Sponsored

Anyone else disappointed Ford is still using single piston calipers for the rear?

TitanUp

Threads
Reaction score
I know I am...:thumbdown:

Don't Camaro's have front and rear Brembo's standard on all of the SS's? Come on Ford!....
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I know I am...:thumbdown:

Don't Camaro's have front and rear Brembo's standard on all of the SS's? Come on Ford!....
Sure but I'm guessing they felt after testing they really didn't need anymore outback than it has. Basically the 15 GT with Performance pack has the current GT500 setup. With the car being lighter it's going to stop really quickly.

OP
OP

TitanUp

Threads
Reaction score
^Yeah, I get that. I'm talking about from a visual standpoint. I know it's kind of petty, but it alway's bugged me seeing the little cheap single piston calipers on the back of the Brembo equipped Mustang's. Especially the GT500.

You would think if you pay for a Brembo package, that would include the rear also. Hell, atleast offer it...

Just kind of disappointing that on the Camaro Brembo's come standard front and rear, and even after paying extra for the brake upgrade on the Mustang, you still can't get em on the rear.

Hell a freaking Hyndai Genesis has standard front and rear Brembo's for crying out loud.

IMO, a Mustang GT SHOULD have rear Brembo's, regardless if it's needed or not. It's just tacky and cheap looking that it doesn't honestly. (IMO)

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not so much. I would just like to be able to get the piston back when I change pads without a bunch of hassle and a special tool.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TitanUp

Threads
Reaction score
Not so much. I would just like to be able to get the piston back when I change pads without a bunch of hassle and a special tool.
So you would rather pass on some bad ass Brembo brake's so that every every couple years when (and if) your pads needed to be replaced it wasn't a hassle?

Sheesh man take it to Midas or something and have them do it...How much do you think it costs to install brake pads?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
So you would rather pass on some bad ass Brembo brake's so that every every couple years when (and if) your pads needed to be replaced it wasn't a hassle?

Sheesh man take it to Midas or something and have them do it...How much do you think it costs to install brake pads?
If you track your car and have specific pads for racing you'll appreciate it.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Yes, I would pass under the assumption the brakes serve their purpose, which is to stop the car quickly, safely and in a straight line.

I like style, but I'm not so vain that a single piston caliper bothers me. Furthermore, I prefer to do my own work where I can because I do it right.

It sounds like you are concerned about the looks. More power to you, but I don't share your opinion. Furthermore, even if this car weighs no more or less than the present GT with the track, this car will stop faster as it is. If it's really that big of a deal to you the aftermarket will be available to you.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Sure but I'm guessing they felt after testing they really didn't need anymore outback than it has. Basically the 15 GT with Performance pack has the current GT500 setup. With the car being lighter it's going to stop really quickly.
Basically this, when the vast majority of your braking is done up front, the rears are not as nearly important. They do provide balance under braking but Ford has traditionally never set the brakes to perform as a balancer, just a glorified parking brake holder.

The previous Mustangs didn't come with Brembo's out back because of the axle end play issues causing pad knock back. Thank Ford for using C-clip held axles and allowing that end play.

I think the biggest issue with them on the S550 is going to be parking brake integration. Brembo, to my limited knowledge, does not produce a caliper with integrated parking brake. This means your parking brake out back will have to be a drum brake on the inside of the rotor hats. This adds weight, complexity and additional cost. Ford spent a lot of time trying to reduce weight in the IRS unit and I'm sure this was one of those many "well shit" moments where they had to find a balance between additional weight and performance.

I also think that the cost issue was a big one. The goal was to keep costs down as much as possible to minimize the "impact" to the profit margin. By reusing older calipers and rotors you can really spread the cost of development for the new chassis out further.

I fully expect and hope that Ford brings out the next "Boss 302" replacement and SVT car with Brembo's front and rear, but it's really not necessary from a performance standpoint.

OP
OP

TitanUp

Threads
Reaction score
Yes, I would pass under the assumption the brakes serve their purpose, which is to stop the car quickly, safely and in a straight line.

I like style, but I'm not so vain that a single piston caliper bothers me. Furthermore, I prefer to do my own work where I can because I do it right.

It sounds like you are concerned about the looks. More power to you, but I don't share your opinion. Furthermore, even if this car weighs no more or less than the present GT with the track, this car will stop faster as it is. If it's really that big of a deal to you the aftermarket will be available to you.
Yeah I mentioned it was for visual purposes, and all I'm saying is it sucks that you have to go the aftermarket route when other cars offer it standard. It also sucks that even if you "pay" for the Brembo package (that other cars offer standard), your still left with the little wimpy calipers on the back forcing someone who likes the look (like me) to have to go out and spend even more money.

Sponsored

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
What non-whimpy looking caliper has integrated parking brake?

OP
OP

TitanUp

Threads
Reaction score
Brembo, to my limited knowledge, does not produce a caliper with integrated parking brake. This means your parking brake out back will have to be a drum brake on the inside of the rotor hats.
So is that what the Camaro has on it's rears?

Again guy's, not talking about the performance aspect of the brakes. I'm sure even without the Brembo's, normal brakes are more than adequate.

I dono...I guess it's just me here, (I do have kind of a brake fettish) but the single piston calipers on the rear really just bug the hell out of me. I wish Ford would atleast OFFER it in the brake package for christs sake.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I know it's not necessary from a performance standpoint, but aesthetically I do think it's a bit cheap not to offer Brembo brakes on the rear. And since this is a package you pay extra for, it would be nice to get them front and rear.

It's not a dealbreaker by any means, and I'm not sure I would even get the Brembo package, but if I'm spending an extra 2-3K for this on a 30+K car it would be nice to get a full package as it looks better visually.

The competition is offering it standard, and you can't even get it on a option package. I do think there is something wrong with that.

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
Ford could always throw everyone for a loop and drop Brembo and go with Wilwood on all four corners. 6's in front and 4's in the back, and they offer park brake equipped rears.

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
I like it the way it is because it seems like there is not a solution that weighs less and add does not add complexity. I.e. the same reason why I like spoiler delete. Anything else is an appearance item, not a performance package item.
Sponsored