes with from the factory i am really just looking at killing some wheel gap and keeping the stock ride.

I don't ever drive hard into corners and i love not having to worry about ride height at the moment but i understand that lowering an inch I am going to have to be more careful going into parking lots and parking next to curbs.

What i am hoping i don't have to do is suffer from ride quality (my only complaint right now is the bouncy ride on certain freeways) but it really isn't that bad and i love how smooth and luxurious the ride is compared to the old SRA.

I noticed most people choose between the steeda linear and bmr sp080 with PP shocks but nobody says what to do with non-PP shocks?

Do i have to get PP shocks?

If so wouldn't i be better off with steed pro actions?

I also have noticed almost everyone says to get these other BMR goodies like c005 cradle lockout and bushing replacements but again i don't ever get wheel hop and other hard driven issues right now and i am still running all seasons (which i might stick with for traveling up north during winter months) since they actually handle quite well and get the job done.

Why fix what isn't broke i always say.

Anyways look forward to feedback on the springs since i am about to pull the trigger on some tsw bathhurts and i know the next thing i am going to want is lowering springs.
Sponsored

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I think is important to get shocks and struts to match your springs which you can do with any of the good brands. Was just watching some videos on it. I would ask either BMR or Steeda which every you get to match them for you. Different spring rate is going to change the needs of your shocks.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
@BMR Tech how come you guys designed the drop to be so different from front to back, are you trying to create rake or are you trying to level it out?
An S550 GT, which is what we designed our springs around, comes from the factory with what appears to be a "reverse rake"

The driving characteristics are drastically changed when you hop from a stock car, to a car with our BMR signature stance.

So not only do we bias towards more front drop to correct the factory "look" - we also felt that the S550 drives much better (better experience) with the front dropped down a little more. Ford designed these cars in a manner that it feels like you are driving an F150 truck in a stock S550 Mustang. To better explain it, hop in a stock S550 and try to get exactly 1" from a parking curb in one shot.

As for the drop amounts, there are a few reasons why we chose the 1.2" front and .50" rear. One was as explained above, and we also looked at what the pros and cons were on specific drop amounts. What we found early on was that .50" rear drop was the best overall drop amount out back due to a few things like suspension geometry and also the fact that many S550 owners end up using a taller rear tire when they upgrade wheels. So for example, when someone throws a 20" wheel combo on the car that is staggered, many times they will put 28" tires out back and 27" tires up front. When that happens, the wheel gap then appears as if its a 1" drop on a 27" tire...with a little bit of forward rake which is excellent in terms of driver comfort.

The 1.2" Front was decided on primarily due to two things. Geometry first, and second would be that it was the most aggressive drop that we felt was acceptable with the .50" rear springs.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We have some great packages & have a lot of customers running our Pro Actions & Progressives/Linear on their non-PP car, additionally, here is one of our "extreme" kits:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-gt-non-performance-pack-handling-kit-15-16-gt-555-2354.html

It would be beneficial to get the comfort package which includes our Pro Actions, which will save you $$ if you are getting them installed since labor can be done at the same time:

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Comfort-Suspension-Package-15-17-555-2407

When we design a spring for the Mustang, our engineers have certain criteria that they are trying to meet ... like ride quality & body roll.

Lastly, Steeda springs are all in-house engineered and custom made to our exact specifications & they were developed using advanced proprietary CAD data, and our exclusive 3d modeling setting us apart from the others.

Same thing with our Pro-Action Shocks and struts. We spent a year and a half working on the design and engineering. We take the time to optimize the valving of the Pro-Actions to work great on the Mustang with our Steeda springs.

They provide the ultimate in ride quality and handling while exceeded OE standards for durability and build quality.

Happy to help with your suspension package, we have some very good build experts on staff that can help take your car to the next level!

TJ

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
To add to what I mentioned above about how our springs look on the staggered wheel and tire combo, here is a perfect example. This is Chris Kalnasy's SP080 kit on a 275 front and 315 rear tire...which are 1" different in height.

This was a major influence when designing our springs. As you see, it's perfection. Most other springs would have the rear fenders covering the tire...with a similar to the pic front gap which amplifies that reverse rake look. ;)
FB_IMG_1499477961190.jpg

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If what you're after is to retain the comfort, I really think you should consider the Steeda Progressive springs with the Pro action dampers. The progressive springs have a lower rate at the start of the coils that help them absorb the little bumps then transition into that firmer rate to reduce brake dive and keep it level in corners.

