Sponsored

Anyone Using Motul Oil in Their FI Cars?

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I don’t think that the mobil1 is really full sunthetic anymore. I found the viscosity really tanks with usage. Redline doesn’t seem to shear thin nearly as bad. I tend to think the motul 300v might be similar to the redline due to the ester content.
It's been a while since I used Redline. I currently have Amsoil Full Synthetic in my Gt. No complaints
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I don’t think that the mobil1 is really full sunthetic anymore. I found the viscosity really tanks with usage. Redline doesn’t seem to shear thin nearly as bad. I tend to think the motul 300v might be similar to the redline due to the ester content.
Even the 5w-40 euro blend? It says full synthetic...

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
I have a Motul hat.............unless an oil has been widely proven to be destructive to the touch, and corrodes the internals like a pan full of nitric acid..........

Real issues???? Only for flat tappet pushrod engines.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Even the 5w-40 euro blend? It says full synthetic...
Yes, I believe it’s a group 3, so not “real” synthetic. I was disappointed when I started losing vct control with mileage. My car is sensitive to viscosity loss. I found where gt500 uoa were showing similar results. I don’t recall if 300v was in their data set but the redline showed less shear thinning.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I believe it’s a group 3, so not “real” synthetic. I was disappointed when I started losing vct control with mileage. My car is sensitive to viscosity loss. I found where gt500 uoa were showing similar results. I don’t recall if 300v was in their data set but the redline showed less shear thinning.
Hey Mike. Did they list Amsoil?

Sponsored

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I used 5W30 300V in mine last year since I had some lying around from when I had my STI. It's good stuff 🤙

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Never talk about motor oil, religion or politics online (in that order).

Motul and Redline are esther based oils and not really apples/apples when comparing to Amsoil or Mobil or others. They'll have much better shear resistance and hold their HT/HS better. They're usually more expensive but some food for thought.

What we almost always run into here is a technical and philosophical question..........did the engineers design the mechanical systems and tolerances for the oil rating as it comes out of the bottle, or as it actually lives in the motor for most of it's use cycle?

Amsoil, Motorcraft, and all the typical widely advertised manufacturers are still PAO based oils. As such, all of them (yes, even the vaunted Amsoil) shear very quickly to the equivalent of a 40 weight oil and live that way for most of the cycle.

"Race" oils like Redline and Motul (esther based) and Driven (MPAO based) have additives that generally place them outside the typical certs (mostly for ZDDP and phosphates that threaten catalytic converters).

As someone pointed out, unless you're a race team that beats the car to death and tears the motor down frequently or if you're a cab company that pushes motors to 300k city miles, virtually no one is going to every really notice a difference in many of these choices when it comes to lubricant.

The best advice is, pick an oil that's within your budget that has high HTHS (as possible), good additives like ZDDP and Moly content, change your filter and oil at sensible intervals and be done with it.

To answer the OP's question, yes, Motul is an excellent choice (5w-50) and should resist shearing and viscosity breakdown better than ALL of the PAO based oils on the market. It'll live longer at close to what it's rated in the bottle than others.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Never talk about motor oil, religion or politics online (in that order).

Motul and Redline are esther based oils and not really apples/apples when comparing to Amsoil or Mobil or others. They'll have much better shear resistance and hold their HT/HS better. They're usually more expensive but some food for thought.

What we almost always run into here is a technical and philosophical question..........did the engineers design the mechanical systems and tolerances for the oil rating as it comes out of the bottle, or as it actually lives in the motor for most of it's use cycle?

Amsoil, Motorcraft, and all the typical widely advertised manufacturers are still PAO based oils. As such, all of them (yes, even the vaunted Amsoil) shear very quickly to the equivalent of a 40 weight oil and live that way for most of the cycle.

"Race" oils like Redline and Motul (esther based) and Driven (MPAO based) have additives that generally place them outside the typical certs (mostly for ZDDP and phosphates that threaten catalytic converters).

As someone pointed out, unless you're a race team that beats the car to death and tears the motor down frequently or if you're a cab company that pushes motors to 300k city miles, virtually no one is going to every really notice a difference in many of these choices when it comes to lubricant.

The best advice is, pick an oil that's within your budget that has high HTHS (as possible), good additives like ZDDP and Moly content, change your filter and oil at sensible intervals and be done with it.

To answer the OP's question, yes, Motul is an excellent choice (5w-50) and should resist shearing and viscosity breakdown better than ALL of the PAO based oils on the market. It'll live longer at close to what it's rated in the bottle than others.
Great Advice for all. For me, I never skimp with my performance engines when it comes to fuel, Oil/filters, necessary short interval maintenance ETC. Thanks
Sponsored