Sponsored

Are these DRL's any good?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Have no idea, but I have Diode Dynamics DRL with Demon Eyes
2515514A-C3E1-4B76-9ED9-742FD1A8D7CF.jpeg

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I would be wary of unknown quality LEDs. I have used loads of eBay leds and most non main brand ones have failed over time. With how tricky a job it is to fit these to U.K. cars I wouldn’t risk fitting in LEDs that might fail. It’s not like you can just change them like a conventional bulb. I know that known brands and even OE ones can and will also fail but I would try and stay with the tried and tested brands.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be wary of unknown quality LEDs. I have used loads of eBay leds and most non main brand ones have failed over time. With how tricky a job it is to fit these to U.K. cars I wouldn’t risk fitting in LEDs that might fail. It’s not like you can just change them like a conventional bulb. I know that known brands and even OE ones can and will also fail but I would try and stay with the tried and tested brands.
Thanks for your valued reply.

So, which are the readily available “ tried and tested brands” please.

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Diode dynamics are the ones everyone seems to go for and I’m haven’t heard of many problems with them. I have some but haven’t got around to fitting them yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks FMJ.
I shall get those then, JWR have them for like ÂŁ200 from memory?
I have made some resin blanking plates with a cutting template to do the fit by cutting the bottom of the headlights open. Probably easier than taking the lenses off??

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
There is an area that you cut away that allows you to slide the boards in without having to separate the light from the lens.

if you do a search there were photos on one of the U.K. threads.

I would use a hot blade rather then a power tool as that way you won’t have to worry about dust/particles ending up trapped inside the light. I would seal the area you cut back up with a good sealant like sikaflex or something.

This is all just what I have read as I haven’t tried it myself yet. When I do I will post some pictures. But it might be a few weeks yet.

Thanks FMJ.
I shall get those then, JWR have them for like ÂŁ200 from memory?
I have made some resin blanking plates with a cutting template to do the fit by cutting the bottom of the headlights open. Probably easier than taking the lenses off??

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out my You Tube video here.. I did it already, and I have now made the templates and resin "plugs" that screw in to cover the hole, giving removeable access should you need to get into your DRL's or get dust out?

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Check out my You Tube video here.. I did it already, and I have now made the templates and resin "plugs" that screw in to cover the hole, giving removeable access should you need to get into your DRL's or get dust out?

looking good mate đź‘Ť

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
it's certainly a great idea to be able to get in there and fix any DRL board issues. I quite fancy getting them done, not bothered on the changing colour just plain white would do

Sponsored

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
it's certainly a great idea to be able to get in there and fix any DRL board issues. I quite fancy getting them done, not bothered on the changing colour just plain white would do
it would also be great if the boards could be made to slot into place rather then gluing them. That way they are more easily removable if one fails.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Diode dynamics are the ones everyone seems to go for and I’m haven’t heard of many problems with them. I have some but haven’t got around to fitting them yet.
Diode Dynamics is a good company. I have gotten my smoked LED sidemarkers from them, mainly cause they have a 3yr warranty (don't quote me on that). In the past I've gotten a different unit from American Muscle, which burnt up and they refused to warranty it out.

I do want to try the DRLs, but unsealing the headlights seems like a nightmare. I wish the DRL tri-bars weren't so dang dim.

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Diode Dynamics is a good company. I have gotten my smoked LED sidemarkers from them, mainly cause they have a 3yr warranty (don't quote me on that). In the past I've gotten a different unit from American Muscle, which burnt up and they refused to warranty it out.

I do want to try the DRLs, but unsealing the headlights seems like a nightmare. I wish the DRL tri-bars weren't so dang dim.
Funnily enough my car is currently in pieces while I do this job đź‘Ť

BE0B83AF-C9FD-4F9B-A39B-314AFAE277CC.jpeg

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course

Your vid is great just a question about the wiring part as I haven't seen much about that. Is the wiring part of the kit and is there much needed for set up, is it plug and play?
Sponsored