I have an EB PP so I can't compare exactly but like you one of my major complaints was the bouncing on my 1 hour + ride, all highway to work. I felt like a bobble head. The Steeda Progressive springs definitely improved the ride quality. Additionally, whichever path you take, I'd definitely consider the Steeda shock mounts. They have a bearing in them that allow the shock to articulate during compression and rebound. Moving freely allows the damper to better do its job.
Dock_new_sm.jpg

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
First of all I really appreciate all of the responses and advice along with explanation about what things the way they are, this forum never ceases to amaze me.

I think I am going to do a 089/082 combo for minimal drop and minimal ride change for now but around 30 thousand mile mark I plan on doing the Steeda progressive with pro actions along with billet rear mount and camber plates.

I just hate throwing away perfectly good dampers from OEM (much like the stock exhaust I just gave away) and would rather get some use out of them while i can.

Plus i think a little down the road when I am getting bored the Steeda package would provide a nice upgrade to what i had grown used to. Plus I know those dampers won't last their full life with the slightly lower BMR springs on there so 25k/30k should be a good maintenance interval.

Sponsored

ChrisK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT
I just installed the BMR springs with steeda pro action-fixed on my non PP car. I think it rides perfect!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the BMR springs with steeda pro action-fixed on my non PP car. I think it rides perfect!
Glad we could get that ride perfect for you - when you are ready to take the next step with our rear shock mounts, we'll be happy to have you stop by our Pompano Beach, FL location!

Best Regards,

TJ

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
First of all I really appreciate all of the responses and advice along with explanation about what things the way they are, this forum never ceases to amaze me.

I think I am going to do a 089/082 combo for minimal drop and minimal ride change for now but around 30 thousand mile mark I plan on doing the Steeda progressive with pro actions along with billet rear mount and camber plates.

I just hate throwing away perfectly good dampers from OEM (much like the stock exhaust I just gave away) and would rather get some use out of them while i can.

Plus i think a little down the road when I am getting bored the Steeda package would provide a nice upgrade to what i had grown used to. Plus I know those dampers won't last their full life with the slightly lower BMR springs on there so 25k/30k should be a good maintenance interval.
I have a 2016 GT that I currently have Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks & Struts with Steeda Billet Shock Mounts with OEM non-pp springs. I have found this combination to give me the best ride quality. After I had the Steeda shocks & struts with billet shock mounts installed on my car I drove the car for about 2000 miles. Next I tried changing the springs to Steeda Progressive springs. I thought the ride quality on these springs was not as good compared to the OEM springs. On good roads they are great, but with roads with poor surfaces they suck. So after only 300 miles I ordered some BMR 089/082 springs and had them installed. The ride quality was better with BMR springs but still not as good as with the OEM springs. After only 300 miles I switched back to the original OEM non-pp springs. My GT is not my DD car so it sat in the garage most of the time with the Steeda and BMR springs, I just did not want to drive it. I know that there a lot of forum members who like the Steeda & BMR springs but you won't get the same ride quality from them as the OEM springs in my opinion. If you want to lower your car I would go with the BMR 089/082 springs but the ride quality will be stiffer than your OEM springs. Also I would recommend upgrading your shocks & struts to the Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks & Struts with the billet shock mounts when you change the springs. I spent a lot of money on changing springs only to go back to where I started with the Steeda Pro-Actions Shocks & Struts with the Billet Shock Mounts.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Did you adjust the dampers with the different springs?

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Did you adjust the dampers with the different springs?
Yes the first thing I did was try to find a rebound adjustment that would improve the ride on both the Steeda and BMR springs but I was unable to match the ride quality of the OEM springs. When I first got the Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks & Struts with the OEM springs I probably tried about 12 different adjustment positions trying to find what I liked best. That was 3/16 turn from full soft on both front and back. With both Steeda & BMR springs I tried a number of different rebound stiffness positions and still couldn't find a rebound stiffness that gave a ride quality anywhere near as good as the ride quality with the OEM springs. It's as simple as a stiffer spring will give you a stiffer ride. You can improve the ride quality with the stiffer springs with the rebound adjustment but can't get the same ride quality as the OEM springs.
Sponsored