Sponsored

Anyone have any regrets EB vs GT vs Premium package?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yeah we know we've all seen this vid numerous times. it's "good enough" for most.

[ame]
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hey I have a Barracuda....1968 Formula 340S with a 416 Stroker motor.....its a beast!
No regrets...GT premium with little to no options is best way to go for a daily driver. Comfort with speed. Gas is cheap today so Ecoboost although a great car doesn't have the same pull and sound. Non PP car is cheaper and rides better with better daily driver gears. 18" all seasons have done OK in Michigan winter while my truck was in the shop and I can still add the wheels and tire I want and maybe add Speeda springs and suspension parts. I consider it a blank canvas but with zero regrets!
Mine is a 68 Coupe, it started life as a /6 three-on-the-tree. It's now a Formula S clone with a 360 / 4spd. I have a 340 on the floor of the garage that I am collecting parts for a 416 stroker, shooting for 500HP.

OP
OP

1960apache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, DIB, Recaro
Yes those 68-71 muscle cars were great, they need to bring the Challenger T/A back.
Challenger-TA-Detroit.jpg

dkf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
This is more of a question for the Ecoboost owners around here.

When the Ecoboost was first announced, the sales pitch was that it would be a significantly better handling car than the GT. When the weight and power specs were released, it seems expectations that the Ecoboost would handle like a BR-Z were dampened somewhat.

Now that the 2015s have been out in the wild for a few months, what are your impressions of how the EB handles?

For anyone with experience in both, is the EB a significantly better handling car than the GT?

I'm trying to decide between the two and if the only other significant difference between the two (besides the powerplant) is price, I'd probably lean towards the GT. The difference for me is about ~$10k/$150 per month, which is significant, but I don't want to be wondering 6 months down the road if I should have just bit the bullet and gotten the GT.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Dkf- I chose the eb.i didn't settle for it.If you're questioning now you'll be questioning in 6 months.I'd say get the GT. IMO the handling difference won't be that noticeable for 95% of people.
On another note the arrogance of some GT owners is comical, you bought a v8 mustang woopty do.These cars are great because of the style and performance. You can get both with any of the motors offered.

Sponsored

dkf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Dkf- I chose the eb.i didn't settle for it.If you're questioning now you'll be questioning in 6 months.I'd say get the GT. IMO the handling difference won't be that noticeable for 95% of people.
On another note the arrogance of some GT owners is comical, you bought a v8 mustang woopty do.These cars are great because of the style and performance. You can get both with any of the motors offered.
Apologies if I came across as condescending - I chose my words poorly. What I was trying to get across was that with the new generation Ford seems to have been trying to build two different cars - the GT to stick to the traditional V8 pony car formula and the lighter EB to offer a better handling, more sporting feel that's more akin to a European offering. I was just wondering how successful they were in achieving the latter. I would assume dropping 200 pounds off the front of the car should make a difference but none of the reviews I've read have done a really good job of describing or quantifying that difference.

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
I'm kind of new here. Forgive me for chiming in. And I don't have a new Mustang, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

If cost is an issue, I would prefer a base GT to a loaded V-6 or Eco-Boost. If one isn't going with the V-8, I would think an Accord 4 or V-6 Coupe with a manual transmission would be a more satisfying ride.

NCFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE
I drove both cars and then ordered and now have an EB w/PP & manual. This is my second Mustang, the first was a 78 coupe that lasted a year and half then was sold to make room for kids. The youngsters are grown and I have an empty nest but the wife and I agreed it's my turn for a new ride.
As a daily driver I wanted to keep the costs down but still get that thrill when I hit the gas. To be honest, I though the GT would get me in trouble. The temptation to stomp the gas pedal and haul ass would be just to tempting. The EB does that too but it's a more manageable for my driving style .
As far as the sound debate goes, the EB sound can be improved but I still hear a decent growl that puts a smile when I wind her up. I don't have any regrets.

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
I'm kind of new here. Forgive me for chiming in. And I don't have a new Mustang, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

If cost is an issue, I would prefer a base GT to a loaded V-6 or Eco-Boost. If one isn't going with the V-8, I would think an Accord 4 or V-6 Coupe with a manual transmission would be a more satisfying ride.
The V6 Mustang is significantly less money than the Accord V6 (which is almost as much as a base GT), and the EB is the tuners choice and as quick as the V6 Accord stock. The Accords would be fine for someone less passionate about cars.

Incidentally since your from WI; I have always driven RWD in snow and it's all about the right tire for the conditions, just like shoes on your feet!

Please go drive a base v6 automatic 2015 Mustang and come back and tell us how hard it was to stop smiling.

Last edited:

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Apologies if I came across as condescending - I chose my words poorly. What I was trying to get across was that with the new generation Ford seems to have been trying to build two different cars - the GT to stick to the traditional V8 pony car formula and the lighter EB to offer a better handling, more sporting feel that's more akin to a European offering. I was just wondering how successful they were in achieving the latter. I would assume dropping 200 pounds off the front of the car should make a difference but none of the reviews I've read have done a really good job of describing or quantifying that difference.
Gotcha,you weren't condescending.I'd read to many comments before I read yours ;). I think they did a good job doing what you described. The audi a5/s5 was one of the other cars I was looking at.The Eco gave me a similar feel so I'd say ford did a good job. As far as outright handling i drove both quite a few times before deciding.I didn't push them super hard but did some good spirited driving.The Eco felt a little lighter on its feet,nimble.However the Gt's acceleration and sound kept fogging my mind and that's all that really stuck out as the major difference to me.

Sponsored

deadeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBP GUARD Vert stick
I bought an EB because I figured 310hp and 30mpg is good, and where do you need more power anyway. Well, I am never going to see 30mpg with this EB, that's just not going to happen. Right now, albeit with only 500 miles on it, it doesn't even get 20. I should have got a V8.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
I bought an EB because I figured 310hp and 30mpg is good, and where do you need more power anyway. Well, I am never going to see 30mpg with this EB, that's just not going to happen. Right now, albeit with only 500 miles on it, it doesn't even get 20. I should have got a V8.
It'll improve. I floor it quite a bit and iam averaging 25.with mostly city driving.
I get 30 on the highway.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You haven't described your driving style or where you drive but with 1000 miles on my EB I am averaging 29 mpg on my 48 mile round trip suburban commute (haven't had it on the highway fir more than an exit or two). This is in 20 to mid 30 degree weather too. I easily see 30+ for my commute when the car is broken in, the weather is warmer and they stop feeding us winter gas.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Yea that's just a matter of driving style, city driving or break in. My mpg when flooring it out of lights sits at around 22mpg but normally rests at 24 with mixed city/highway. If thats what you see now in an EB I'm betting you would see low teens in a GT

deadeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBP GUARD Vert stick
Babying it, 95% city miles, the manual EB has real low mileage but <20mpg on the computer and 21.4mpg calculating manually. I'm here for the count so hope it improves, and my habits are not to baby it usually.
Sponsored