Sponsored

ATTN: All 5.0 Manual(PP/Premium/Base) S550 Owners (Possibly Widespread Trans Issues?)

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Hey All,

Some of you all might recognize my name from the issues section right now, but it seems quite a few people are having similar problems with their transmission and Im posting here for high visibility. Mods please let this sit in the section for at least a little bit.

This is a repeatable problem that quite a few owners have posted they experience, and there's a lot of people that may have this issue but might now know about it because it requires a specific way to trigger the trans noise.

If enough people have this problem, and Ford knows about it, they may have to recall and fix the issue. It took a lot of work to get the dealer to acknowledge it, so please if you have some time test your vehicles!

Original Thread is Here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14267

To reproduce the problem you must do the following:

1. Car must be cold or cool. If its fully warmed up or has been driven at all the sound does not appear.
2. Sound does not come up until the RPMs have settled down to about 600. Initial start up has RPMs around 1000 then gradually goes down as car warms up. On a cold vehicle with cold temps this could take up to 10-15 minutes to reach full temp.
3. Once RPM finishes dropping the ticking starts from the transmission. It sounds almost like an exhaust leak.
4. Clutching in causes RPM to jump about 100rpm and noise stops.

This is a video of how it sounds:

[ame]

My Case Number with Ford currently is : CAS-5737879

Other users that have this same problem and symptoms:

Keep us posted! I just sat in my car for no less than 15 minutes and sure enough, right as it got warmed up and the RPMs dropped to ~700 the 'sputtering' noise started. Definitely coming from underneath the car and definitely near the transmission housing.

Now, if that were the only thing it would be hard to determine what it was, but that's not all folks. As soon as I press the clutch in to the floor, the RPMs go up about 100 and the noise stops, as soon as I depress the clutch, the RPMs drop to ~700 and the noise comes back.
Damnit I have that same fucking noise..

Is this what you talking about?

I also noted the first two times I went into reverse after getting the car I heard a loud hissing noise. It was almost like air hissing out of a tire but was of a hydraulic nature. I thought nothing of it at the time as I have not heard it since. When I noticed this TOB noise it has made me think twice about that noise. Does anyone know what kinda of TOB the MT-82 has and is the slave part of the TOB? Does the TOB use hydraulic pressure against it to keep it in line and lubricated?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
This only applies to the 5.0?

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
From what I've seen only 5.0 owners have posted about the issue, but I dont know if other owners use the MT82 , which if they do im sure it could apply too!

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I have been following your other thread. Thanks for the heads up! This is going to change my mind on how I plan to mod my car. I was going to install my supercharger the first day that I got my car but I think that I will give it some time to see if my car makes this noise. I guess that I don't want to screw my warranty on day one.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
Is this on manual transmission only? Or automatic too?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Steeda PP, Competition Orange,
JESUS it sounds like something is loose in there rattling around, I will be checking mine out as soon as I leave work.

Jotis73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 guard pp/gt base
Drive it hard for 59,000 miles then trade the SOB! For a 2017 in grabber blue with the 3rd generation sync. j/k could it be the oil pump working overtime dose the sound go away when the Oil PSI goes down?

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Drive it hard for 59,000 miles then trade the SOB! For a 2017 in grabber blue with the 3rd generation sync. j/k could it be the oil pump working overtime dose the sound go away when the Oil PSI goes down?

Well the sound does go away after the vehicle has warmed up and driven. I thought it was possibly a random break in noise, that started at 450ish miles, but at almost 900 now and the noise is there, but its consistently repeatable with those steps. Could be oil pressure related, but the noise isnt coming from the motor, I had one of those stethoscope things and heard it clear as day from the bellhousing.

It took me a while to figure out how to produce the noise, but after hearing it on a very short trip down the road and idling, and then cranking up the car a few times where it was almost cold, ( I always let my car idle down before I take off if I can), I picked up on how to do it. I had the car for three days more and each morning I did it and never failed to not hear it.

You MUST wait till the oil temp is almost completely normal for the sound to trigger though.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I haven't noticed this with my car at all. I have 1100 miles on it.

Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
I haven't noticed this yet, with right around 1000 miles on my car. I will listen more closely now, however.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Will the tremec from the last gem gt500 fit in the 15?

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just checked mine 1123mi no sounds. Let it go through your procedure and nothing. My build date was 10/30 but was held for a QC check for 3 weeks for some reason.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Well the sound does go away after the vehicle has warmed up and driven. I thought it was possibly a random break in noise, that started at 450ish miles, but at almost 900 now and the noise is there, but its consistently repeatable with those steps. Could be oil pressure related, but the noise isnt coming from the motor, I had one of those stethoscope things and heard it clear as day from the bellhousing.

It took me a while to figure out how to produce the noise, but after hearing it on a very short trip down the road and idling, and then cranking up the car a few times where it was almost cold, ( I always let my car idle down before I take off if I can), I picked up on how to do it. I had the car for three days more and each morning I did it and never failed to not hear it.

You MUST wait till the oil temp is almost completely normal for the sound to trigger though.
Nemesys...what did they find? Was it a defective Throw-out Bearing as we suspected? :confused:
Sponsored