Sponsored

Any V6 fans?

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Just read this

There's a very interesting interview here with Dave Pericak. Great comments on the handling I haven't seen elsewhere
Some paragraphs from the Forbes article

Will there be big differences in the way the different models of the new Mustang feel?

You’ll see that we tuned the cars completely differently. A V6 will not handle like a V8. But a V6 will handle better than today’s V6 for sure, and you’ll notice a huge step forward. But it’s not going to be as tight as the V8, it’s not going to be as responsive as the V8. So each car has its own character, whether it’s an EcoBoost, a V6, or a V8.

How will the new EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine feel versus the similarly powered V6?

From an overall performance standpoint, the EcoBoost is going to build torque a lot faster and it’s got a stronger torque curve overall. So you’re going to notice that you have a lot of good power and you have it quick. The V6 is a fantastic engine, but the EcoBoost allows us to really take that and amp it up. And so you will notice that it is more powerful and more responsive than a V6. And then your fuel economy is going to be a lot better. The V6 still being 300-plus horsepower, it’s still a great offering.

So why still offer the V6?

Affordability. It was to keep that price point lower, because we know that’s part of the Mustang magic.
Your comments?
Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Just read this

Your comments?
My sentiments exactly, keep the Mustang Convertible "affordable". For a lot of Folks, not just the Rental Car Fleets, the price jump of $6,500 from a Base V6 2015 Mustang Convertible with A/T to a Premium EcoBoost I4 2015 Mustang Convertible with A/T is just not worth the extra 10 HP and additional boost in low end Torque, period!

OP
OP

66coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Just read this

Will there be big differences in the way the different models of the new Mustang feel?

You’ll see that we tuned the cars completely differently. A V6 will not handle like a V8. But a V6 will handle better than today’s V6 for sure, and you’ll notice a huge step forward. But it’s not going to be as tight as the V8, it’s not going to be as responsive as the V8. So each car has its own character, whether it’s an EcoBoost, a V6, or a V8.
The bolded part does not surprise me. For a daily driver, I don't want a tight car. And I don't expect the V6 to be as responsive as the V8, so I'm good with this.

I'm not sure what he means by "a huge step forward", but it sounds promising. Maybe that means improved refinement and ride quality from the new suspension. That would make me happy.

How will the new EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine feel versus the similarly powered V6?

From an overall performance standpoint, the EcoBoost is going to build torque a lot faster and it’s got a stronger torque curve overall. So you’re going to notice that you have a lot of good power and you have it quick. The V6 is a fantastic engine, but the EcoBoost allows us to really take that and amp it up. And so you will notice that it is more powerful and more responsive than a V6. And then your fuel economy is going to be a lot better. The V6 still being 300-plus horsepower, it’s still a great offering.
This is OK with me too. I expect the EB will be a blast with more torque than the V6 over the entire RPM range. It should be a very lively engine. But I think the V6 is a great engine too.

The engine is one important factor, but not the only one for me. I'm really look forward to reading the road tests and taking my own test drives.

So why still offer the V6?

Affordability. It was to keep that price point lower, because we know that’s part of the Mustang magic.
Agree 100% here. Affordable, practical, RWD fun.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
My sentiments exactly, keep the Mustang Convertible "affordable". For a lot of Folks, not just the Rental Car Fleets, the price jump of $6,500 from a Base V6 2015 Mustang Convertible with A/T to a Premium EcoBoost I4 2015 Mustang Convertible with A/T is just not worth the extra 10 HP and additional boost in low end Torque, period!
applaud Ford for offering affordable mustangs :ford:

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
The bolded part does not surprise me. For a daily driver, I don't want a tight car. And I don't expect the V6 to be as responsive as the V8, so I'm good with this.

I'm not sure what he means by "a huge step forward", but it sounds promising. Maybe that means improved refinement and ride quality from the new suspension. That would make me happy.
Likely the V8 will have a stiffer suspension, and be tuned more sporty, both of which are to my liking.

That said, I am confident that the V6 will be hell of a car, especially considering I will be daily driving it. Can't wait to read the reviews.

Sponsored

OP
OP

66coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Likely the V8 will have a stiffer suspension, and be tuned more sporty, both of which are to my liking.
I think I'd like a stiffer suspension if the roads around me were better. But I live in the snow/rust belt, and potholes and broken pavement are everywhere all year round. A stiff suspension is fine on a garage queen, but it's tough on daily drivers.

I see you are in the southeast, so I'm guessing your roads are a lot better than mine.

That said, I am confident that the V6 will be hell of a car, especially considering I will be daily driving it. Can't wait to read the reviews.
Yep. I don't think you can go wrong with any S-550 from the stand point of fun to drive. It becomes an issue of balancing what you want against what you're willing to pay.

Those reviews can start coming out anytime now. Let's start with a back-to-back-to-back comparison of the V6, EB, and GT. Compare and contrast. After that the long term tests to see what they're like to live with. Are you listening, boys? C&D? R&T? MT? Anyone?

All-Or-Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 6 Series Vert
I really like the V6. Good, strong and reliable. With the right exhaust it sounds pretty good too.

Choosing the V6 over the Ecoboost would definately come down to the Ecoboost exhaust note and how it sounds with an aftermarket exhaust.

OP
OP

66coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Choosing the V6 over the Ecoboost would definately come down to the Ecoboost exhaust note and how it sounds with an aftermarket exhaust.
This and (for me at least) the real world fuel economy of the EB.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
If you drive the EB 2.3 I4 aggressively, the fuel economy is likely to be worse then the naturally aspired 3.7 V6.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I think I'd like a stiffer suspension if the roads around me were better. But I live in the snow/rust belt, and potholes and broken pavement are everywhere all year round. A stiff suspension is fine on a garage queen, but it's tough on daily drivers.

I see you are in the southeast, so I'm guessing your roads are a lot better than mine.
Over here the roads might be a bit better, as we don't see as many big snows.

Yep. I don't think you can go wrong with any S-550 from the stand point of fun to drive. It becomes an issue of balancing what you want against what you're willing to pay.

Those reviews can start coming out anytime now. Let's start with a back-to-back-to-back comparison of the V6, EB, and GT. Compare and contrast. After that the long term tests to see what they're like to live with. Are you listening, boys? C&D? R&T? MT? Anyone?
also TFLC (the fast lane car), that I can think of on top of my head

Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I really like the V6. Good, strong and reliable. With the right exhaust it sounds pretty good too.

Also the throttle response of the EB, which is important to me

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
If you drive the EB 2.3 I4 aggressively, the fuel economy is likely to be worse then the naturally aspired 3.7 V6.
Hope the media reviews will take this factor into account when doing real world test drives. I am sure they will.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Hope the media reviews will take this factor into account when doing real world test drives. I am sure they will.
26 mpg average in this ecoboost... My 2010 4.0l gets 23-24mpg average. I think it is a very good bet that in real world driving the 3.7 is going to get the better milage. I was set on the ecoboost until I listened to a few videos of the focus st and compared them to the 3.7... That 3.7 just sounds to damn good with the right exhaust!
10561624_917424411617629_3026049907967287823_n.jpg

zumsel

Threads
Reaction score
Canadian pricing

Good morning everyone, just joined.​
I am really wondering why in Canada the premium for the EB is $3,000 over the price for the V6. That makes the EB convertible $9,000 more expensive then the VG ragtop. Okay, the EB convertible comes with the premium package. But still $3,000 will buy you a lot of gas. And then there is the fact that for the V6 regular unleaded is recommended and for the EB premium. Today I pay for regular $1.34/ltr and for premium $1.43/ltr at the pump.​
There is no way that I will regain the premium I have to pay for the EB back in fuel savings. And as I just want a boulevard cruiser :shocked:and I am not interested in any performance mods, I think the V6 is the logical choice, at least for me. And I also prefer to hear some classic rock while driving over a hearty exhaust note. :D