Sponsored

At wit's end with lack of inside rear traction...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes, it's in my nature to lock onto what I view as a flaw and seek out a solution. You make a good point here and I'm trying to find that balance between expecting too much and expecting a car that simply works well. Weight and peak power aside, remember that I'm talking <1/4 throttle so nowhere near 435hp.

I know that this characteristic can be minimized if not eradicated due to many posters' response, including yours. Further, driving the auto today was very encouraging. Remember that I drove my car, a new PP and a new GT.... same road, same turns, same driver, same day, same temperature, same passenger...... the PPs acted identically while the GT acted very different. This tells us that something is different, weather it be the auto (doubt this), the diff (plausible) or the tires (plausible). I even goosed the auto pretty good and nothing but smooth forward push.

After first taking the shop foreman out in my car, he said "oh yeah, your clutch pack is shot". This tells us two things:

1. It was very obvious to a stranger, and
2. He had no clue that the PP doesn't have a clutch pack

I'm not suggesting that it is the Torsen. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's worse in the PP cars and my experience today made that crystal clear. For all we know the culprit is the P-zero:)

But we digress - the point of this thread is to find a solution and evaluate my findings along the way rather than get sucked into negativity. The diff bushings have made the car much more fun, so that's a very positive outcome of this quest - the car is legitimately better than it was.
Right, not trying to spread negativity. I think it's good you're doing this. Just trying to say something to keep you sane throughout the process.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
I've always viewed my car's tendency to scrabble for traction and feel a bit loose in tight low speed turns as feature rather than a problem. It makes the car feel more alive.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I believe I have a very good idea at the culprit. I currently have all steeda mods for suspension if you read my list, except..... LCA bearings which will be getting installed this weekend and that should finish my suspension build for the moment. The culprit is both the lca bushings and the pirellis. If you'll notice it does this greatly when it is cold, the pirellis are not recommended for use in temps below 45 degrees. You will notice that once you warm the tires up it does this a lot less. I used to have a Dodge Challenger RT and had the stock firestone f1 on there and they did the same thing once I swapped them out it didn't do it anymore. I am also due for new tires as well. I will be getting the LCA bearings installed and the Michelin pilot super sports this weekend and I will let you guys know of the outcome and if the car does this anymore.

OP
OP

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Back to work today - the first time I've had the diff bushings out in both truly dry conditions as well as my 'nomal' routine and wow is the car so much more responsive. Further, I'm happy to report a notable reduction in inside tire hop - probably 25% percent, so that's progress. Make sense as the diff isn't flapping around in the wind as much and thus keeping more constant torque on the wheel and tire.

But oh man do the diff bushings make the car feel good. Highly, highly recommended. I'm probably going to go to the Steeda blacks for a pinch more response.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Back to work today - the first time I've had the diff bushings out in both truly dry conditions as well as my 'nomal' routine and wow is the car so much more responsive. Further, I'm happy to report a notable reduction in inside tire hop - probably 25% percent, so that's progress. Make sense as the diff isn't flapping around in the wind as much and thus keeping more constant torque on the wheel and tire.

But oh man do the diff bushings make the car feel good. Highly, highly recommended. I'm probably going to go to the Steeda blacks for a pinch more response.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the nvh from the bushings with the lockout kit installed.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We appreciate the feedback & support!!!!

TJ

OP
OP

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested to know what you think of the nvh from the bushings with the lockout kit installed.
I'd expect more audible wine but not an intrusive amount, based on how little I hear now. I'm shocked - honestly expected much worse. I get only a very faint wine on decel - you'd never notice unless I pointed it out. Who knows, the blacks might be too much - they're considerably harder to the touch than the reds.

Hoping my world doesn't implode with the LCA bearings! I cannot tolerate a harsh riding car... to old for that shit.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect more audible wine but not an intrusive amount, based on how little I hear now. I'm shocked - honestly expected much worse. I get only a very faint wine on decel - you'd never notice unless I pointed it out. Who knows, the blacks might be too much - they're considerably harder to the touch than the reds.

Hoping my world doesn't implode with the LCA bearings! I cannot tolerate a harsh riding car... to old for that shit.
Yeah, I imagine it's definitely heard clearly, though not necessarily to a level that's annoying. The lockout kit made bumps about twice as audible in the car for me, but I guess I did not find the ride quality to degrade as you did.

OP
OP

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I imagine it's definitely heard clearly, though not necessarily to a level that's annoying. The lockout kit made bumps about twice as audible in the car for me, but I guess I did not find the ride quality to degrade as you did.
Yes, but remember that the PP is considerably more harsh than a GT and so the lockout kit pushed it over the edge for me. Further, gaining back the comfort is always more noticeable than losing it, in my experience.

But as always, this stuff is subjective. I find the PP harsh and unrefined stock while others probably find it plush and refined.

If you're a connoisseur of the finer intangibles of how a car drives and responds you for sure need to do the diff inserts - especially for an MT owner.

Edit - I still need to yank my clutch spring.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but remember that the PP is considerably more harsh than a GT and so the lockout kit pushed it over the edge for me. Further, gaining back the comfort is always more noticeable than losing it, in my experience.

But as always, this stuff is subjective. I find the PP harsh and unrefined stock while others probably find it plush and refined.

If you're a connoisseur of the finer intangibles of how a car drives and responds you for sure need to do the diff inserts - especially for an MT owner.

Edit - I still need to yank my clutch spring.
I certainly would not describe the PP as plush or particularly well-controlled stock. A better set of dampers, even with stock springs, would transform it to what you want, though. I'm amazed how little harshness my current setup has over the PP with its 240 lb/in front and 980 lb/in rear springs, vs. 165 lb/in and 728 lb/in for the PP. That's mostly because of good dampers.

I will certainly seriously ponder these inserts, but you, yank that spring at once! Seriously, you'll wonder why you waited like everyone else in this thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13497&highlight=clutch+spring&page=3

The car made me feel like a total novice, particularly with 1-2 shifts, until I removed it. I prefer the Steeda spring to no spring, but either is a vast improvement.
Sponsored