Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished installing:
Installed.jpg

Ordering process
- Smooth. Communicated directly via email. Stayed in touch throughout the process. Took longer than initially advertised—COVID

Wheel
- Very well packaged; no chance for damage
- The CF and leather are extremely good quality (flash makes it seem brighter than it is)
- Stitching is also a work of art
- One exception. Although overall craftsmanship is outstanding, the lack of attention to detail on the backside of the parts is irritating. They cannot be seen, but it would still be nice to know that something so well crafted is perfect “inside and out.” OEM up top. Beith below. Used touch-up paint prior to installing--OCD
Control.jpg

Installation Process
- Important to account for differences between the MYs (or risk having controls backwards)
- Beith did not provide instructions, but plenty of guides online
- Used CJ Pony Parts,
- As noted in the video, removing the airbag while depressing the retainer spring is the most challenging step—wasn’t a matter of finesse, brute strength, or luck, just magic (LMR video may be helpful here)

- CJ video is for installing a GT350 wheel on a non-GT350 (same for LMR); more disassembly/reassembly required with Beith than the videos show. Not only do the controls need to be transferred, so does the wiring harness and the 2-piece rear cover. Everything is straight forward, but as with anything, it’s important to pay attention to the original when disassembling it. Also, the parts don’t fit quite as naturally on the Beith as they did on the OEM. This is minor, but notable.

- CJ recommends using an impact for removal and installation. Impact works great for removal. However, I recommend hand tightening and torquing to spec (35 ft. lbs)

Edit: Notice the gap at the top between the airbag cover and the rear cover. This is the point about a less natural fit. Will have to remove and reposition the rear cover to get the right fit. Hopefully, my retainer spring Kung Fu will be stronger the second time around...
Hi,
Did you compare the weights of the original wheel and Beith performance? As I said, I am surprised how much heavier it is compared to stock...
Thanks.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hi,
Did you compare the weights of the original wheel and Beith performance? As I said, I am surprised how much heavier it is compared to stock...
Thanks.
Actually, I did, partly because of your post and partly because of the noticeable difference:
OEM: 1.845kg (4.067 lbs) with controls still mounted, wiring harness, and the back cover still on.
Beith: 2.101kg (4.631 lbs) without controls mounted, rear cover, or wiring harness.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but the Beith is probably a little over a 1.5 lbs more. Substantial when you're only dealing with 4 lbs.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I did, partly because of your post and partly because of the noticeable difference:
OEM: 1.845kg (4.067 lbs) with controls still mounted, wiring harness, and the back cover still on.
Beith: 2.101kg (4.631 lbs) without controls mounted, rear cover, or wiring harness.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but the Beith is probably a little over a 1.5 lbs more. Substantial when you're only dealing with 4 lbs.
Thanks, mine is much heavier than that. It must be due to carbon fiber... I forgot to weight it before installing, I wanted to... They must be using different filling for the CF one than the leather.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I was surprised as well. I thought it was heavier. I think it's the distribution of the weight. You may want to weigh your OEM wheel to see if I was off.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I just got my Beith Performance parts carbon fiber steering wheel in the mail and did the installation this weekend and figured i would post up a quick review.

Upon buying the GT350 i was very happy with all aspects of the car, the only thing i had a minor gripe with was the steering wheel. My last car was an E92 M3 and IMO in that price range the M cars had some of the best steering wheels on the market. They were thick and substantial, nice shape and leather was high quality. After 800 short miles my alcantara already started to look a little tired, couple that with the thin steering wheel and i decided to make the upgrade.

I researched several different suppliers of the carbon custom wheels but ultimately ended up with Beith because from the pictures i had seen and the user testimonial everyone was happy. There were others out there for ~100$ less but ultimately since this one of the main components you interact with every time you drive the car i wasn't interested in taking a chance on a lower level of quality.

I placed my order with Tim, Carbon top and bottom, flat bottom, perforated leather on the sides, red 12 o'clock marker, and gray stitching (to match the regular 350 but i prefer the higher visibility that the red 12 o'clock marker gives). Tim from Beith is extremely good with communication answering all my questions and keeping me updated on status after i had paid. Total time to get the wheel was between 3-4 weeks, Tim PM'ed me with the shipping, shipped with a signature for security and packed the wheel extremely well ensuring no damage.

The installation was extremely easy, for anyone doing it CJ Pony parts has a great video showing how. Total time was about 20minutes for the install start to finish.

Now as far as the wheel itself goes, i was extremely blown away by the quality of the work. The stitching is perfect, the leather is tight with no buckling, the carbon fiber weaves are laid very straight with no bunching or buckling, the clear coat is smooth perfectly shaped, there are finger grooves in the back of the wheel. The bezels fit perfectly and flush with the new wheel. The level of quality is OEM quality for sure. No complaints.

