Sponsored

Bbk shorty exhaust leak ......

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
So just got done installing the shorties and started it up and had a minor leak that went away not sure how but now around the ball sockets it seems there smoking ..... Anyone else have this problem ?
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So just got done installing the shorties and started it up and had a minor leak that went away not sure how but now around the ball sockets it seems there smoking ..... Anyone else have this problem ?
The smoke could be from surface oil on the headers being burned off. If it doesn't go away then I would suggest tightening down your ball and socket bolts.

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Yeah I thought maybe it was the hilco lube I used on the nuts but then it sounded like a leak some where

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I thought maybe it was the hilco lube I used on the nuts but then it sounded like a leak some where
It is entirely possible you have a leak unfortunately. I had them on my LT header setup. Like before, tighten down all of the bolts as much as you can to see if the sound will go away.

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Yea there is a small leak nothing bad and the smoking went away. I'll do a video and review In a couple days but so far these things are worth it especially teamed up with roush abs my X pipe and torries tune I think it's the closest to a v8 rumble we can get and best of all the drone has dropped substantially !!!!!!!:headbang::headbang:

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yea there is a small leak nothing bad and the smoking went away. I'll do a video and review In a couple days but so far these things are worth it especially teamed up with roush abs my X pipe and torries tune I think it's the closest to a v8 rumble we can get and best of all the drone has dropped substantially !!!!!!!:headbang::headbang:
Glad you like them!!

So the power gain is fairly noticeable? More low RPM power?

I am going to be removing my LT headers soon and going back to the stock cats. Cheaper alternative to get my tune right then continuing on with LT's. I am considering going to shorty headers after.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Did you use the BBK supplied gaskets or reuse/buy Ford OEM ones?

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Yes to me very noticeable low end improvement zack very deep rumble just feels like it flows so much better and yes reaper I used the bbk gaskets

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
Glad you like them!!

So the power gain is fairly noticeable? More low RPM power?

I am going to be removing my LT headers soon and going back to the stock cats. Cheaper alternative to get my tune right then continuing on with LT's. I am considering going to shorty headers after.
Hey Zach, forgot to ask you- Has drone increased with long tubes? I'm thinking about going with them along with a catted h-pipe with my flowmaster outlaws.

If you think drone gets worse, I'll go with shorties.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Hey Zach, forgot to ask you- Has drone increased with long tubes? I'm thinking about going with them along with a catted h-pipe with my flowmaster outlaws.

If you think drone gets worse, I'll go with shorties.
Hard to say really. It all depends on the entire exhaust setup. From my personal experience I would say drone slightly decreased but drastically. My setup is offroad though so catted should also help bring down drone.

Sponsored

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Yes to me very noticeable low end improvement zack very deep rumble just feels like it flows so much better and yes reaper I used the bbk gaskets
Ok, I don't know how far you would go to fix your leak but if you decide to reinstall the headers I'd use the Ford OEM gaskets as they are much better quality.

Also, I'd say that the BBK shorties + K&N CAI make an awesome change to the overall performance/sound. Can really feel/hear it now :headbang:. I was thinking about going with some aftermarket cans but I really like the current sound so I might as well save some money for now.

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Yeah I'm almost positive it's at the ball socket and I just need to fiddle with it but the bbk gaskets seemed pretty decent

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Yeah I'm almost positive it's at the ball socket and I just need to fiddle with it but the bbk gaskets seemed pretty decent
I used the BBK supplied gaskets when I put the headers on my v6. I believe the oem ford gaskets had smaller openings so it didn't make sense to me to use them.

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
The cars screams with the shorties at high rpm. I would love to raise the rev limit.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The cars screams with the shorties at high rpm. I would love to raise the rev limit.
Get a tuner, I'm surprised you haven't by now.
Sponsored