bad odor after wash

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Hello , this is the 3rd time I wash my vert and each time there is a bad odor like mildrew . I use a Simoniz pressure machine. This odor can stay 2-3 days until car is completly dry. I'm I alone with this particular situation ? When I open the garage... hummm this is not attractive at all ? Anyone as a trick to avoid this situation happen ?
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Here are 3 possibilities:

1) There is mold on your hood liner at the 2 vent openings. Spray them with white vinegar. There is a current thread on this you can follow.

2) Water is leaking into your car and soaking your front or rear rugs due to clogged drainage holes or a cowling that is not properly sealed. Check your rugs front and rear. Then read postings about unclogging them.

3) You have leaves, mold, debris accumulating in the area before your heater fan. Get a hose in there and vacuum out the cowling.

Keep us posted as to what you find out.

thanks

CVCashmere

OP
OP
Jackismydog

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Here are 3 possibilities:

1) There is mold on your hood liner at the 2 vent openings. Spray them with white vinegar. There is a current thread on this you can follow.

2) Water is leaking into your car and soaking your front or rear rugs due to clogged drainage holes or a cowling that is not properly sealed. Check your rugs front and rear. Then read postings about unclogging them.

3) You have leaves, mold, debris accumulating in the area before your heater fan. Get a hose in there and vacuum out the cowling.

Keep us posted as to what you find out.

thanks

CVCashmere

Hello CVCashmere,

I've made checks early this morning on and :

point 1) I removed the hood liner so impossible

point 2 ) check all carpets even in the truck and no leaks on that side

Point 3 ) I've checked for leaves and debris and didn't find. But for my understanding, where is located the heater fan ??

Finally, as I used a pressure water, I 've looked on the water evacuation routing and didn't found anything strange or detoriated... any help will be gratly appreciated!

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Hello , this is the 3rd time I wash my vert and each time there is a bad odor like mildrew . I use a Simoniz pressure machine. This odor can stay 2-3 days until car is completly dry. I'm I alone with this particular situation ? When I open the garage... hummm this is not attractive at all ? Anyone as a trick to avoid this situation happen ?
Since you smell the odor when you open the garage, I am going to go way out and suggest you check the top. The S550 has a 3 layer top, if the outer layer has a small cut or seam that is allowing water in, the water may be accumulating between the top layer (outside) and middle layer, but, not coming through to the head liner, inside the car. I suggest you wash the car, but leave the top dry, don't wet it at all, park it in the garage and see if the smell shows up.
Let us know if you find anything. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jackismydog

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Since you smell the odor when you open the garage, I am going to go way out and suggest you check the top. The S550 has a 3 layer top, if the outer layer has a small cut or seam that is allowing water in, the water may be accumulating between the top layer (outside) and middle layer, but, not coming through to the head liner, inside the car. I suggest you wash the car, but leave the top dry, don't wet it at all, park it in the garage and see if the smell shows up.
Let us know if you find anything. Good luck.

You are reading in my mind! I have this plan:

1- Day 1: Wash only the windshield and the front . Park and... smell
2- Day 2: Wash only the doors. Park and smell
3- Day 3: Wash only the trunk. Park and smell
4- Day 4: Wash only the top. Park and smell

I'll start this friday !

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
One thing I think is a bad idea is pressure washing the top - only low pressure spray should ever be used. I use 303 fabric protectant (especially on seams) to help water bead and shed. Also has a uv protectant to help with fading.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I’ve never thought that washing a car with a pressure washer is a good idea (or using car washes) since it pushes water much further into the car than a garden hose wash. I generally have the nozzle on a fan setting to minimize the pressure. I hope you find your problem, but I would start by not using the pressure washer.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Could the pressure washer be the source? Maybe take the car out of the garage, spray the garage floor, shut the door for a bit and see what happens.

OP
OP
Jackismydog

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Guys, The idea to stop using the pressure washer is another good one! Next wash will be done with the regular hose. For you info Pittpa, I do not wash the car inside the garage. Do the job outside the park the car inside after wash . I've used the 303 clean and protect so Maybe just a regular hose wash will be fine ( The car wasn't dirty at all but dusty with bugs residue on the front)
Sponsored