While for me there are no negatives thus far i will give a couple of cautionary points:

1. the carbon fiber is extremely thick. It is thicker than my old M3 wheel for sure. For me i prefer the oversize vs. undersize but if you have smaller POTUS hands you may want to think twice about the carbon, it may be too big

2. I haven't experienced it yet but i could envision a scenario when doing track events that if you had sweaty hands there might be less grip on the carbon than traditional alcantara or leather. Again i didn't experience anything myself but it might be a consideration for a track heavy user.

Well enough talking, on to the pictures

E9CE32AD-3016-4078-A86A-C340B1712348.jpg

1B42D1E8-58D9-415B-ACD3-732CF16A0226.jpg

Sponsored

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Thanks, mine is much heavier than that. It must be due to carbon fiber... I forgot to weight it before installing, I wanted to... They must be using different filling for the CF one than the leather.
Thanks for the tip, and the great photos. I'm now in my seventh month of waiting for the wheel I ordered from SoCal Garage. My experience with them is the opposite of what you described with Beith. The first wheel they sent (after 75 days) was for the wrong car. They promised to make it right, but I have now been waiting for another 3 months+, with no wheel and terrible communication. When he does bother to reply at all, it is always with a promise that the wheel is ready to ship. Of course it never arrives, I wait a few weeks (trying to be a patient customer), write again, he ignores me for a few weeks, then finally says that it's on its way (again). I'm cancelling the order and (hopefully) will go with Beith. I thought I'd done my homework with SoCal, but I guess I didn't, since it's hard to imagine I'm the first one to be screwed by them.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Beith is running behind also. I paid for mine on 4 May and at the time was told would be ready in 4 weeks. Well, it's now mid-August and I still haven't received it. June 18th I contacted him and he said it was in production and would be ready in a couple of weeks. July 19th I contacted him again for an update and he stated they were having material delays on his end and that the wheel would be ready by early August.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he does quality work, but just be prepared for a long wait.

Heck, I'm having to wait four months for a dental follow-up, so many things have been affected.

Thanks for the tip, and the great photos. I'm now in my seventh month of waiting for the wheel I ordered from SoCal Garage. My experience with them is the opposite of what you described with Beith. The first wheel they sent (after 75 days) was for the wrong car. They promised to make it right, but I have now been waiting for another 3 months+, with no wheel and terrible communication. When he does bother to reply at all, it is always with a promise that the wheel is ready to ship. Of course it never arrives, I wait a few weeks (trying to be a patient customer), write again, he ignores me for a few weeks, then finally says that it's on its way (again). I'm cancelling the order and (hopefully) will go with Beith. I thought I'd done my homework with SoCal, but I guess I didn't, since it's hard to imagine I'm the first one to be screwed by them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Nice review!

Note that you can use use 2018+ Mustang controls that swap the volume control to the left side. Just need to cut two wires in the harness and run them to the other side. Having volume on the left side is much better. All my other cars have on the left, so now no chance of me using the wrong controls.

wait what? Lol you're saying the 4 left buttons become the volume buttons?

Matthew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Leadfoot Grey GT350
Been trying to get a hold of Beith with little success. Any other shops that make good custome steering wheels?

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
He replied to my emails a couple of times yesterday.

Been trying to get a hold of Beith with little success. Any other shops that make good custome steering wheels?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
We all have our limits when it comes to patience, especially when we are the ones offering to spend money. However, Beith is a proven provider. May be worth re-engaging.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I finally ordered from Vivid Racing, but can't yet attest to the quality. SoCalGarage continued to ignore my emails (including the one in which I finally canceled the order) until I filed a dispute claim with my credit card company (who were more than a little willing to cancel the charge, after nearly 8 months, and an unresponsive vendor). Lo and behold, SoCal suddenly appeared back on the scene, and the wheel I ordered early last February arrived (in spite of my having canceled it, six weeks before). Caveat: the wheel they finally sent is beautifully made. After pondering it for a couple of days, I decided I just didn't have the heart to send it back. So now I have a fine wheel (just hope it is the right one; the first one they sent in the spring was for the wrong car), and another on order. Stupid of me, I guess, but I'll end up with two custom leather wheels and only one GT350! Bottom line: SoCal Garage makes a nice wheel at a reasonable price, but be prepared for a VERY long wait, mistakes, and no honest communication about the status of things. In a month, I'll be able to give a review of the Vivid Racing wheel.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Nope. Swapped out with the buttons from a 2018 Mustang GT. They have the volume controls on the left
The stereo controls on the left of my 2019 drives me crazy. Seems backwards. My 2017 mustang has them on the right and so does my 2017 F150. Oh well.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Just stumbled across your entry. I also gave up on Beith, not wanting to sign on with yet another vendor who would delay production and shipping (as I was experiencing with SoCal Garage) and also fail to communicate. I went with Vivid Racing. I've been waiting nearly three months, tho' they now say they are actually ready to ship. Contact me in a few weeks if you want to see photos and/or hear my assessment.)
By the way, what is that incredible color on your car? I've never seen it before (except as a paint-to-sample on a Porsche). Gorgeous.
Sponsored