Sponsored

Beginners Exhaust Guide + KOOKS RHD HEADERS Launch offer

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Id like a price on headers to suit my FR by borla GT350 sport cat back system.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
The prices are based on Kooks retail pricing, which starts at $1708 for a decat and goes through to $2538 for green catted 1 7/8" system.

Also regarding 'true 3" systems', the Kooks system can be a true 3" system if you buy their complete exhaust including headers. No aftermarket catback (unless part of a complete system as well) will be true 3" as they MUST come down to OEM size in order to connect to the OEM front side.

Our intro offer will be lowering prices too. I'm not sure where you got your figures from but CJ Pony air shipping costs $1,100 ish on a set of Kooks headers, making their cost of the decat system WELL OVER £2000. Our prices aim to stay competitive, but we are not driven purely on price but on personal service and our UK base as well.

OK I fully understand retail pricing and MSRP's, so am hopeful you can do us guys a great offer, I think its fair to say at the right price you will have an easy 10 confirmed orders and most of us would be happy to pay up front. :)

I have a Corsa sport, which is a true 3" system, it uses an adapter to connect upto the stock headers. I suppose I could do with Kooks like I could do with any other system and just get my own connection pipes made up to connect the headers to the catback and maintain true 3" design.

CJ prices came from their website, which trust me when it comes to shipping CJ's are generally expensive:

The above shipping however is not so bad as that does include all taxes/VAT etc. :)

Though for your information I put most of my order for large stuff through Hypermotive as they shipped my Corsa catback system which is one freaking huge and heavy box, for a mere $168 and yes that was via air freight.

So you are miles out on how much you think it cost to ship stuff over from the USA, I've have imported everything for my car and a few vendors out there like Hypermotive, Lethal and CJ's at times have really good shipping rates. I can even get a Whipple sent over for a lot less than your saying, which is vastly bigger and heavier than headers.

Even shipping from Australia via Air which is a further distance is only around $100, for example the Streetfighter headers, they can ship via DHL air freight 4-7 day service and the cost is $254 AUD, which is around $195 USD.

So if you guys are paying the shipping you suggest, you need to fire your logistics guy and employ someone new, they could save you thousands. ;)

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Phew I thought it was just me shocked by those prices. Do CJP do group buys ?

If I go 1-7/8 with plans to supercharge, is there any point fitting this before then ?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Phew I thought it was just me shocked by those prices. Do CJP do group buys ?

If I go 1-7/8 with plans to supercharge, is there any point fitting this before then ?

CJP only offer LHD at the moment, they will not fit.

1 7/8 headers on a RHD car will give around 35-50BHP gains across the rpm range and around 30lb/ft across the range NA. On a RHD car headers is the best NA modification we can make as they uplift the power and torque everywhere through the power band.

On a supercharged car 1 7/8 headers will gain around 100BHP compared to stock headers, so the gains are huge.

Headers will require a tune to get optimal running from them, you may also get an engine light from the rear 02 sensors, which can be turned of or dialled back in a custom tune to remove the engine light from coming on due to rear 02 sensors.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
The prices are based on Kooks retail pricing, which starts at $1708 for a decat and goes through to $2538 for green catted 1 7/8" system.

Also regarding 'true 3" systems', the Kooks system can be a true 3" system if you buy their complete exhaust including headers. No aftermarket catback (unless part of a complete system as well) will be true 3" as they MUST come down to OEM size in order to connect to the OEM front side.

Our intro offer will be lowering prices too. I'm not sure where you got your figures from but CJ Pony air shipping costs $1,100 ish on a set of Kooks headers, making their cost of the decat system WELL OVER £2000. Our prices aim to stay competitive, but we are not driven purely on price but on personal service and our UK base as well.
Why such a premium for RHD headers compared to the LHD headers?

I know some R&D will be there, but surprised with the big difference.

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
CJP only offer LHD at the moment, they will not fit.

1 7/8 headers on a RHD car will give around 35-50BHP gains across the rpm range and around 30lb/ft across the range NA. On a RHD car headers is the best NA modification we can make as they uplift the power and torque everywhere through the power band.

On a supercharged car 1 7/8 headers will gain around 100BHP compared to stock headers, so the gains are huge.

Headers will require a tune to get optimal running from them, you may also get an engine light from the rear 02 sensors, which can be turned of or dialled back in a custom tune to remove the engine light from coming on due to rear 02 sensors.
As always Gibbo, you supply good info.

Any idea what the difference will be with the 1 3/4 on a NA set up? My guess would be even better torque then the 1 7/8s

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As always Gibbo, you supply good info.

Any idea what the difference will be with the 1 3/4 on a NA set up? My guess would be even better torque then the 1 7/8s

Very hard to tell, I do not think anyone has actually done a comparison, obviously because headers are expensive and very time consuming and damn right difficult to install due to the small spaces to work with.

Headers are 100% a lift required to fit, doing these in your driveway would make you a very brave person, you need lots of extensions, wobbly bits and ratchet wrenches ideally.

