Auto Shift Issues

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My wife has a '15 Mustang equipped with the 3.7L V6 and Auto trans. The car is great and drives well but I have noticed one issue that I wanted to inquire about here. I have a lot of experience driving manual transmission Mustangs but this is my first adventure with an automatic.

When in D mode, the auto trans hesitates in selecting a gear, particularly when decelerating and then suddenly accelerating, the car "hunts" for which gear to select for a second or two. It is also hangs and refuses to shift when accelerating hard and then "backing out" of the accelerator (not fully releasing just reducing full acceleration). Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Sponsored

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
What you are describing is typical automatic transmission behavior.

XDMan

El Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium With 50th Anniversary Pack
This doesn't happen in my GT, perhaps some V6 guys can weigh-in.

OP
OP

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
What you are describing is typical automatic transmission behavior.
Not to be difficult but I have other auto trans vehicles including an F250 and a Nissan Xterra and I have never experienced this issue with any of those vehicles.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Mine does this as well, and I think it is just the transmission trying to figure out what the hell you want it to do!;)

When in sport, mine seems like it knows I want to go fast, and I want to have power on command, so it acts like that and stays in a lower gear. The drive is trying to be more fuel efficient, but also wants to give you power when you want it, but with sudden accelerator changes, it gets confused.

Try driving in sport - it should be a lot more to your liking.

Just don't forget that once you touch the paddles in sport, it stays in peddle mode until you take it out of drive. Figured that out at the same time I found out about the rev limiter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Thanks UglyJohn, I will play around more with Sport mode

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I have a 2015 ecoboost mustang, Auto transmission with PP, when I shift from P>R , R>D or vice versa, I feel the car "jerking". I think the transmission needs a second or two for it to shift into the gears thus producing the "jerky" feeling I get when I put it in any gear. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also when the car takes off from a stand still, the throttle responds feels abit laggy.. Could it be cause at a stand still the RPM's are to low(500-700) and the car only takes off once the RPM's are at 1K+, or is this just normal for turbo engines?

OP
OP

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have a 2015 ecoboost mustang, Auto transmission with PP, when I shift from P>R , R>D or vice versa, I feel the car "jerking". I think the transmission needs a second or two for it to shift into the gears thus producing the "jerky" feeling I get when I put it in any gear. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also when the car takes off from a stand still, the throttle responds feels abit laggy.. Could it be cause at a stand still the RPM's are to low(500-700) and the car only takes off once the RPM's are at 1K+, or is this just normal for turbo engines?
I notice the same "lag" issue with my wife's V6 Mustang. It takes the transmission a second or two to shift into gear. It must just be something prevalent in this design.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I get the lag as well, plus the metallic clunk everyone is having...

I have gotten so that I just wait a second after shifting to let it catch up. My Pontiac G6 never had this lag, but the transmission on it wasn't near as robust as this is.

OP
OP

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I noticed another issue when driving my wife's Mustang yesterday in D mode. During max acceleration, the transmission holds the gear until it hits the rev limiter before it shifts. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced that issue.

It seems Ford should have calibrated the computer to shift just before the rev limiter kicks in so you don't get a momentary reduction in power because the rev limiter was engaged.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I noticed another issue when driving my wife's Mustang yesterday in D mode. During max acceleration, the transmission holds the gear until it hits the rev limiter before it shifts. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced that issue.

It seems Ford should have calibrated the computer to shift just before the rev limiter kicks in so you don't get a momentary reduction in power because the rev limiter was engaged.
I will have to try this, I don't think I have ever been WOT in D haha. In S without the paddles it shifts beautifully at 7k rpm every time for me. WOT in D should shift just fine as well, very odd.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT

How long have you had your car?

Mine did this for the first 1,000 or so miles. Seems to be getting better now, as the computer is learning a shift pattern.

OP
OP

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
We have had the car since March and it has 6K on it currently.
Sponsored