Sponsored

Back to Stock Toe Rods and Vertical Links - Install Question

Bonafide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT PP
Going from aftermarket adjustable toe rods and vertical links back to stock. Except I lost the original ones in a move and had to order new ones from Ford.

I'm a novice but do like to wrench on this car. Any thoughts on greasing the toe rods or vertical links anywhere before installing, or are all lubrication points internal? I know the aftermarket vertical links came with a grease packet, but the factor ones came with nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JustinLynn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/PP2
You don't need to lube anything on your tie rod ends when you install them, just make sure that the outer tie rod moves freely on the inner tie rod, as does the lock nut for the outer tie rod. For the vertical links, no lube will be necessary there either, but Ford does recommend to replace the 2 mounting bolts. Also you will need to compress the suspension before torquing down those 2 bolts to avoid messing up the bushings in the vertical links. Hope that helps.

Edit: sorry, I see that you said toe rod and I read tie rod. For your toe rods, you also are supposed to replace the mounting hardware and torque that down with the suspension compressed. If you aren't doing this on an alignment rack, your alignment is going to be off, but just for installation purposes, your best bet will probably be to tighten everything down with at least the rear of the car sitting on some ramps.

Last edited: