ATI Dampner / Crank Support

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I am ready to yank my factory balancer and replace it with the ATI damper I have laying here. This may sound like a stupid question but when installing the dampner, do I just run it in until it stops? I've never pulled a balancer before so I'm a little curious on the installation and making sure my belt alignment is good after the install. I couldn't find any videos on You Tube.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Why
I am ready to yank my factory balancer and replace it with the ATI damper I have laying hear. This may sound like a stupid question but when installing the damper, do I just run it in until it stops? I've never pulled a balancer before so I'm a little curious on the installation and making sure my belt alignment is good after the install. I couldn't find any videos on You Tube.
Why do you want to swap out the factory damper? (They aren’t balancers).

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Follow ATI's instructions. Put a light coating of antisieze on the crank snout , use a balancer install tool. If you're using a grade 8 balancer bolt clean out the crank threads with brake cleaner and a pipe brush, apply assembly lube to the threads and torque to 145ft/lbs. Heating up the balancer can make it easier to install, but it should not be necessary to get it on. You should be able to feel when the balancer seats.

If you're really anal measure the distance from the front of the timing cover to the balancer seating face on the crank and then mark that distance on the hub of the balancer so you can visually verify its in fully.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Damper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks. I can't find the ATI instructions. Should be pretty straight forward, just wanting to know about the seating part.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Make sure you have a Torx 40+ bit before you get the balancer as you will need it to assemble the balancer before you can install it. I had to order it from Summit iirc.

OP
OP
Leonidas514

Leonidas514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Ya. I've got that but didn't have the 12 point one. Already got the balancer off. It was super easy, I'm thinking because it was off about a month ago replacing the timing cover gasket. A shop did that job though. I used an OEM tools Part #25090 three jaw puller to get it off.
Sponsored