Sponsored

Aussie Exhausts

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is the Touring really a cst-back though? It still has a resonator - I'm just under the impression that cat backs have the resonators removed?

Picked up my GT today.... the stock is pretty quiet unless the revs are above 4k.. and even then..and this is my 1st V8. Was expecting abit more grunt in the noise.

Those of you with the S-type cat backs.. how do you find the noise at 3k rpm? Or at 120kph?
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Is the Touring really a cst-back though? It still has a resonator - I'm just under the impression that cat backs have the resonators removed?

Picked up my GT today.... the stock is pretty quiet unless the revs are above 4k.. and even then..and this is my 1st V8. Was expecting abit more grunt in the noise.

Those of you with the S-type cat backs.. how do you find the noise at 3k rpm? Or at 120kph?
Yes it's a cat back.....it fits behind the cats, and goes to the back:D

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Porsche 987 Spyder

Hi Myke

Catback actually refers to any exhaust that hooks up as complete system behind the catalytic convertors. Whether it has a resonator, an X Pipe or a H Pipe it is still a Catback.
We have the BORLA S Type fitted on our Mustang and love the sound, the BORLA Touring is slightly less noisy but still gives you that true V8 muscle car sound.
If you had an S Type you can always replace the X Pipe with a Borla resonator/front muffler to lower the sound level it does not make it as quiet as a Touring but it will subdue the noise if that's what you want. The same for the BORLA ATAK.
There is no drone from any of the BORLA systems whether at 100 or 120k and they sound sweet at 3000rpm as you are climbing up the rev range.
All BORLA systems flow greater than the factory system which is limited due to its design and noise suppression.
If you have any questions call me on 03 9553 6915 or email [email protected] Cheers Fred

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Borla touring cat back review-

Now that I have driven the car for a long drive including some twisty spirited driving through the hills, I feel that I can now give some feed back / thoughts on the fitted system, the Borla touring cat back.

Firstly I think we need to remember that the stock system as supplied from new gives a very mutted sound. Stock standard start up’s are not too loud and somewhere within that standard exhaust you can hear the real V8 Coyote. Driving at cruising speeds there is basically no much sound, only when tramping the throttle you hear that V8 sound. But in reflection a bulk of the sound is that sound tube thingy. The stock system is fine if that’s what you want, but for others looking for the Coyote within then the only option is an aftermarket system.

Borla basically make three separate systems with the Touring version being the tamest in terms of volume. What I like about the Borla is that the Touring gives that deep old school sound of a V8. In terms of loudness, yes it is louder throughout the whole rev range, but firstly let me explain further. Coming back to the stock system, you can not really compare in some respects as the Borla Touring is different in many levels. If you have driven your car with the stock system for a couple of thousand Klm’s before changing to the Borla Touring you will get a surprise because in some ways you are very used to your stock system, I was a little shocked at first myself. I had to stop comparing and just evaluate the Borla on its own merits alone. This is not a clogged up ADR compliant system but a stand alone product.

Start up-
Upon cold start up the Borla comes alives but quickly settles as the revs drop to a deep bass type rumble. In terms of loudness compared to stock it is louder indeed. But not offensive or likely to wake the neighbor hood. My car lives in a metal shed, so the sound on start up sounds louder for the reason that my shed is like a sound amplifier, when in the open the sound is not bad at all on the loudness scale. If the stock system on a scale of one to ten was a five, the Borla would be a seven on start up.

General tame driving-
I drive a manual so my car will mostly likely rev further than an auto even in normal driving mode due to human involvement. What I like about the Borla Touring is that I hear that sound in the background as my car revs through the gears. Again it is a deep burble / rumble that I hear and as the revs rise so does that sound. But under the 3000 Rpm range the sound is mellow but deep. I am finding already I am changing up gear earlier as I am not trying to extract that exhaust sound, the Borla just gives it to me throughout the range.

On a scale from one to ten around town driving if the stock was a five, the Borla is again a seven and at times an eight. But eight does not mean it is offensive, just that at times the stock system has no sound whereas the Borla has, thus the eight on the scale of loudness.

On the highway / top gear-
No drone but there is a rumble in the background, not offensive or going to drive you crazy. This is your daily driver exhaust system, closest to stock but not stock. I put a song on the stereo and after about “8” on the stereo volume control I found it hard to hear the pipes out back. When cruising in that sub 2000 Rpm range the pipes are very close to stock sound levels, you hear a little less tyre road noise and little more exhaust, that’s all.

Spirited Driving-
The Borla Touring lets you know this is what a V8 is all about, that sound, simple as that!!. When you tramp that throttle the system lets you know that under that long and beautiful bonnet / hood a V8 resides, a 5 litre Coyote. You are not going to hear that sound or rising roar when driving tame, but when you want the Borla tells you in spades. No loudness scale required, just enjoy that sound anywhere from 3000 Rpm upwards under “who gives a shit about fuel economy throttle applications”.

To round it out, I like this system, it gave me what I wanted, a deep V8 sound with no rasp. A sound my generation grew up hearing. When a car went by and had that deep rumble we all knew it was a V8, the Borla Touring is that system that brings back those memories for this man.

Hi Peter

Thank you for a great write up on the Borla Touring system that you purchased from us.
Very happy that you have the sound that you were seeking.
Cheers Fred from SuspensionPartsOnline.com.au factory authorised Australian BORLA distributors. 03 9553 6915

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe

A "cat back" replaces everything from the catalytic converter to the back - even if it replaces the resonator with another resonator, it's still a cat back :)

At 3k my S-Type is louder than the stock exhaust ever gets I reckon. At 100kmph if you're hammering it in low gear it's loud, if you're cruising it's fairly quiet because you're still at low revs in high gear, similarly up at 110 - don't think I've had it at 120 since the switch.

