AudioDesignsCG Custom Subwoofer Box Review

Jklaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jo
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium w/Pony Package
First and foremost this isnt some audiophile review or install or anything. I just wanted to provide pictures and information about this subwoofer box because I bought it without seeing too many reviews.

Info About The Box:
The box is custom made by Audio Designs & Custom Graphics in Jacksonville. I bought it online and had it shipped. Their website has some information about the boxes (driver or passenger side) here and you can buy the box here. I already had a sub so the empty box costed $280 and overall was about $320 shipped to South Carolina.

The box itself is custom cut sheets of MDF stacked and glued together. They form the shape to fill the cavity in the trunk. The inside is sealed with fiberglass resin and it comes preinstalled with speaker wire.The speaker wire in the box is 12 gauge, seemed to be sealed pretty well. All the visible areas of the box are carpeted, but the back is not.

Mine had a slight scuff or something that the carpet didnt cover but overall is in pretty good shape.

My Personal Thoughts:
I tried to use fiberglass matt and resin to build a custom box in my last car. I spent about $130 and countless hours of labor just to make a subpar product. That is what convinced me that $300 really isnt too bad. I previously had my sub sitting in a big ported box, so I am very happy to have regained usable trunk space. My car is optioned with a spare tire, so I decided I didnt mind having my amp and LOC attached directly to my sub. I need to cut my trunk mat to access my spare now though.

The box fits really well in the space. Its my first time having a sealed box in my ~8 years of driving, so the sound definitely seems kinda quiet to me, but it sounds good.

Don't judge my wire management I mostly drive by myself lol

My old subwoofer setup (i knew i was eventually buying a new box)
Sponsored

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First and foremost this isnt some audiophile review or install or anything. I just wanted to provide pictures and information about this subwoofer box because I bought it without seeing too many reviews.

Info About The Box:
The box is custom made by Audio Designs & Custom Graphics in Jacksonville. I bought it online and had it shipped. Their website has some information about the boxes (driver or passenger side) here and you can buy the box here. I already had a sub so the empty box costed $280 and overall was about $320 shipped to South Carolina.

The box itself is custom cut sheets of MDF stacked and glued together. They form the shape to fill the cavity in the trunk. The inside is sealed with fiberglass resin and it comes preinstalled with speaker wire.The speaker wire in the box is 12 gauge, seemed to be sealed pretty well. All the visible areas of the box are carpeted, but the back is not.

Mine had a slight scuff or something that the carpet didnt cover but overall is in pretty good shape.

My Personal Thoughts:
I tried to use fiberglass matt and resin to build a custom box in my last car. I spent about $130 and countless hours of labor just to make a subpar product. That is what convinced me that $300 really isnt too bad. I previously had my sub sitting in a big ported box, so I am very happy to have regained usable trunk space. My car is optioned with a spare tire, so I decided I didnt mind having my amp and LOC attached directly to my sub. I need to cut my trunk mat to access my spare now though.

The box fits really well in the space. Its my first time having a sealed box in my ~8 years of driving, so the sound definitely seems kinda quiet to me, but it sounds good.

Don't judge my wire management I mostly drive by myself lol

My old subwoofer setup (i knew i was eventually buying a new box)

Very nice. I am interested in one of these. How do you like it? How does it sound. What sub did you use?

OP
OP
Jklaz

Jklaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jo
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium w/Pony Package
Very nice. I am interested in one of these. How do you like it? How does it sound. What sub did you use?
Sub: Kicker Comp RT 10"
Amp: Kicker CXA600.1

If you don't have a sub in your car, the difference is night and day. The 9 speaker system really needs the extra punch. My previous setup (same sub/amp, different box) was much louder/'boomier' being a ported bigger box, but this one still can get loud if I turn it up. I'm not exactly sure what the volume is of this box (I dont see it on the audiodesigncsg website anywhere), but I knew my sub could handle small sealed boxes. Sometimes I'll turn the sub control knob all the way down just to hear the music with and without the subwoofer, and I can't imagine how I lasted my first 6 months of ownership with no sub.

I've had it in just 4-5 days but I'm satisfied with the purchase so far.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
This is the best solution I came up when I was designing my system. Since I didn't have an existing sub, I got one of theirs. Everything was as you described. I and a mobile sound installer friend ended up mounting with single big bolt through the center bottom and into the frame; it hasn't moved a mm. I love the sound. See my sig for all my sound stuff.

Vincz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3
I just had this exact box installed in my gt350 with a audiophile 10 in woofer, driven by a punch premiere 500w mono amp. The box and sub are on sale right now, I live local so I had them install my amp and their box in my car today. It sounds pretty amazing and I am happy so far. They placed the amp in the spare tire location, I can take pictures later. I believe I paid 500 for the box and speaker (much cheaper than a JL Audio stealth box) and 220 for the rockford amp. Cost me 320 for the install with their wiring kit.

Huge difference in sound ( I also disconnected the center speaker on the dash as its garbage).

Considering upgrading my door mids and tweet with an amp in the future, but I'm pretty happy for now.

The guys in the shop are great, the work is professional quality

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Something like this?
mqrUrsh.jpg

zkxVLkw.jpg

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Look sweet! Still debating on the sub box. Currently have a Zenclosures single front firing box. Had a heck of a time trying to use forscan to remove the eq. Finally found out it was the OBD controller i was using. Didn't have the toggle switch. I have a Dayton DSP but I think I screwed it up somehow. Was thinking of the JL unit instead. Have all the speakers replaced and adedd a sub but had to revert back to using the LOC for the sub because couldn't get rid of the EQ. Was thinking of replaced the Zenclosures box with the one we have been talking about re-tackling the stereo in the fall lol

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, did it all myself except for mounting the sub.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thank you, did it all myself except for mounting the sub.
Looks like you will have a sweet setup when you're done. DIY is a lot of fun and very satisfying, knowing you did it yourself.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thanks and it is done now, just no pics of the finish (although above is pretty darn close). Added a link in my sig to the Audio Designs sub enclosure.

Last edited:

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
How do you secure the subwoofer box? Is it secured to the original mounting points?

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mine has a big bolt going through the center bottom of the enclosure to the frame of the car. It hasn't moved one mm yet in a year.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Mine has a big bolt going through the center bottom of the enclosure to the frame of the car. It hasn't moved one mm yet in a year.

So to remove the box you'd have to remove the subwoofer and get to the bolt head there? or jack up the car? or am I missing something super obvious.

Asking because I have the same box and it flops over if I corner too hard (read: probably too aggressively for the street), or if I hit a big enough mid-corner bump. I've alleviated this with a telescoping pole across the rear of the trunk I'd really love to get rid of.
Sponsored