Sponsored

ATTN: All 5.0 Manual(PP/Premium/Base) S550 Owners (Possibly Widespread Trans Issues?)

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Nemesys...what did they find? Was it a defective Throw-out Bearing as we suspected? :confused:
Service manager let me know that it seems Ford doesn't have just the throw out bearing available to order, its possibly they may replace the entire transmission completely. If I heard correctly they were just going to try and give me a new vehicle but they dont have my exact package in stock. Might know something this afternoon about the next step they are going to take, or at least by Friday afternoon.
I dont believe they even pulled the trans, since they are confident its the TOB Im assuming they are just ordering that but they cant. So the next step was to just replace the trans completely. May not know an update until Friday afternoon on what the next course of action will be.
Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
I dont believe they even pulled the trans, since they are confident its the TOB Im assuming they are just ordering that but they cant. So the next step was to just replace the trans completely. May not know an update until Friday afternoon on what the next course of action will be.
Whoa! complete tranny replacement for a simple Throw-out Bearing? Gee Wally, they must have a bunch of MT82's just sitting there needing a home (guess that will be the next enticement you get with your 6th generation 'stang...an extra Getrag MT82) :eyebulge:

Kjw86ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS
I've not had great experiences with Ford transmissions. Still a loyal buyer, but I've spent enough in transmission rebuilds that I could have purchased an additional car. Always has happened out of warranty!

-2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L I4, rebuilt transmission at 52,000 miles and again at 98,000 miles. Car now has 114k miles and still slams into first gear every time.
-1998 Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L V8, rebuilt transmission at 47,000 miles. Car never drove the same the rest of the time I owned it after the rebuild, sold with 110k miles on it.
-1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L V8, rebuilt transmission and transfer case at 7x,000 miles (don't recall here exact mileage, maybe 77k?)

Also, had a Lincoln LS with the 3.9L V8 and 5-speed transmission, never seemed to shift right.

Anyway, point being, this wouldn't surprise me!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
This is the manual transmission in the 5.0 right?

Apple Ford in Columbia MD offers a guaranteed powertrain for life with your car...free of charge.

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've not had great experiences with Ford transmissions. Still a loyal buyer, but I've spent enough in transmission rebuilds that I could have purchased an additional car. Always has happened out of warranty!

-2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L I4, rebuilt transmission at 52,000 miles and again at 98,000 miles. Car now has 114k miles and still slams into first gear every time.
-1998 Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L V8, rebuilt transmission at 47,000 miles. Car never drove the same the rest of the time I owned it after the rebuild, sold with 110k miles on it.
-1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L V8, rebuilt transmission and transfer case at 7x,000 miles (don't recall here exact mileage, maybe 77k?)

Also, had a Lincoln LS with the 3.9L V8 and 5-speed transmission, never seemed to shift right.

Anyway, point being, this wouldn't surprise me!
For the '10 Fusion - isn't the warranty 5 years/100K on powertrain, including the transmission?

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
I have herd this sound on mine but I chocked it up to it being cold outside. Since you have posted this I will listen more closely if I hear it again.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Not saying it isn't something worse but if it's just noises I'd say oh well? Nothing seems to happen just the noise right?

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
1,100 miles on mine and I haven't heard this noise. Good luck with yours and please keep us posted.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Yeah, first thought was T/O bearing. Must be POS stuff nowadays. Dealt with the same issues with my Jeep. Finally died at 60k. National had a much improved T/O bearing at time I pulled the trans to replace it.

Hoping National has something in the works for this setup, I'll need to check. Warranty to replace a bad part with another bad part to me, is a waste of time. I'd rather just pull it myself and fix it the first time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Not saying it isn't something worse but if it's just noises I'd say oh well? Nothing seems to happen just the noise right?
A part of me agrees with you, but the other part of me where Im at a car meet or hanging out and my car sounds like a 80s diesel for something I paid 40 grand for isnt okay with it.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I checked mine earlier today, and there were no noises even remotely similar to those in the video. But thanks for the heads up!

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Have any of the affected cars been an LE?

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
As I found out this week, LE's are still susceptible to regular problems. We had #589 get RETURNED to the dealership for body panel alignment and paint issues on Tuesday. I haven't heard of any others having issues but I'd still keep an eye (or ear) on yours just to be safe.
Hey JTR, how is Ford handling these body panel issues? Mine has a few especially hood line to front fender alignment. Just curious.

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
What kind of exhaust is on the car? It sounds louder than stock?

FWIW, there is absolutely zero correlation between oil pressure and tarnsmission anything. TOB, Clutch or trans internals. Can you "feel" the tick in the shifter? If it quits when the clutch is engaged, it sounds to me that it is clutch / trans related too.

It is a very strange sound indeed. Almost like the noise from a twin disc clutch.
Sponsored