Generally it's at a rumble (because of no resonator) below about 1500 revs; beyond that it's growling or screaming :)

Sponsored

Bolted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Race Red

Myke I have the S-Type and if you watch the CJ Pony parts review it is the closest to the sound you actually get out of the system. The first 20 secs of the video is a good indicator. Also, if you listen to the cabin sound while Bill is doing the review that is the deep note you hear while driving.

Last week I did a trip from where I live to Torquay, which is about 1.5 hours away and then kept going to Airey's Inlet along the Great Ocean road then back home (about 2 hrs) and the sound never got annoying. Got the Revs up to about 4k and there was no rasp at all, just a beautiful deep tone. The wife and two teenage sons in the back did not complain at all until the car went quiet at cruising speed and then I was promptly told to give it a little gas :headbang:.

I was initially going to purchase the Touring but after talking to Fred and listening to his set up, Fred didn't think I was going to obtain the volume I wanted, so I chose the S Type and I am super happy with it.

Sound is very subjective, so what floats my boat may not necessary be what someone else enjoys, so I strongly suggest you listen to a system in person.

Hope that helps.

[ame]

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
So I'm still deciding on my exhaust. Definitely lacking in the sound department, but I just want to make sure I get the one I'll be happy with.

My thoughts. Catbacks only.

Magnaflow Competition:
Sounds awesome, however it may be too droney judging by some reports. Finally heard it in person but hard to know if it is too droney to live with.
I absolutely love the 4.5" tips, looks great.

Corsa Xtreme:
Only heard in videos on youtube but love the sound. Some places quoting ridiculous prices, like $4200 supply only. Anyone suggest any good suppliers? Preferably Qld.

Borla S-Type:
This may sound petty, but I hate the look of the tips on the Borla. I think the rounded edge looks almost factory and so dated. MAYBE I can live with black tips but I have never seen any in person. Anyone got good pics they can share? Love the sound from youtube videos but never heard it in person.
Would love the ATAK, but maybe my neighbours or cops won't.

XForce:
Maybe. They sound and look good and are quite cheap.

Roush:
Also a petty tips complaint.. I hate the angle of them, looks silly in my opinion. I have ruled them right out.

Any input from anyone who has heard those systems or knows of any good suppliers in Qld? I'd love to get a new system over the next couple of weeks.

PPL374

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Due April 2017)
If you're happy to live with the Xtreme then i'd consider the ATAK as it's not as loud as the Xtreme.

Car Mods Australia stock a fair few exhaust options. If they don't have what you're looking for on the website then flick them a message and they can get you a price. They are based on the Goldy as well so you can pick the exhaust up and save the postage fee.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Corsa Xtreme:
Only heard in videos on youtube but love the sound. Some places quoting ridiculous prices, like $4200 supply only. Anyone suggest any good suppliers? Preferably Qld.
Don't settle for anything less :thumbsup: almost 6 months with the Xtreme and I still can't get over this exhaust.

I was going to post this in the other thread, but here's a short vid from my dashcam :ninja: (I hesitated before planting my foot, was looking around for cops lol) - and I don't know the M4, didn't even notice him as I pulled up to the lights

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145261781@N02/31800231105/in/dateposted-public/

Another that [MENTION=15485]MustangDownUnder[/MENTION] took

Also, just get it from the states, I bought from Hypermotive. Cost me a touch over 2 grand delivered like 8 months ago, and I installed it myself. Car Mods Aus are a massive ripoff for the Corsa

PPL374 is right too, the Xtreme is louder than the ATAK at WOT

Last edited:

rayan1910

Mustangs Of Melbourne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Woke up late to get the car to the shop today :doh: By any chance does anyone know how far you have to cut for the MRT H pipe on a vert?

Sponsored

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Borla S-Type:
This may sound petty, but I hate the look of the tips on the Borla. I think the rounded edge looks almost factory and so dated. MAYBE I can live with black tips but I have never seen any in person. Anyone got good pics they can share? Love the sound from youtube videos but never heard it in person.
Would love the ATAK, but maybe my neighbours or cops won't.
I've got the black tips on my ruby red and it looks nice I think. Also it sounds great - you know it's there but it doesn't attack your ears. 10:30pm, will try to post a photo up tomorrow morning, watch this space :)

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red

rayan1910

Mustangs Of Melbourne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Bad photo but I did get my Dyson V8 fixed today. The repair job consisted of the MRT H pipe and 11/12 GT500 Mufflers installed today. Awesome sound and what I wanted, it's about 30% louder than stock and has no drone. The tone is a bit more on the exotic side (kinda like the Corsa Sport). Just enough volume so that when the tops down you can hear it but not intrusive. Harry From Auto Exhaust Supplies in Alphington did a amazing job with the install at decent pricing. Will get a sound clip tomorrow.
IMG_0826.PNG.png

Vogtland Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanspeed.com.au
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Wishing all of our past and future customers a safe and happy Festive Season and thank you for choosing Vogtland Springs and Borla Exhausts for your car from suspensionpartsonline.com.au. (03) 9553 6915. Cheers Fred
VOGTLAND MUSTANG XMAS PIC.jpg
BORLA MUSTANG AUSTRALIA.jpg
SPRING PIC 4.jpg
Borla-Racing-Mustang-140590_vehicle_xl.jpg

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the feedback and advise guys.

I went for the Touring. Ordered on Wed and now in my hands today in Sydney! Thanks Fred!!
Sponsored