Sponsored

AWD Mustangs Possible

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Oh yeah, of course it can… also, what Falc'man says makes sense: “If Farruko is right, that S650 will remain on current platform, then this speculation is highly unlikely.”
Perhaps in the short run it can continue on its own platform, but eventually the platform will become so obsolete it can't continue. And if, at that time, there isn't something to share with, I don't see how the bean counters will let the Mustang continue. We on this forum all love the Mustang and can't imagine anyone authorizing its demise, but it just doesn't sell enough each year to justify engineering it's own platform.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Perhaps in the short run it can continue on its own platform
Let's say, for the 7th Gen. I don't know when the 8G will arrive but I assume it will be by the end of the next decade (2020's).

...but eventually the platform will become so obsolete it can't continue. And if, at that time, there isn't something to share with, I don't see how the bean counters will let the Mustang continue. We on this forum all love the Mustang and can't imagine anyone authorizing its demise
The mustang will continue, Ford will not let it die.... it might evolve but a "Mustang" in the end.

..but it just doesn't sell enough each year to justify engineering it's own platform.
That's the thing, the "engineering" for its platform it's already made (if it happens to stay on the same platform) it will only be revised and have a few modifications to stay up to date.

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
So to recap all the posts in this thread (pay attention Ford): rear wheel drive Mustang V8, with electric motors in the front, driver selectable between rwd for fun and spooling up the front electric motors for awd hybrid driving. This setup would eliminate the need for a traditional awd drivetrain (saving some weight). The electric motors at 5he front wheels would do the work of making it hybrid and awd imho

Emrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I might have given the Challenger GT a serious look if they had given it the V8 engine. Would love to see an AWD Mustang (and am happy with the surprisingly good snow/wet mode in the meantime).

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
AWD Mustang = Gas rear, motors front.

But in all actuality, it might be 4 banger in fwd, while electric motors in the rear to help for high torque acceleration.
A FWD Mustang???? :shocked: :doh:

That's sacrelidge!

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
rear wheel drive Mustang V8, with electric motors in the front, driver selectable between rwd for fun and spooling up the front electric motors for awd hybrid driving. This setup would eliminate the need for a traditional awd drivetrain (saving some weight). The electric motors at 5he front wheels would do the work of making it hybrid and awd imho
EXACTLY!

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This news has already been know for some time but I sure hope it goes AWD ... selectable would be even better.

I'd then have no issue whatsoever FI boosting the engine as grip won't be a problem.
Youd be wrong, evos, sti and gtr all have tractiom problems even with awd on summers around 750whp. My sti had traction issues out the ass unless on slicks. Anyone that tells you different has no experience or lying. A properly set up rwd suspension for the intended racing will have more traction.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Youd be wrong, evos, sti and gtr all have tractiom problems even with awd on summers around 750whp. My sti had traction issues out the ass unless on slicks. Anyone that tells you different has no experience or lying. A properly set up rwd suspension for the intended racing will have more traction.
9 years ago when I was at Byron, IL there was an STI that smoked all 4 tires, he couldn't get a clean pass but still ran low 9's with a lot of tire smoke trailing behind. :eyebulge:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
9 years ago when I was at Byron, IL there was an STI that smoked all 4 tires, he couldn't get a clean pass but still ran low 9's with a lot of tire smoke trailing behind. :eyebulge:
I had a mustang that smoked the tires down the 8th mile and still ran 8.70s at 173:lol: it wasnt a major smoke show but it was visible behind me

My sti with 6766 didnt like traction without slicks. I had issues til mid way through 3rd. It was easily 150mph car

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
2019 stuff is in June for the Challenger, but odd an RWD Challenger GT model is confirmed?

Thought the purpose of the GT trims was AWD on Charger/Challenger.

Even if a Hemi was brought back only in 5.7L instead of 392 for AWD on a Challenger, I would look into it and most likely bite the bullet if it had a widebody trim as well:)

Dream car would be a Challenger GT Shaker Wide Body Hemi for me.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
They better put it on a diet if they're serious about 4WD, it's way too porky already.

It's generally a lot easier to make a FWD vehicle AWD than a RWD vehicle. It is certainly possible but it will add weight (mostly up front, where you don't want it) and cost.

Course a Hybid car can use electric motors for the front wheels, which is much easier to package.
Sponsored