Sponsored

Automatic Mustang Kangarooing

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Hello,

now that I got a bit more familiar with the mustang (a new 2021 automatic) I started using it more often in S mode with the manual paddles.
I've noticed that in second and third gear, if I use about half throttle, the car starts kangarooing quite badly, going back and forth almost as if I was pressing and releasing the throttle.

It goes away if I quickly shift up, but it's quite annoying and it'll be good to know if it's normal behaviour or something can be done to make it go away.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
My previous A10 would hunt/lurch when cold and occasionally get confused between gears, but not as bad as you describe

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Thanks for the links, really interesting read!

My car actually shifts fine, the problem is only when I try to hold a gear and try to get to high revs.

If I feather the throttle or I floor it it's fine, but if I go heavy but not too much it judders between 2k and 3k revs. Almost feel like the fuel supply is getting interrupted.

I have the feeling it's the way the car is and I'll have to learn to manage it, but I wondered if it could be something a retune might improve.

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
I used to have this... nothing wrong with the car other than poor design. If in manual mode you could only really pull away from a junction if flooring it. If trying to be conservative it would still deliver too much power causing me to lift off reactively, but then the inertia would make my foot hit the throttle again over and over...!

Basically if approaching a junction/stop i'd always pop it back into full auto before returning to manual once pulled away.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
sounds like it needs looking at as the A10 is supposed to be a great gearbox but can have a funky tune from the start. There is some reset you do esp for a 2nd hand car that clears the adaptive memory settings and then it learns your own driving style thus being better suited. No gearbox should buck / change gear back and forth on a constant throttle. my 2p

OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Got some replies on the "global" forum, it does look like it might be caused by high throttle sensibility and the foot slighlty bobbing up and down

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
r actually shifts fine, the problem is only when I try to hold a gear and try to get to high revs.

If I feather the throttle or I floor it it's fine, but if I go heavy but not too much it judders between 2k and 3k revs. Almost feel like the fuel supply is getting interrupted.
This could be a lock up shudder. The box is known to have a slight shudder when the torque converter locks up occasionally, especially when properly hot. It feels like driving over a cattle grid, occasionally happened on my car.

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
Maybe you got one of the cars that was destined for Australia........ just kidding. I used to get this in one of my Falcon GTs but it was minor and only occasionally when travelling really slowly and it was a manual so a dip of the clutch and gear change usually fixed it.

OP
OP
Mrninja13

Mrninja13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It's actually gotten better now, not sure if it's because of the warmer weather, me learning how to dose the throttle or some "intelligent" car system learning.

But it seems clear now that it was a throttle sensitivity issue. Coming from a GT86, the throttle in the Toyota was a bit dull, so I got used to push down quite a bit when accelerating and didn't matter if my foot was slightly bobbing up and down.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
The auto's do 'learn' shifting calibrations based on the driver, this constantly adapts as the car ages but the majority is done in the first 50-100 miles or so. It's possible to reset what the gearbox has learned by removing power to it for a short while and forcing a reset that way, then going for a drive and letting it re-adapt again.

I haven't driven an A10 but in the ZF 6sp the hire cars could get quite bad to the point where it feels like a different gearbox is fitted altogether. My own one feels absolutely bang on but it's had a few resets for various reasons over the years.

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
The auto's do 'learn' shifting calibrations based on the driver, this constantly adapts as the car ages but the majority is done in the first 50-100 miles or so. It's possible to reset what the gearbox has learned by removing power to it for a short while and forcing a reset that way, then going for a drive and letting it re-adapt again.

I haven't driven an A10 but in the ZF 6sp the hire cars could get quite bad to the point where it feels like a different gearbox is fitted altogether. My own one feels absolutely bang on but it's had a few resets for various reasons over the years.
I have just got a convertible 21.5 model and coming from a 17 vert it is very noticeable. The 6 speed auto was a joy to drive and very smooth the A10 is not. To be fair I have only done about 180k or about 112 miles so in early stages but it is very obvious and similar to "hunting" I used to get in earlier carburetor cars. IIRC the manual says that the car needs about 1500k to settle in.
I will continue to drive it to put on some milage before I go back to the dealer as I assume the ECU could be flashed or whatever they do. It is good to know that it is not just me but a recognized problem. Other than that and no blind spot monitoring available , I am extremely happy with the car.
Sponsored