Sponsored

Anyone else disappointed Ford is still using single piston calipers for the rear?

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
I'm a little disappointed. Most sports cars have at least a dual piston aluminum caliper on the rear. If anything the aesthetics are much better.

It's also easy to swap pads on calipers like I have on my 370Z. Pull the retaining clip and pop the pads out... simple as that. It takes only a fraction of the time to swap the rear pads on my Z than it did on my '11 5.0, so I'm not sure what the concern is about the difficulty to work on.
Sponsored

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
Yeah I mentioned it was for visual purposes, and all I'm saying is it sucks that you have to go the aftermarket route when other cars offer it standard. It also sucks that even if you "pay" for the Brembo package (that other cars offer standard), your still left with the little wimpy calipers on the back forcing someone who likes the look (like me) to have to go out and spend even more money.

You need a Camaro.

Sponsored

Crazyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old beat up and thankfully running strong
BMW has been doing it to all M3/5/6 owners for years(and the owners pay more)... Performance stand point single piston works but, the aesthetics of it are crap to me.

BlackDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Maybe it has to do with wheel backspacing? With a single piston sliding caliper, the majority of the caliper sit behind the rotor, giving more room on the front half.

Where a brembo caliper, even the smallest dual piston, sits 50/50 over the rotor, eating up more real estate on the front side, needing more room behind the spokes of the wheels.

Just speculating though...

plateofshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dgghdgxktsif
Brembos on the rear is seriously $1500 that would never go to use. Unless you could manually adjust the brake bias they would be totally useless. I bought high friction pads for my Mustang for track days and didn't put the rears in once. I'd say I still have 80% surface left on the rears after 6 track days.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Brembos on the rear is seriously $1500 that would never go to use. Unless you could manually adjust the brake bias they would be totally useless. I bought high friction pads for my Mustang for track days and didn't put the rears in once. I'd say I still have 80% surface left on the rears after 6 track days.
Ford doesn't spend $1500 for Brembos, front or rear. It is much cheaper for them. That is the reason why people are disappointed, because instead of paying a little more to Ford, we will have to shell out a ton more money if we want to upgrade the brakes ourselves.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have the stock brakes on the rear of my 350Z and some aftermarket Stoptechs on the front. One of the benefits of the Stoptechs is the ease with which the pads can be changed. The rears with the sliding calipers are much more of a hassle.

I would consider changing the rears to an aftermarket kit just for that reason alone. Of course, as plateofshrimp mentions, much depends on balance. I end up wearing out my stock rears much more quickly than my Stoptech fronts. I will go through a set of rear pads in only 1 or 2 track days.

-T

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Ford always known being cheap on small items . My 2013 FFH come with cheap antana while other manufacture come with shark fin antana. Lol

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
^Yeah, I get that. I'm talking about from a visual standpoint. I know it's kind of petty, but it alway's bugged me seeing the little cheap single piston calipers on the back of the Brembo equipped Mustang's. Especially the GT500.

You would think if you pay for a Brembo package, that would include the rear also. Hell, atleast offer it...

Just kind of disappointing that on the Camaro Brembo's come standard front and rear, and even after paying extra for the brake upgrade on the Mustang, you still can't get em on the rear.

Hell a freaking Hyndai Genesis has standard front and rear Brembo's for crying out loud.

IMO, a Mustang GT SHOULD have rear Brembo's, regardless if it's needed or not. It's just tacky and cheap looking that it doesn't honestly. (IMO)

If you're only looking for the visual cache' of having rear Brembo brake calipers, then get/make a Brembo stencil, paint them and quit whining already!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, I would pass under the assumption the brakes serve their purpose, which is to stop the car quickly, safely and in a straight line.
I like style, but I'm not so vain that a single piston caliper bothers me.
This ↑↑↑ .

And the only appearance-related aspect of brakes that I even pay attention to is rotor diameters too small for the wheels they sit behind - and even then the blame usually belongs with the wheels being too big rather than the rotors being that much too small for the car.

The need for a special tool to retract the rear caliper piston is a bit of a PITA, though.

I'm a little disappointed. Most sports cars have at least a dual piston aluminum caliper on the rear. If anything the aesthetics are much better.
The only people my brakes have to impress are me and any passengers I might have aboard. And maybe the guy in front of me. Being impressed won't be for what they look like.

BMW has been doing it to all M3/5/6 owners for years(and the owners pay more)... Performance stand point single piston works but, the aesthetics of it are crap to me.
I don't think I've ever understood why the aesthetics of the two dirtiest and purely functional systems matter so much to so many people. Brakes is the newer of the two. Maybe on a motorcycle.

Ford always known being cheap on small items . My 2013 FFH come with cheap antana while other manufacture come with shark fin antana. Lol
As far as I'm concerned, those shark fin antennas are a worse wart on the styling for being pretentious and too visible. Frankly, I'm amazed that people haven't started bashing them for all looking alike and mounted in the same place.

Most of the cars I've ever had, had ~30" mast antennas, which I virtually never notice until I go to wash that particular area of the car. Or more recently, watch my track session videos.

Norm

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I have 1 question... it's pretty silly.
is doing a stationary burnout easier with single piston caliper? or is it easier with Brembos in the rear?
would you even try a stationary burnout if you had Brembos in the rear?
that would be expensive..
Sponsored