Sponsored

Anybody running Amsoil DCT in their 6MT?

MaxOctane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
2017 GT Premium with 34K miles. Looking to change out tranny fluid and I'm an avid Amsoil fan. Though on Amsoil website it suggests using their Amsoil DCT fluid. What? Their DCT fluid is even listed as an automatic transmission fluid.

I haven't had any problems or significant notchyness or nibbles, just want to protect my transmission with the best protection available. I know at some point people were using an amsoil mixture of syncrhomesh with severe gear - not sure I want to go that route either. What say you?
Sponsored

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
theres bg syncrhoshift. meets oem specs, I dont know if it can work in auto im a manual and I tossed it in, no regrets for me.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Our trannies have DCT fluid from the factory, so I'd assume only DCT fluids COULD meet factory specs, not a gear fluid, like BG Syncro-shift II, which should be heavier. But who knows. The BG fluid made a noticeable improvement on old MT-82 versions, but none of the few D4 owners I've read so far reported any such results.

I was thinking of using Redline DCT-F fluid, but the tech guy there told me it wasn't compatible with the factory fluid, so I'll probably just use the stock Motorcraft fluid on both the Torsen and tranny on the next oil change, just to remove all the assembly and break-in crap from there. Finally, if there's no reason to switch, all the better to keep OEM fluids for warranty purposes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Most modern manuals use DCT/low viscosity auto trans fluid because it gives much better cold shifting chracteristics. Go for it. If you're paranoid, look at the viscosity rating for OEM versus the amsoil. cS @40C and 100C. I bet they're pretty similar.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Looking to change out tranny fluid and I'm an avid Amsoil fan.
I’m one of few on the M6G forums that advocated DCTF in the Getrag MT-82.
IMO the list is as follows;
Motul Multi-DCTF
Pentosin DCTF
Redline DCTF
Amsoil DCTF
All great choices, keep in mind I’ve been an Amsoil dealer for over 20 years and still will reach for Motul DCTF first.

BG Syncroshift II should be on your radar if your in the southern warm climate.
If you drive year around and in the the northern climate I personally prefer DCTF in the MT-82

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I dont drive my car in cold weather really, but what I noticed from oem to bg synchro was this- both warmed up, drive smoothly and great. but it took awhile for oem to get to that smooth feeling warming up. The BG is substnaintlly smoother from get go, less warm up time or its just that its smoother in beginning when its chillier.

There was nothing wrong with oem, but the notch while warming up was tedious, took a gamble and the BG took away that feeling while cold a good 80% I still baby it til few mins of driving though.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m one of few on the M6G forums that advocated DCTF in the Getrag MT-82. IMO the list is as follows:
Motul Multi-DCTF
Pentosin DCTF
Redline DCTF
Amsoil DCTF

BG Syncroshift II should be on your radar if your in the southern warm climate. If you drive year around and in the the northern climate I personally prefer DCTF in the MT-82
You're talking about the MT-82, therefore excluding the D4 version, correct? Those reportedly show no difference with the BG. I want to replace the fluid on mine (and also on the Torsen) at the next oil change at 6K miles, to remove all assembly and break-in crap. It has DCT fluid from the factory, so I'm debating if I should use OEM fluid or a DCT-F (what's the difference, anyway?). Here in TX it gets both hot and cold, and due to the summer tires, won't use the car below 45F or so. Thx.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
You're talking about the MT-82, therefore excluding the D4 version, correct? Those reportedly show no difference with the BG. I want to replace the fluid on mine (and also on the Torsen) at the next oil change at 6K miles, to remove all assembly and break-in crap.
The 18+ direct drive 4th gear MT-82 as you stated is factory filled with DCTF.
I'm partial to Motul Multi DCTF and Gear 300 75W-90 in the Torsen.
Give it a try, if you don't like it try another brand.
I'll wager you won't look back after the fluid works it's way into all the rotating components after a few hundred miles or so.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks Greg. I thought it was just DCT, but DCT-F should be compatible, and very similar. I've heard only good things about Motul, so that's probably what I'll try in both tranny and Torsen. By the way, may I ask you what did you use to seal the drain and fill plugs on the Torsen? Ford put some orange crap on the threads, but don't know what it is. Any info on that would be appreciated. The tranny uses crush washers, but also need to investigate the threads to buy a magnetic drain plug, since it doesn't have one, reportedly. Do you know? Thanks again brother.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If they come already coated, that's a great idea. Thank you. Do you still have a link to them by any chance? And are both drain and fill the same plugs? Thx.
Sponsored