Aussie Exhausts

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Fitted today, my new Borla Touring (US Spec) Cat Back system.
I was after that nice old school sound, deep and throaty but not to loud. First thoughts as I have not driven far as yet, "Love it".
Thank you Fred [MENTION=23751]Vogtland Mustang[/MENTION]

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
Sponsored

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
PG68, a review would be great please. I'm tossing up between the Touring and S-type and trying to get as much feedback/review as possible, before bugging Fred again. lol

I'm particularly interested on your thoughts on sound at various RPMs and at various highway speeds please, say 100 - 120kph.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
good work....I'd go the US Touring over anything else....

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Fitted today, my new Borla Touring (US Spec) Cat Back system.
I was after that nice old school sound, deep and throaty but not to loud. First thoughts as I have not driven far as yet, "Love it".
Thank you Fred [MENTION=23751]Vogtland Mustang[/MENTION]

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
That is exactly what I have fitted here in the UK:thumbsup:..... started off with Xpipe in place of the resonator, but soon realised I couldn't live with the rasp, so chucked the resonator in......happy now:D

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
That is exactly what I have fitted here in the UK:thumbsup:..... started off with Xpipe in place of the resonator, but soon realised I couldn't live with the rasp, so chucked the resonator in......happy now:D

Are you still running the factory rear mufflers with the Borla resonator...

Liber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 1971 XY GT
Custom setup for Magnaflow mufflers and tips are going on today, dropped the horse off this morning for the new 'neigh' upgrade. Will try get some pictures up when finished.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing you can do if you haven't got the Borla resonator or you don't want the Borla resonator is to use two hot dogs and a H-pipe/X-pipe.

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Fitted the S-Type with black tips today - sounds sick! It's just how I imagined it to sound in the first place. I am glad that it's not as loud as it sounds in the videos inside the cabin, I really like it and am enjoying it. Will post a video over the next few days hopefully.

Sponsored

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
PG68, a review would be great please. I'm tossing up between the Touring and S-type and trying to get as much feedback/review as possible, before bugging Fred again. lol

I'm particularly interested on your thoughts on sound at various RPMs and at various highway speeds please, say 100 - 120kph.
Borla touring cat back review-

Now that I have driven the car for a long drive including some twisty spirited driving through the hills, I feel that I can now give some feed back / thoughts on the fitted system, the Borla touring cat back.

Firstly I think we need to remember that the stock system as supplied from new gives a very mutted sound. Stock standard start up’s are not too loud and somewhere within that standard exhaust you can hear the real V8 Coyote. Driving at cruising speeds there is basically no much sound, only when tramping the throttle you hear that V8 sound. But in reflection a bulk of the sound is that sound tube thingy. The stock system is fine if that’s what you want, but for others looking for the Coyote within then the only option is an aftermarket system.

Borla basically make three separate systems with the Touring version being the tamest in terms of volume. What I like about the Borla is that the Touring gives that deep old school sound of a V8. In terms of loudness, yes it is louder throughout the whole rev range, but firstly let me explain further. Coming back to the stock system, you can not really compare in some respects as the Borla Touring is different in many levels. If you have driven your car with the stock system for a couple of thousand Klm’s before changing to the Borla Touring you will get a surprise because in some ways you are very used to your stock system, I was a little shocked at first myself. I had to stop comparing and just evaluate the Borla on its own merits alone. This is not a clogged up ADR compliant system but a stand alone product.

Start up-
Upon cold start up the Borla comes alives but quickly settles as the revs drop to a deep bass type rumble. In terms of loudness compared to stock it is louder indeed. But not offensive or likely to wake the neighbor hood. My car lives in a metal shed, so the sound on start up sounds louder for the reason that my shed is like a sound amplifier, when in the open the sound is not bad at all on the loudness scale. If the stock system on a scale of one to ten was a five, the Borla would be a seven on start up.

General tame driving-
I drive a manual so my car will mostly likely rev further than an auto even in normal driving mode due to human involvement. What I like about the Borla Touring is that I hear that sound in the background as my car revs through the gears. Again it is a deep burble / rumble that I hear and as the revs rise so does that sound. But under the 3000 Rpm range the sound is mellow but deep. I am finding already I am changing up gear earlier as I am not trying to extract that exhaust sound, the Borla just gives it to me throughout the range.

On a scale from one to ten around town driving if the stock was a five, the Borla is again a seven and at times an eight. But eight does not mean it is offensive, just that at times the stock system has no sound whereas the Borla has, thus the eight on the scale of loudness.

On the highway / top gear-
No drone but there is a rumble in the background, not offensive or going to drive you crazy. This is your daily driver exhaust system, closest to stock but not stock. I put a song on the stereo and after about “8” on the stereo volume control I found it hard to hear the pipes out back. When cruising in that sub 2000 Rpm range the pipes are very close to stock sound levels, you hear a little less tyre road noise and little more exhaust, that’s all.

Spirited Driving-
The Borla Touring lets you know this is what a V8 is all about, that sound, simple as that!!. When you tramp that throttle the system lets you know that under that long and beautiful bonnet / hood a V8 resides, a 5 litre Coyote. You are not going to hear that sound or rising roar when driving tame, but when you want the Borla tells you in spades. No loudness scale required, just enjoy that sound anywhere from 3000 Rpm upwards under “who gives a shit about fuel economy throttle applications”.

To round it out, I like this system, it gave me what I wanted, a deep V8 sound with no rasp. A sound my generation grew up hearing. When a car went by and had that deep rumble we all knew it was a V8, the Borla Touring is that system that brings back those memories for this man.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Are you still running the factory rear mufflers with the Borla resonator...
Sorry for the slow reply....didn't revisit the thread:(...

No I'm running the Borla silencers...

Basicallly I started off by buying a full catback which was the Ford racing Borla Touring system which looked like this...

But I didn't like the rasp, so took out the Xpipe at the front, and replaced it with the resonator from Borla..... it was a straight swap and took about 15 minutes...

So if I fancy a bit more noise I can just swap back, but to be honest I much prefer it with the resonator :thumbsup::D

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
Im yet to read anyone not liking their Borla Touring... "IF" I ever went a full catback I think thats what I would go with "BUT" as my SLP Loudmouth 2's settle in a bit I couldn't imagine a system or sound rather that I like better...It's a 10/10 in regards to boxes it ticks for me. The only downside to what I have is down the track for future mods I "think" a catback would flow better. But I still don't know if there will ever be a point where a full catback is needed? If I go Forced Induction a Borla touring is 2.5" I beleive so a 3" would be better....but then that's just a whole new can of worms :)

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is the Touring really a cst-back though? It still has a resonator - I'm just under the impression that cat backs have the resonators removed?

Picked up my GT today.... the stock is pretty quiet unless the revs are above 4k.. and even then..and this is my 1st V8. Was expecting abit more grunt in the noise.

Those of you with the S-type cat backs.. how do you find the noise at 3k rpm? Or at 120kph?
Sponsored