Sponsored

Are Engine Covers Standard? (2023 Fastback EcoBoost Premium)

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
In the 2018 model year Ecoboost Mustangs had engine covers. I think it was around '19 or '20 that it was deleted from the model. Also about the same time the console gear shift indicators (P,R,N,D,S/M) were no longer illuminated.
2019 has the engine cover. It wasn't an option either because it isn't shown on my window sticker as an add-on.

OP
OP
Lotsacaffeine

Lotsacaffeine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kolton
Vehicle(s)
2023 Fastback Ecoboost Premium Mustang
My 2022 didn't come with one either, I'm debating if I want to spend the $70-100 to put one on since I won't really be opening the hood much but I prefer the way it looks with cover.
This is exactly where I'm at. I understand it's not really a functional element but it does look better with the cover imo

OP
OP
Lotsacaffeine

Lotsacaffeine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kolton
Vehicle(s)
In the 2018 model year Ecoboost Mustangs had engine covers. I think it was around '19 or '20 that it was deleted from the model. Also about the same time the console gear shift indicators (P,R,N,D,S/M) were no longer illuminated.
I hadn't noticed the console gear shift indicators! I'll have to look now. Interesting.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't notice the gears being lit before on my 17, but my Ecoboost is lacking these things at least: engine cover, paddle shifters, and remote start on the fob. Hoping to address the last two tomorrow with some parts I ordered already.

OP
OP
Lotsacaffeine

Lotsacaffeine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kolton
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice the gears being lit before on my 17, but my Ecoboost is lacking these things at least: engine cover, paddle shifters, and remote start on the fob. Hoping to address the last two tomorrow with some parts I ordered already.
That's exciting! Best of luck getting those things added on. How long have you had your '17?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I had it for 6 years and 6 months, got totaled out last month though and that's why I'm in the Ecoboost now. It's definitely better than I remember it being from when I test drove both and chose the V6, but still an adjustment and I really miss my old exhaust, digital dash, and dialed in everything.

OP
OP
Lotsacaffeine

Lotsacaffeine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kolton
Vehicle(s)
I had it for 6 years and 6 months, got totaled out last month though and that's why I'm in the Ecoboost now. It's definitely better than I remember it being from when I test drove both and chose the V6, but still an adjustment and I really miss my old exhaust, digital dash, and dialed in everything.
Dang, sorry to hear it got totaled. That's a bummer. 😞

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
21 EB Prem, VB, Pony Pkg, 201A, 13 RR F150 Lariat
My October 21 built EB Premium did not come with an engine cover.

While you are looking at your 23, check under the dash on the passenger side. Is there a plastic panel covering the wiring, etc? I had a 22 for a short while, it did not have the plastic insulator panel, yet my 21 did.

IMG_1515.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lotsacaffeine

Lotsacaffeine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kolton
Vehicle(s)
My October 21 built EB Premium did not come with an engine cover.

While you are looking at your 23, check under the dash on the passenger side. Is there a plastic panel covering the wiring, etc? I had a 22 for a short while, it did not have the plastic insulator panel, yet my 21 did.

IMG_1515.jpg
That's an awesome blue color! Love the Ford Performance crossbar mounted on the suspension. It looks great.

I do see a plastic cover under the glove compartment area on mine:
IMG_8554.jpeg

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
My 2022 didn't come with one either, I'm debating if I want to spend the $70-100 to put one on since I won't really be opening the hood much but I prefer the way it looks with cover.
Don't do it, you would be taking away the lid off a trash can! 😲
It will fill up in the snow and rain and will not have a happy service life. 🌧🌨
I think it's right that Ford has stopped this overexploitation of resources. 🌱
Let's be honest, these lids are much better on trash cans. 🤓

I hope you can see what these plastic covers on engines remind me of. 😜

This is the only true engine cover. 😍

In the case of the Ecoboost, the oil dipstick and filler neck also seem to be easily accessible.
With the V8, the strut and the dipstick unfortunately get in each other's way a bit.
Is this probably only the case with the EU model that always rolls out of the factory without a strut?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
That's an awesome blue color! Love the Ford Performance crossbar mounted on the suspension. It looks great.

IMG_8554.jpeg
That's odd, neither my 17 nor my 22 have that. The 17 was an Ecoboost and did have an engine cover though. Anything that takes the DI noise was good with me, until I did the exhaust it was one of the more prevalent noises.

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)

IMG_8554.jpeg
Thank you. Color is Velocity Blue

That's the piece I was referring to. As I said, I had a 22 Eco Prem (built 11/22) for a short while & it did not have that panel. There is a large thread on the BroncoSport forum about when Ford stopped putting that piece on the 22 Bronco Sports. Some dealers covered it under warranty and some did (do) not. Ford also dropped the engine covers on the 1.5L Bronco Sports as well.

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
I vote spend that $$ on something else. That piece has got to hold in some heat. In So FL you do not need any more of that. I'm guessing that piece + hardware will exceed $100.
Sponsored

Last edited: