Anyone mark up the lug pocket of aftermarket wheels? how do you prevent this?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Fly2High, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:23 AM.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    I have a 2019 Mustang GT PP2.

I purchased a set of aftermarket wheels and the lug nut pockets are 32mm in diameter that I am hessitant to have installed. The lug nut socket I have is 30mm and I am afraid the shop is going to mark up the pockets installing them. There isn't much clearance.

What should I do?

Has anyone gone over to a 3/4" lug nut (instead of the stock 21mm [~13/16"]) with 60 deg cone taper with a 14 mm x 1.5 thread in hopes of reducing the socket diameter? Yeah, I know. It is only a 1/16" smaller in diameter granting me an additional 1.5 mm of space.

How did they work out on your S550? My concern is that the amount of contact with the seat will be less and might be stressed and fail over time.

CJ Pony Parts sells these:
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-small-diameter-chrome-2015-2020/p/WHLLN16/

Which might fit the bill but it is not much smaller as indicated above.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Frank

2. cbdallas

cbdallas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost coupe
    0   0   0
  3. OP
    OP
    Fly2High

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    could I ask you to measure the outside diameter of the 21 mm socket?

I have a Harbor Freight and Ares brand protection sockets already. Not sure that is going to be enough since the OEM lug nut is 30 mm in diameter.

It is the lug nut that I am thinking I want to change since even if the socket is thin walled, the lug nut is still rather wide.

4. cbdallas

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost coupe
    0   0   0
    I'll have to measure it tonight when I get home. If your wheels have a narrow pocket, you will want to change to a "tuner" lug. OEM nuts wouldn't work in my last set of aftermarket wheels, as they left no room for any kind of socket.

5. OP
    OP
    Fly2High

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    What are tuner lug nuts? Are they the spline style?

6. cbdallas

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost coupe
    0   0   0
    Yeah, that's probably what I should've said.

7. OP
    OP
    Fly2High

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    I can fit a socket in the lug pockets with about 1 mm all around. I just would like a bit more. Maybe I should look for a 3/4" or 19 mm lug nut with a 14 x 1.5 thread and a 60 deg cone seat. My only concern is having enough of the lug nut contacting the wheels to keep them on. Stock is a bulge acorn making the seat even wider than a standard lug nut. My fear is I need the wider seat. Wonder if there is a bulge acorn with a 19 mm socket and 14 x 1.5 thread that will work? If I go down one socket, I think I will get the room I would prefer.

8. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    #8 shogun32, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:23 PM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 11:58 PM
    First, have your shop not use power tools on your lug nuts. That'll remove the socket chatter that bangs up the inner wall. If your socket has a plastic sheath then the markup will be much reduced even if they disobey you and use impact tools. There are LOTS of bulge acorn with 19mm hex out there to choose from.

Or wrap your socket in some electrical tape or possibly ductape.

9. gammer2019

gammer2019 Member

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Go buy some heat shrink close to the same size as your socket. costs a few bucks but well worth it.

10. OP
    OP
    Fly2High

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    The heat shrink will only add to the problem. Right now, the stock 21 mm socket is already 30 mm in outside diameter. Adding heat shrink will nearly guarantee it will hit. Besides, they are already protector lug nuts with the shields. The tape also will not help the lug nut itself which is also 30 mm in diameter. I only have 32 mm of space to work with.

Under normal circumstances, the tape would be helpful if I had the space for the socket. If the pockets were 34mm or larger, that or my protector sockets would be fine. Thank you for the suggestion. I am sure others will find it helpful.

For me, I would like a lug nut that uses a smaller socket and a lug that is also a smaller diameter(if possible). I would like to know if anyone is using 19 mm or 3/4" socket and and related lug nuts on their Mustang.

11. samd1351

samd1351 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
    0   0   0
    IIRC, my Monster lugs are 3/4". Currently running them on PP wheels, but will be using them when I switch to the M600s. I was worried about using then on factory wheels as the seat on the factory lug nuts is much larger than on the Monster lugs. But with the new aftermarket wheels, the seat area will be perfect.

Just got word the the wheels/tires are ready for pick-up, but with the ice / sleet / freezing rain coming down, today is not a Mustang day for me. But the company truck can go anywhere!

As soon as I get the wheels home and mounted, I'll shoot you a couple of close up pics so you can see how the lug nuts fit.

12. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    #12 shogun32, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    You don't need a smaller OD lugnut. The nut is by definition centered - it's the wheel that is sitting cockeyed until 2 of the nuts are seated in the cone. Tell your installer to be more careful about getting the wheel aligned.

This nut might work since it has a truncated cone. Should be plenty cheap to buy and measure.
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-104791-611-982.aspx

Or if you want a splash of color
    https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-712-X...1ID2JTXU/ref=pd_sim_263_1/146-0154948-0755112

13. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    The socket that comes with those Gorilla lugs is one of the better ones I've seen. You could try the automotive store for a thin walled socket. The hardware store isn't going to be much help.

The ones with the plastic sheaths are larger than they would be w/o them. That Gorilla chrome socket is what I use most of the time.

14. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang V6 Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I bought those Gorilla lug nuts from CJ Pony Parts (except the black version) for my aftermarket wheels. They work great.