Sponsored

Backup camera woes

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
I know there have be been a bunch of threads on the backup cameras here and believe me, I searched and read them all I think! but my issue so far seems to be just a little bit different.

I do get the fuzzy picture occasionally when putting it in reverse, which has been linked to the rear harness in other instances. (I have not touched or repaired that yet). Heres where it seems to differ... If Im sitting there and put it in reverse and get the fuzzy picture, I can take it out of reverse and put it back in, and sometimes its fine. Sometimes its not. The harness wont fix itself just sitting there.

Sometimes when the car is hot, I get absolutely nothing when I put it in reverse. No backup sensors, no camera, no errors, no nothing, like theres nothing back there.

it sounds like it might be a bigger issue than just the harness in the trunk, no? Especially if it decides to come back 2 seconds after trying again.

Sometimes I put it in reverse and it is VERY jittery and fuzzy then "Camera not available" pups up.

I havent brought it to the dealer yet, as I dont really care for my local dealer. Would love to try and fix it myself.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PS, tonight Im going to at least start by inspecting / repairing the rear harness.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sometimes when the car is hot, I get absolutely nothing when I put it in reverse. No backup sensors, no camera, no errors, no nothing, like theres nothing back there.
This is exactly my problem. Been to the dealer 3 times about it, they replaced the camera, did something with a computer, still does it, but only after some highway driving or something like that.

There's a reverse switch on the side of the transmission, it's a $40 part. I told them to replace that because it's probably failing when it gets heat soaked by the exhaust running right by it. They declined, and the problem persists.

I would take matters into your own hands and just try that. Or if you want to troubleshoot, maybe cover it in some heat shielding and see if that makes a difference. As for me, I don't care anymore because I've got a T56 waiting to go in.

AlexIvanov32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
I had a similar problem as well. Luckily I was able to fix it myself. The shielding wiring is very important for the correct functionality of the backup camera. This is the shield (bare wire) that is bundled with the Brown w/Purple Tracer and White w/ Green Tracer wire for the camera. The EMC (electro-magnetic compatibility) and shielding is most likely disturbed when your car heats up, etc. and that's why we got the poor performance in different conditions. Hope this helps! It worked for me. Also, I added a little bit of slack to the wire harness by hanging it down with a tie wrap loop.
Trunk_Wires.jpg
Trunk_Wires_1.jpg
Trunk_Wires_2.jpg

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info and the pics! So it was the shield (bare) wire that was broken on yours? In the second picture it still looks broken. Or was a different wire the culprit?

Sponsored

AlexIvanov32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Thanks for the info and the pics! So it was the shield (bare) wire that was broken on yours? In the second picture it still looks broken. Or was a different wire the culprit?
Sorry, both of those pictures were before I fixed it. The other splices were from the (dodgy) work the dealer did. Once I stripped back some of the aluminum-like coating and connected the bare wire to bare wire, everything worked great.

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent, thank you, and great work!
Sponsored