Sponsored

Baby needs its first bath, lessons learned?

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Are there any idiot proof ceramic coatings out there? Hate to screw up my paint, and don't really feel like doing a test vehicle first for practice.
Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. It's a hybrid ceramic, but is definitely idiot proof and works very well. The application was very easy.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..and don't really feel like doing a test vehicle first for practice.
JT: I've yet to do my first ceramic job as well but polishing experience tells me that if you want to go with true ceramic, you might think about maybe getting some practice on the wife's vehicle, like maybe a deck lid or similar.

It's pretty nasty stuff from what I understand and it's almost impossible to get off beyond it wearing off over time so as you said, you wanna do it right and, get it evenly applied.

I've also never tried Griot's 3-in-1 wax but after reading their description, I think it's probably just a good wax with no actual "ceramic" component. Somehow, they get a pseudo molecular bond with it that typical waxes don't achieve and that's where they seem to tie it to "ceramic."

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax. It's a hybrid ceramic, but is definitely idiot proof and works very well. The application was very easy.
I just purchased the 3-in-1 but have not tried it yet. But there spray on wax works well also.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I just purchased Adams ceramic kit. Going to try it on the 67 and see how well it works. When I pickup the 20 I will then apply it to that

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I think that's a good plan, Chris. Maybe a bit more product needed in the end, but you'll have experience. Plus, God forbid you're anything like me as I screw up SOMETHING no matter what so for me, practice helps. Hopefully you'll learn enough to avoid mistakes and, finish it in half the time you spent on the '67.

Sponsored

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I think that's a good plan, Chris. Maybe a bit more product needed in the end, but you'll have experience. Plus, God forbid you're anything like me as I screw up SOMETHING no matter what so for me, practice helps. Hopefully you'll learn enough to avoid mistakes and, finish it in half the time you spent on the '67.
Agreed. I ended up getting the full kit and the wash essentials....so I pretty much got the entire start to finish. Wash, clay, prep, kit and maintenance. Wife was not pleased. lol I may indeed have gone a bit over board

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I must admit the thought and the concept surrounding ceramic coatings is intriguing. Further reading in some cases. I say some cause realizing, things mentioned are the users own fault. The risk to a cars finish must be considered. Everything read so far, has this once applied, you are stuck with it period. Not a chance I'd to take that gamble on any of my cars, and especially this art work called a Mustang.

Here are a few what ifs or could be's

1 prep can take 8 hr
2 streaking is possible
3 over lapping of product is seen
4 not 1 mention as to how to correct the 2 above, other then a hope & a prayer it wear off......... WTF ?
5 complaining about 600 $ application fee...
Hell that's not bad considering the chances for screw ups. By an amateur, myself included
6 Then as we all know there are some folks that will say they can
do lots on things. Then their biggest talent is operating a cell phone.

I think the ceramic coatings are just fine for others. I'm sticking with wash often and past wax.

The Mustang just might wax it 4 times a year. It is not a big car takes little time to wax . Someone mentioned they hurt their delicate little arm using past wax. Again comes back to the user.

Put too much wax on (thick) wait to long to remove............ yes that could be a bitch. Thinking that person should learn about spit shining a pair of boots, us vets understand that .

Cheers,
Pep

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Pep: I hear ya and I've done some or all of the same reading. But what I've observed with my eyes, when done either by a pro or a careful amateur is, the result is pretty striking and I've yet to see any of those issues you mentioned.

However, I think that the frequency of your waxing is less important than the frequency of washes. The hydroscopic properties are more important for regular washes while the "ceramic" properties are to minimize scratches and, maintain shine.

So, I'd say if you wash no more often than monthly, I wouldn't bother but for those like myself who wash multiple times a week, then ceramic is probably more indicated for those situations.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Agreed. I ended up getting the full kit and the wash essentials....so I pretty much got the entire start to finish. Wash, clay, prep, kit and maintenance. Wife was not pleased. lol I may indeed have gone a bit over board
You did it right by buying the kit. I get that there are reservations on 9H ceramic products but in the words of Happy Gilmore - YOU CAN DO IT!
Do your wife's car and she'll get it. I did my wife's Highlander and it looks amazing. She's happy - I'm happy.

If you want to dip your toe in the ceramic waters without going to 9H types here is a great compromise. Love this product and I'd use it after washing and claybar. Shine on people
https://adamspolishes.com/collections/adam-pitales-personal-favorite-products/products/adams-cs3

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
OH3: I like the sound of that CS3 product and I just ordered some to try, thanks. I don't think I'll be ABLE to use it on the car if she has ANY dirt on her <smiling> but I will test that out as it sure SOUNDS like it's doable without scratching. That would cut my usual wipe off and spray wax time in half.

I think to accomplish the above, one would need multiple application MF cloths as they get dirty.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
KB I would NEVER use it as a "waterless wash" but use it after a normal wash like a detail spray. Works wonders on window, glasses etc. Get good microfiber towels too!

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Look who has an Avatar now! Thanks KB! I am somebody. And the cool thing is I helped to pull the picture featured off in May of 18.