Sponsored

Anyone installed a catch can oil?

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the fast response a shipping Steve!

I'm still on factory oil, or maybe the temprature dunno, it does really smells like fuel though and is pretty liquid. I kept the bottle and will see in the morning if it's changed in color or if some dirt has dropped..

If your oil still looks like that in the morning I'd take it to the dealer ASAP. Only time I've seen that is when it is mixed with coolant which = destroyed motor.

2016 Mustang GT
Deep Impact Blue
Mods: MBRP street catback exhaust, sparco pro corsa wheels, JLT oil separator
Sponsored

OP
OP

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is possible the oil is mixed with coolant? Engine factory default?

And how is possible the o-ring is outside of the can? Did someone unscrew it and rescrew it back without attention?

Last edited:

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
How is possible the oil is mixed with coolant? Engine factory default?
Here's a pic after sitting in the bottle over night. All I can say it smells like fuel, definitely not like cooling fluid. I did notice some sludge though and feels grainy/sandy...
The thing is as far as I know it's supposed to catch blow by, so I guess it's normal that it smells like fuel. Condensation maybe due to the weather.

I just found the same issue on the interwebs, they say it's ok http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396733

And how is possible the o-ring is outside of the can? Did someone unscrew it and rescrew it back without attention?
Maybe it flipped out the last time I checked it about 2 months ago. I did pay attention though, but once the o-ring is expanded it slides out to the sides of the can when closing it.

Also why the o-rings & filter ring on the inside have dropped down I don't know, maybe from pressure?
UPR Oil (3).jpg

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here's a pic after sitting in the bottle over night. All I can say it smells like fuel, definitely not like cooling fluid. I did notice some sludge though and feels grainy/sandy...
The thing is as far as I know it's supposed to catch blow by, so I guess it's normal that it smells like fuel. Condensation maybe due to the weather.

I just found the same issue on the interwebs, they say it's ok http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396733

Maybe it flipped out the last time I checked it about 2 months ago. I did pay attention though, but once the o-ring is expanded it slides out to the sides of the can when closing it.

Also why the o-rings & filter ring on the inside have dropped down I don't know, maybe from pressure?
Mine has never looked like that in any of my cars but one thing worth mentioning is that this is in a catch can, but your oil pan. If your oil looks like this when you change it, then I'd be seriously worried lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Mine has never looked like that in any of my cars but one thing worth mentioning is that this is in a catch can, but your oil pan. If your oil looks like this when you change it, then I'd be seriously worried lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
How can I find out if my oil is like this? I'm still about 6 months away from my oil change, even though I wanted an oil change after break in but the dealer said it wasn't necessary.

Sponsored

Nordic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joakim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
If you had a lot of cold starts recently there will be condensation of water in the valve covers, this moisture sucks in to the Catch can mixed up with oil.
If you open the fill cap for the Engine oil you will probably find some cream there too.
Nothing to worrie about, usally Cleans up if you take it for a longer drive.
But just to be sure, check the color on the oil on the dipstick.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
If you had a lot of cold starts recently there will be condensation of water in the valve covers, this moisture sucks in to the Catch can mixed up with oil.
If you open the fill cap for the Engine oil you will probably find some cream there too.
Nothing to worrie about, usally Cleans up if you take it for a longer drive.
But just to be sure, check the color on the oil on the dipstick.
Had a lot of cold starts lately indeed and have been driving a lot of short distances where the oil isn't even warm at arrival. I checked my oil today and could'nt see anything abnormal, also managed to get the o-ring to seal again on the can. And repositioned the 2 thick rings with the filter ring inside can, but I'm sure they will drop down again, not usre if this is normal either.

Pic 1: How it's suposed to be.

Pic 2: How I found mine yesterday.

OP
OP

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You grabbed the above picture from this thread
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21986

BUT I'm almost certain that after a while this also should look like yours.

What is happening? All there any moving parts which remove the o-rings from their proper positions?
Is that normal?

As papinist said we don't want another one maintenance headache.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
You grabbed the above picture from this thread
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21986

BUT I'm almost certain that after a while this also should look like yours.

What is happening? All there any moving parts which remove the o-rings from their proper positions?
Is that normal?

As papinist said we don't want another one maintenance headache.
I don't know, probably. They just don't stay in place, but I also don't know if they are suposed to stay in place, so who know's ;)
After having a closer look at one of my pic's, I noticed that I'm missing the bottom o-ring aswell, wth where's my luck gone lately ...

Sponsored

Nordic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joakim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Get some smaller o-rings that fits in the groves, make sure they are oil resistent or they will swallow.
I guess that is what happend.

One ring in each groove and the plate in between. Then it will stay in place.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Get some smaller o-rings that fits in the groves, make sure they are oil resistent or they will swallow.
I guess that is what happend.

One ring in each groove and the plate in between. Then it will stay in place.
I put them back in place yesterday, when the rain is gone ill have a look and see if they stayed in place, but I don't think so. Also why the bottom o-ring is missing I don't know, already looked at the bottom of the can but wasn't there.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just a quick heads up as the oil has a ton of condensation in it to get that coloring which is normal when you have a can that works this efficiently. Also the o-rings are not doing what they're supposed to be doing and they look too big. I will go into the catch can department on Monday and get you the parts you need. Just PM and I will make sure your all set right away.

Joe

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Your in good hands with Joe. I've come to know a few vendors of this forum and Joe is without a doubt one of the best.

That said in my experience the UPR catch cans are best available as well.

OP
OP

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13165]Joe[/MENTION] thanks for the feedback.

How long does the o-rings last? Need replacing very often?

Also noticed at the first photo at post#37 taken from another thread, the o-rings are not placed into the grooves as well. I can't understand what's their proper position.
Sponsored

Last edited: