Sponsored

Are current suspension upgrades worth it on the PP?

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I was looking at some suspension upgrade kits and was wondering how much of a difference would the kit make on the Performance Package? I know it would lower the car, but beyond that would there be a noticeable difference?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Which upgrade kits are you referring to? If you are just talking about springs, you would definitely notice the difference in feel and ride quality. They won't necessarily make the car much faster around a racetrack but most people greatly enjoy lowering springs. Shocks and struts would make for the most noticeable(IMO) upgrade over stock, even with the Performance Package. Being able to adjust dampening is a great plus.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I was looking at some suspension upgrade kits and was wondering how much of a difference would the kit make on the Performance Package? I know it would lower the car, but beyond that would there be a noticeable difference?
search on Steeda. They have a ton of posts with their springs, kbrace and sway bar items.

The feedback has been fantastic and the handling improvements are huge.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here are couple reviews of our springs on the PP:

My GT PP has been transformed into a real handler, which is really important here in SoCal what with all the canyons and backroads that I love so much. Before, the car was unsettled, especially in the rear, on turn in as the body moved on the suspension, decreasing confidence in entering, holding, and exiting a turn. No more. Residual roll is gone and turns just EXECUTE. S-turns no longer confuse the chassis. And there is absolutely NO DEGRADATION in ride quality. The car tracks straight over road undulations with very little if any steering input. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-sport-springs-coupe-2015-555-8208/#sthash.YswoTm0R.dpuf
All I can say is wow - the ride quality of these springs is just as comfortable if not more comfortable than the OEM Performance Pack springs. The 2015 Mustang doesn't have too much wheel gap right from the factory, but these Steeda springs give it that perfect drop to close the wheel gap even more. Great bang for the buck! - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-sport-springs-coupe-2015-555-8208/#sthash.YswoTm0R.dpuf
Steeda Sway Bar
Steeda Extreme G-Trac Brace
In short ... yes ... you will see improvements!

Best Regards,

TJ

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I won't seriously consider upgrading my PP suspension until there are some shocks and struts on the market.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Soon ... we will have ours soon & then well talk!

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably have a closer look at the brace and sway bars and maybe down the road think about upgrading the struts and shocks.

And I'd like to change the springs and lower the car but here and the Bay Area thats just not an option for me, unless I want to rip off that front lip and bottom out constantly.

OP
OP

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Here are couple reviews of our springs on the PP:
Steeda Sway Bar
Steeda Extreme G-Trac Brace
In short ... yes ... you will see improvements!
Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks! I'm defiantly interested in the sway bars. While your in this thread maybe you could share some details on the Steeda CAI? Like any word on what kinda power gains we might see?

Thanks again.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I won't seriously consider upgrading my PP suspension until there are some shocks and struts on the market.
Waiting on KW...

The PP suspension is not what I was expecting. When driven hard, it doesn't settle all that immediately upon turn-in nor does it control secondary motions all that well, and yet it still compromises ride quality. It's great for a DD+ type of driver.

Springs alone would help a lot, but the dampers could be more compliant and controlling.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Since my future Mustang-to-Be is going to be a 3.55 Auto..I do not have the option of getting the PP unless something changes.

I'm personally hoping for something that will tighten up the whole experience while keeping any weight gain, if indeed there is any, to a minimum.

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Waiting on KW...

The PP suspension is not what I was expecting. When driven hard, it doesn't settle all that immediately upon turn-in nor does it control secondary motions all that well, and yet it still compromises ride quality. It's great for a DD+ type of driver.

Springs alone would help a lot, but the dampers could be more compliant and controlling.
Agreed. I was disappointed and to be honest I considered selling the car 2 weeks in and buying a new Z06 and converting my Z51 to my daily driver.

The Steeda springs and swaybars changed my mind though and now the car is MUCH better and what I had hoped for from Ford with the PP.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
TJ
Any chance of a good adjustable (not just ride height) coilover set up for the track?

Speed Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX w/ IRS
Why is this in the Coyote forum, not the suspension discussion??

+1, no need in better springs if the stock dampers can't control them properly. Also, no need in getting springs that don't increase the spring rate enough to warrant better dampers IMO. But that's just me, if it doesn't make it faster, it's getting tossed.

TJ
Any chance of a good adjustable (not just ride height) coilover set up for the track?
Single Adjustable Koni's
http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/co...tem-single-adjustable-koni-2015-mustang-s550/
Double Adjustable JRi's
http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/co...l-over-system-double-adjustable-2015-mustang/
Also, Vorshlag/Dusold should be having an MCS set up soon. The Dusold car is supposed to be getting them in a week or so. Don't know how long after that for a production version.

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
You would be better off spending your money on driving instruction at a track day. That will yield you seconds per lap.

"Improving" the PP suspension will yield you nothing until you can drive it to it's limits. 99.9% of people can't.

And the first handling mod should always be tires. There are seconds in tires. There are tenths of seconds in basic suspension mods.

cjm9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP in magnetic
I used to own an E46 M3 and my biggest fear when swapping to an american car was the handling. I got the 5.0 PP and i was a bit disappointed with it until i lowered it with the eibach pro kit. My confidence level dramatically changed after that.

I'm not a track guy and I'm not looking to gain any times. I'm a guy that just wants to enjoy his car, so do with that what you will. For me, the change in driving experience was well worth the few hundred for springs.
Sponsored