I would suspect 1 3/4 will gain 5-15lb/ft down low and mid-range and maybe sacrifice around 5BHP up top, as bigger always flows better and makes more power at the expense of torque and potentially power down low and in mid-range.

I am going 1 7/8's even though I might stay NA simply because all the fastest cars NA with Shelby GT 350 IM are with 1 7/8 headers and some are seeing as high as 125mph terminal speeds NA. Yes 1 3/4 might be as quick but to be frank I don't want to be the guinea pig as headers are expensive and a hard install so I want to get it right and from the 100's of US guys who are NA are running 1 7/8's. Plus if I go NA route, 350 IM I want my power up top which at around 550BHP the 1 7/8 should give more linear power. If I go ultimate NA build I might do cams along with OPG/Sprocket and chain tensioners and let her loose to 7800rpm.

I will however ask the guys at Lund for their honest opinion as they see all the air flow data, 1/4 runs and dyno runs, so if anyone can give an honest and unbiased reply it is Lund for sure or any other tuner.

Dan_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550 & 1972 Mach 1
...you need lots of extensions, wobbly bits and ratchet wrenches ideally.
extensions, wobbly bits and ratchet wrenches at the ready...

heres a good article to decide what size you want

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-pick-the-right-header/

also here is a good video comparing headers on a big block chevy, interesting result at 3:50 in vid comparing 1-3/4 vs 1-7/8 long tube primaries.

[ame]

Go big or go home... :) well for a 437cui chevy anyway...:p

I've wanted better headers ever since I received the one and only letter from Ford during my 11 month wait for the car. You know, the one that said thanks for buying one of our car thingys, Congratulations! you have won 15 bhp less due to us allowing the summer placement engineer to design the RHD manifold.

Maybe that wasnt the exact wording...:ford:

but glad to see there is going to be options soon... need to look around the house to see what I can sell so I might afford such things as new headers :D..

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
extensions, wobbly bits and ratchet wrenches at the ready...

heres a good article to decide what size you want

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-pick-the-right-header/

also here is a good video comparing headers on a big block chevy, interesting result at 3:50 in vid comparing 1-3/4 vs 1-7/8 long tube primaries.

Go big or go home... :) well for a 437cui chevy anyway...:p

I've wanted better headers ever since I received the one and only letter from Ford during my 11 month wait for the car. You know, the one that said thanks for buying one of our car thingys, Congratulations! you have won 15 bhp less due to us allowing the summer placement engineer to design the RHD manifold.

Maybe that wasnt the exact wording...:ford:

but glad to see there is going to be options soon... need to look around the house to see what I can sell so I might afford such things as new headers :D..

My thinking, go big and let it breathe.
I also want ceramic coating and if you watch that video so should everyone else:
Ceramic coating: 200c
Un-coated: 800c

So the coating is highly recommended as less heat under the hood equals more power and the ceramic coating clearly works, very well. :)

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not that it makes it any easier to swallow, but as a catback system cost me circa £1200 shipped from the States, I was fully expecting these to be in the £1500/2000 kind of area from a UK supplier.

So groupbuy dependant, I'm interested unless Gibbo finds them a lot cheaper. :D

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that it makes it any easier to swallow, but as a catback system cost me circa £1200 shipped from the States, I was fully expecting these to be in the £1500/2000 kind of area from a UK supplier.

So groupbuy dependant, I'm interested unless Gibbo finds them a lot cheaper. :D
I am hoping Steeda sorts us a nice price for a group buy, otherwise I am gonna chance my luck with an Ozzy system for around £1500 landed in the UK and that is with cats and ceramic treated.

The Kooks are not ceramic coated and the cheapest you will find will be about £250 to do that and a top quality job by a company like Zirotec will cost more like around £500 so bear that in mind as an additional cost when buying headers. Zirotec quote around 10 days.

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang fast back 5.0 V8
Anyone looked at the headers for RHD from Australian company "Hurricane". They offer ceramic coated. Worth a look as an alternative. I am putting on a Whipple Supercharger next year so may wait and do the headers at the same time.:thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone looked at the headers for RHD from Australian company "Hurricane". They offer ceramic coated. Worth a look as an alternative. I am putting on a Whipple Supercharger next year so may wait and do the headers at the same time.:thumbsup:
I am in touch with Streetfighter, Xforce and Hurricane. :)

Once I have all prices finalised I shall share, but am also waiting on Steeda's group buy prices and prices on the Kooks from another UK supplier as well so all the options are available in one place. :)

Jimmy Pancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang GT -ordered 22/5/16
I just discovered Kooks axelbacks from digging into this thread. I think I might have finally settled on an exhaust! Is there any discount for the Steeda site at all, looks like my basket will be pretty big come 2017.

OP
OP
Steeda UK

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
[MENTION=25168]Jimmy Pancakes[/MENTION] this "pre order" offer is available for all Kooks systems not just the Headers, so you can order the Axle back and it will be discounted. Which one were you looking at?
Sponsored