Basis for GT500....GT or GT350?

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Since there seems to be a general consensus that at some point a Ford GT500 will be released based on the new platform, I have been wondering if it does happen, will the GT500 utilize the GT as it's base platform or will it utilize (and build upon) the GT350?

My thinking is that since the GT350 is already a $50-65K car, it would probably be cost prohibitive to utilize it as a basis for an even higher performing sibling unless marketing feels that a $70-80K price tag is not a barrier to selling sufficient units.

On the flip side, it would sure be nice to see the drivetrain and chassis performance pieces from the GT350 carry over to a future GT500.
Several postings have mentioned the feeling that the GT500 is focused towards straight line performance due to supercharging but I feel that mind set could be inaccurate if the GT500 were to utilize the GT350 platform and progress from there.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd be happy for it to use the GT as a basis, but if the development cost has already been sunk, it probably makes sense to use some of the GT350 kit (brakes/suspension etc)

My ideal GT500:

Twin Turbo charged Coyote (possibly using the 5.2 volume, but CPC not FPC)
750+ hp / 700lb-ft+
10-speed auto / 6-speed manual
Subtle "Wide body" front and rear. The rear flared to accept a 315+ wide tire
Magnaride suspension.

:ford:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Won't be based on either, just a new Mustamg model. Unique engine and trans, possibly magnaride, unique wheels, interior options, unique bodywork.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Good questions and concerns Bruce. One of the limiting styling factors would be the engine they are using. If they decide to open up MY17 with a Supercharged Coyote, I would say a GT styled hood would be needed. It doesn't mean it won't use the GT350 front section, just not the sloping hood. A heat extractor on the raised hood might be worth taking a look at.

Say if the do go Twin Turbo Coyote. What are the packaging restrictions on such a motor? The S550 has a decent front overhang and I suspect that was to package Ecoboost heat exchanger systems as well as supercharging utility. The only downfall to a short front overhang is packaging...

If a TT5.0 can fit under the GT350 hood, then I say use it. If they decide to increase the front track like the 350 but, keep the bulging hood. Maybe even use the 350's hood but redesign a "Power Dome" hood that wraps the engine. The C7's hood does this... Add in the heat extractor and it could look badass.

Join us in the Photoshop Section in the 2017-'18 GT500/GT500KR Thread. As you suggest, there are two ways to skin this snake. Both highly depends on the engine choice and configuration. Lots of important stuff you brought up, lots to think about.

Grimace brings up another good point. What if the GT500 is completely unique from the A-Pillar up? What if it utilizes a rear track increase and a unique rear quarter panel and rear deck lid? What if it gets a Carbon Fiber roof option?

It very well could be its own animal... That is actually just as feasible as the other two options. The S550 is scalable...

They would be limited to about 1.5 inches of increased track in the rear. A 3/4 inch offset is quite a bit. If feel safer with a modest 1/4 inch wheel offset on top of whatever a 315 (or 325 I hear) gives you over the stock GT's 64.9 inches. A 315 would be 70mm over the 255's. (or almost 3 inches). That would give you a decent track increase right there. I can't wait to see the numbers. I'm not sure what the 350's rear wheel offset is though either.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if there is a rear track increase.

Last edited:

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
It needs to be 800HP just for marketing reasons, it could even be combination TT V8 with an electric motor to help achieve sub 3 second 0-60 times, low 10 second quarter mile times, and Currie 9" rear end with mini tubs. Que the haters. Lol. I'll have anothe whiskey.

Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
I'd be happy for it to use the GT as a basis, but if the development cost has already been sunk, it probably makes sense to use some of the GT350 kit (brakes/suspension etc)

My ideal GT500:

Twin Turbo charged Coyote (possibly using the 5.2 volume, but CPC not FPC)
750+ hp / 700lb-ft+
10-speed auto / 6-speed manual
Subtle "Wide body" front and rear. The rear flared to accept a 315+ wide tire
Magnaride suspension.

:ford:
Sign me up! I would(will) buy that all day long. Would make an awesome stablemate to my '12.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I'm going to throw this out there in regards to the GT500 engine. This is what I suspect will happen. Ford will most likely use the new 5.2 liter block and heads. If the valve package will allow for it? They might reduce the bore back down to the 5.0 bore if strength is a issue. I strongly doubt the Coyote block will be used. I see the Coyote block being a truck only application in the future. But who knows......?

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm going to throw this out there in regards to the GT500 engine. This is what I suspect will happen. Ford will most likely use the new 5.2 liter block and heads. If the valve package will allow for it? They might reduce the bore back down to the 5.0 bore if strength is a issue. I strongly doubt the Coyote block will be used. I see the Coyote block being a truck only application in the future. But who knows......?

The Voodoo engine is based on the Coyote already. Other than bore, the most likely differences are all in the intent of reducing vibrations from the FPC. If the GT500 is CPC then it wouldn't need anything from the Voodoo at all.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The Voodoo engine is based on the Coyote already. Other than bore, the most likely differences are all in the intent of reducing vibrations from the FPC. If the GT500 is CPC then it wouldn't need anything from the Voodoo at all.
From what I've heard, the Voodo only shares the bore spacing. Heads and intake will not interchange. It seems to be mostly all new......found this out when I inquired about swapping the Voodo heads onto a Coyote block. But right now there is too much speculation and not enough facts. I do know that the Voodo is very reinforced compared to the Coyote. I cannot wait until a head for head comparison can be made. Bolt pattern, deck height, water jackets and oil return passages need to be strongly looked at. We must wait and see as usual.......:ford:

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Won't be based on either, just a new Mustamg model. Unique engine and trans, possibly magnaride, unique wheels, interior options, unique bodywork.
I agree. Probably won't see 800HP more like 750HP. It finally needs a auto trans option.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
NO Auto.... A DCT. Then it's playing in the same sandbox as the big boys.

And then I'll buy it.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The GT500 does not need and added .2 liters.

If it is indeed using a turbo, then it is using DFI Coyote. An EB 5.0 will have gobs of power and torque, to the point of being ridiculous for a production car.

If the DFI 5.0 is not ready, expect the GT500 to be supercharged.
Sponsored