Sponsored

Are you guys able to turn your steering wheel when the car is off?

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Noticed something strange today. Had my car up on jackstands (car is turned off obviously) and noticed I can turn the steering wheel. From what I remember, whenever I park the car and turn if off the steering wheel would "lock".

The only difference is the car is up on jackstands with the wheels off. Every other variable is the same (parking brake on, in neutral, engine off). I'm sure it's something super simple I missed, but I just can't figure it out :doh:
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The steering lock only comes with security package if that's what you are talking about.
Sheering wheel doesn't lock. It's the power steering so it gets heavy when the car is off. When the wheels are in the air, they have no resistance anymore thus turning freely.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
Noticed something strange today. Had my car up on jackstands (car is turned off obviously) and noticed I can turn the steering wheel. From what I remember, whenever I park the car and turn if off the steering wheel would "lock".

The only difference is the car is up on jackstands with the wheels off. Every other variable is the same (parking brake on, in neutral, engine off). I'm sure it's something super simple I missed, but I just can't figure it out :doh:
huh. i didn't realize that until you mentioned it. after i turn the engine off about a minute later you can hear the steering lock engage. but i just had my car up on jackstands to change to my winter tires and realized i can steer the front wheels while i was mounting/dismounting my summer stuff :shrug:

Last edited:

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Nowadays if there isn't a key cylinder there usually isn't a steering lock. It makes working on one nice now that I don't have to waste time turning the car on and off just to turn the wheel

Kennocha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue GTPP
The steering lock only comes with security package if that's what you are talking about.
Sheering wheel doesn't lock. It's the power steering so it gets heavy when the car is off. When the wheels are in the air, they have no resistance anymore thus turning freely.
Yea, I have steering lock.

First time it happened kind of startled me.

Loud shiiiiink, as it slid into place. Was like, the hell was that?!

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Part of it has to do with the electric power steering. No longer do you need the engine on spinning a power steering pump to actually get power steering and be able to move the wheels.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Fascinating. Honestly hadn't noticed it didn't lock like every other car I have ever owned.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's very difficult to turn, but yes. No power steering and a lot of friction when the tires aren't rolling.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Yea, I have steering lock.

First time it happened kind of startled me.

Loud shiiiiink, as it slid into place. Was like, the hell was that?!
it's really loud if you have the hood up and are looking at something on the engine. it scared me the first time :eyebulge:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
huh. i didn't realize that until you mentioned it. after i turn the engine off about a minute later you can hear the steering lock engage. but i just had my car up on jackstands to change to my winter tires and realized i can steer the front wheels while i was mounting/dismounting my summer stuff :shrug:
did you lock the car?

jrt6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White Ford Mustang GT Premium, 6MT
did you lock the car?
The steering wheel locks on its own maybe about 15-30 seconds after you turn the car off. Regardless if you lock it or have it unlocked.
Sponsored