Sponsored

Apple CarKey

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium 201a Performance Pack (Ruby Red)
Anyone see the newly announced feature by apple to allow cars to be unlocked and started with just having the iPhone on hand? It’s apparently being implemented with BMW first, anyone think it’s coming to Ford? (we do have FordPass, but this would be so much better)
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I wouldn't be surprised, it's an NFC implementation, and just needs the right spec, they said specifically they're working with Ford on the EV mapping/directions/charging locations and battery telemetry, so they have a relationship in place.

Really cool stuff being able to lend a virtual key, etc.

OP
OP
goldenpants

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium 201a Performance Pack (Ruby Red)
I wouldn't be surprised, it's an NFC implementation, and just needs the right spec, they said specifically they're working with Ford on the EV mapping/directions/charging locations and battery telemetry, so they have a relationship in place.

Really cool stuff being able to lend a virtual key, etc.
Agreed it would be super cool. I hope they find some way to integrate FordPass into CarKey somehow even if the existing FordPass enabled cars probably don’t have NFC built in. Would love to have at least the ability to automatically unlock from my iPhone without needing my keys or the slowpoke FordPass app

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
Fordpass works from your phone, over there internet to Fords Servers and then your cars TCU over its data connection reaches out to Fords Servers every so often looking for actions that need to happen.

Apple Carkey works locally over NFC which is way quicker as there's no communication over the internet once its setup on your phone. Ford would have to have the NFC added to its vehicles which at this time it doesn't exist I believe.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Fordpass works from your phone, over there internet to Fords Servers and then your cars TCU over its data connection reaches out to Fords Servers every so often looking for actions that need to happen.

Apple Carkey works locally over NFC which is way quicker as there's no communication over the internet once its setup on your phone. Ford would have to have the NFC added to its vehicles which at this time it doesn't exist I believe.
I dont know for sure what kind of tech is used, but the current fobs seems like a type of NFC. It would be interesting if a phone could emulate that.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Frankly, I don't see how taking the phone out of my pocket, unlocking it, opening an app, then putting the phone close to the door handle, would be easier or more convenient than simply grabbing the door handle while having the key in my pocket.
The hotel where I used to stay when travelling for business back when the world was normal used to have such a system. I could unlock the door using NFC and an app on my phone. But it was always faster and easier to use the access card (which they provided anyway) instead of fiddling with the phone.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, I don't see how taking the phone out of my pocket, unlocking it, opening an app, then putting the phone close to the door handle, would be easier or more convenient than simply grabbing the door handle while having the key in my pocket.
The hotel where I used to stay when travelling for business back when the world was normal used to have such a system. I could unlock the door using NFC and an app on my phone. But it was always faster and easier to use the access card (which they provided anyway) instead of fiddling with the phone.
That’s not how it works, you don’t have to do all that.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/02/how-apple-new-car-key-feature-works/

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Indeed, I missed the part where starting next year, with an iPhone 11 or later, you won't need to take the phone out of your pocket. It if works exactly like the keyfob does, namely use the car's keyless entry/go feature while having the phone in your pocket, then I guess it will be nice.
But until then it's still not worth the trouble. If it requires even one single gesture more than the keyfob does to achieve the same result, then I don't need it.
Besides, if Ford want to offer it, then they must first make FordPass work correctly and reliably. Right now I wouldn't trust it enough to leave my key at home and rely on it. :D

Last edited:

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, I missed the part where starting next year, with an iPhone 11 or later, you won't need to take the phone out of your pocket. It if works exactly like the keyfob does, namely use the car's keyless entry/go feature while having the phone in your pocket, then I guess it will be nice.
But until then it's still not worth the trouble. If it requires even one single gesture more than the keyfob does to achieve the same result, then I don't need it.
Besides, I do hope they manage to make FordPass work by then. Currently it's a buggy, barely useable piece of shit, which works only when it wants to. I'd hate to be locked out of the car because FordPass can't connect to the car and my key is back at home. And if I have to carry the key for good measure, just in case FordPass doesn't work, then I might as well forget about CarKey altogether. :)
it sounds to me like it’s proximity based like the fob. It allows the phone to essentially emulate a fob by emitting the same type (local) signal. It doesn’t seem like OTA would make sense because it wouldn’t work with no cell signal. Another bonus for some like me, no more carrying multiple fobs, in my case one for my car, one for my wife’s. In fact, since I have smart locks on my home, I wouldn’t need to carry any keys at all. That’d be awesome.

Sponsored

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
It works like Apple Pay minus the time it takes to authenticate with your Face or Finger. It senses its close to the car via NFC and unlocks it for you just like the key fob. This new way is nothing like the slow Ford Pass app.

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
I'm a huge sucker for tech features like Apple CarKey. Can't wait to see what it brings.
Sponsored