Anyone know what is going on?

Rawimage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anfernee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Anyone know what part this is? And why it is leaking?
AE3D1F48-1A85-4C4C-8B98-3A17B9FEB7F0.jpeg
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Need more info ... what is it we're looking at in that photo? Bottom of the auto transmission?

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
I don't think I could diagnose that from this picture. Plus that looks like the steering rack, not the transmission.
This.

That is the damn steering rack. That component has nothing to leak. Looks like a lazy lube jockey got oil all over during a service, or it’s leaking from above.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This.

That is the damn steering rack. That component has nothing to leak. Looks like a lazy lube jockey got oil all over during a service, or it’s leaking from above.
I think there's still some kind of fluid in the electric steering rack for lubrication. I noticed a small drop of fluid from a port plug seal on mine. I cleaned it up and put some RTV silicone on it and that cured it.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
I think there's still some kind of fluid in the electric steering rack for lubrication. I noticed a small drop of fluid from a port plug seal on mine. I cleaned it up and put some RTV silicone on it and that cured it.
I would imagine they would use a captured lubricant (grease). I’ll have to look into that.

OP
OP

Rawimage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anfernee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
So this is the steering rack leaking?
1B0631AD-4673-46CC-83BE-ABCFEBDD5134.jpeg
A5911EEF-64EC-4EF5-8822-C8FBF8392A3D.jpeg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Agree with looking for an oil leak above the electrical steering rack first. If no source found above, then it could be the steering rack. Clean it up real good and monitor it for the source of oil leakage.

Like said before, I have found a few drops of oil residue on my steering rack that were from the rack itself, so it certainly could contain some type of lubricating oil inside it.

Power Steering Rack Oil Residue.JPG

Sponsored

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
^^^ Agree with looking for an oil leak above the electrical steering rack first. If no source found above, then it could be the steering rack. Clean it up real good and monitor it for the source of oil leakage.

Like said before, I have found a few drops of oil residue on my steering rack that were from the rack itself, so it certainly could contain some type of lubricating oil inside it.

Power Steering Rack Oil Residue.JPG
I bet it's grease. The lubricant has separated from the carrier due to heat. Note the green tint.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bet it's grease. The lubricant has separated from the carrier due to heat. Note the green tint.
The "green tint" material in my photo was some kind of solid potting material that was used to seal that port. I cleaned it and filled it with high temp RTV silicone to stop the seepage from that port.

Power Steering Rack Leak - RTV Seal Fix.JPG

Last edited:

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
The "green tint" material in my photo was some kind of solid potting material that was used to seal that port. I cleaned it and filled it with high temp RTV silicone to stop the seepage from that port.
Hmm. Ok. Well, I'm still searching for any information. I'm coming up dry.
Sponsored