Sponsored

Anyone Else with an Oil Leak on a New GT Premium

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Bought the car new last weekend, somewhat spontaneously. Had been watching my dealership of choice, just happened to check their site, and there was the car with the options/color I wanted. Arrived at the dealer upon opening the next morning and found that the car had just been unloaded the afternoon before. It was a blustery, rainy mess of a day. It still had all the factory wrapping on it, and had not been driven since being loaded in Flat Rock. I test drove it, negotiated, and took it home that day.

I washed it the next day and found it had contaminants on the horizontal surfaces (metal dust from the train wheels, most likely). I scheduled a time for the dealer to clay it. I washed it once more before the detail work was to be done and noticed a half dollar size wet stain on the garage floor. Looked like oil. I notified the dealer and they said to leave it with them when I took it in for the detailing.

I'd hoped it was a loose drain plug or improperly installed filter, but the dealer called late in the afternoon and said they would need more time to determine where it was leaking from. Asked if I was okay keeping the loaner for another day or two.

Anyone else had a leak on a GT? Be interested to know if the source was identified and the problem resolved by your dealer. Might help point my dealer to the source...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
When you noticed the oil stain on the floor, you believed it looked like engine oil and not any other type of oil?

OP
OP
imaginager

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
By color and location it dropped (below engine, offset slightly toward driver's side), it "appeared" to me to be engine oil. I realize a leak can travel along the undercarriage, so the floor location of the drip is suspect. Also, the last time I spoke with the dealer's service department they weren't willing to rule out transmission fluid.

I searched the forum and also ran a few searches on Google for leaks on the 2015 and didn't come up with anything. Still curious if anyone else has noticed any leaking of fluid(s).

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
If I got the car back with no cause found, I would jack the car up, and verify that the oil filter and oil drain plug are not loose and keep an eye on the garage floor and dipstick level even though they said this is not the issue. When I changed my oil, I found no dripping, but my oil filter was a little too easy to remove with my hand. Additionally, when you do this, you can verify the plastic shrouds that obscure the oil filter to see if they are oily or not.

You sure you don't have a son or someone that tried adding some oil for you at the house without a funnel?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hopefully it's just a loose or leaky oil filter, as it is located in the area you describe the leak might be coming from. Please let us know the cause and outcome from dealer info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
imaginager

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
The dealer has had my new GT since last Friday morning (I had the car for 5 days and they've had it 4 - so far). I don't know the exact timing of events, but at some point Friday afternoon they determined that it was engine oil and their initial take was it a half quart high. They brought the oil down to spec, cleaned the undercarriage and engine, and let it sit overnight.

The next day there was no leak, but to be certain their QC manager took it for a short test drive. Upon return they let it sit again and within some period of time the leak returned.

As of Monday afternoon they added an ultraviolet dye to the oil, and re-cleaned the affected areas. They feel confident this will show the source of the leak. Unless something just isn't torqued to spec, it would seem this is going to be a lot more involved than I'd hoped.

OP
OP
imaginager

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
You sure you don't have a son or someone that tried adding some oil for you at the house without a funnel?
I wish. We're down to one kid in the house, now, and I don't think he would have the foggiest idea of even how to open the hood. No, this is something Flat Rock screwed up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
imaginager - hopefully it's something simple like a valve cover gasket or similar. Best of luck, let us know what the cause was.

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
My 2015 GT Premium PP has a slight oil leak or weeping

At first I though it was just break in smells
At 1700 miles I did my 1st oil change and mentioned to to the service manager
He thought I was smelling the stickers on the cats burning and removed them

The symptoms are smell through vents at stop lights and after coming home from middle of car lower side like a drip on exhaust or something

I had the oil changed again at 5600 miles and still had the smell but it had lessened some

I am at 6700 miles and still get it some times but not nearly as much

Their does appear to be some oil marks on the garage floor but to be honest with all the bad weather etc it is hard to determine if new or not

My mach 1 leaked a little oil late in life

There is also a knocking sound at times off and on, cold or hot that worsens with the ac compressor kicking in - hard to have it happen on a visit as it is not consistent
This also sounds a little more pronounced with the clutch in at idle

Belt tensioner, throwout bearing, preasure plate or something - hopefully not bad piston slap

I had planned to take it back by but weather and lack of time off to do so stopped me from being able to

Now since it is hard to replicate I am guessing I might as well ride it out a bit

Other wise my car is great but sad to see issues

Forgot to mention - it seems to be drivers side bottom where the oil might be coming from based on smell
No visible leaks to be seen from above the engine

Mine does the slight squeal at a slow stop also

Last edited:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Anyone else had a leak on a GT? Be interested to know if the source was identified and the problem resolved by your dealer. Might help point my dealer to the source...
Hey imaginager,

Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll look into ways to best assist on my end.

I had planned to take it back by but weather and lack of time off to do so stopped me from being able to
Shoshin; If you do take it in to the dealer, shoot me a PM. I'll check into resources on my end also.

Jeff :ford:

Sponsored
OP
OP
imaginager

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Thanks for reaching out, Jeff. I PM'd you.

After consulting with Ford, my dealer identified the source of the leak as the transmission top vent. Worse, according to my service representative, there's substantial metal content in the fluid (on a new car with less than 300 miles), and the determination is that the transmission needs to be replaced with a new unit. Unfortunately, transmissions are scarce - none in the warehouse, and Ford doesn't know when more will become available. My dealer is escalating and will keep me updated.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Metal in the transmission? ... I'm assuming it's a 6-speeed. They must have found the metal when they checked or drained some fluid thinking it was over-full.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I am sorry to hear this, imaginager.

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Sorry to hear that about you transmission.

Hopefully it will get resolved quickly.

I will probably go by my dealership Friday - provided I can keep that day off and ask the service manager to put it on a rack and see if he can spot the troubles.

At times like these I wish I had a rack in my garage :)

Tempted to get a mechanics stethoscope and try and isolate the knocking sound

OP
OP
imaginager

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013