Sponsored

Any Rumors of a New GT500 Convertible Model in the Future?

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
As the title asks, any rumors on this?
I've done some searches and only come up with a bunch of personal speculation.
My wife and I absolutely want a convertible model. Up to now were we considering a GT Premium and adding wider wheels and tires and a Roush blower to it. I would prefer a factory blower if possible. The Camaro ZL1 'vert is the other option we are considering, but we drove both the GT Premium and a Camaro SS and we both prefer the 'Stang.
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Haven't heard of it, but wouldn't be surprised considering they made convertibles for the prior gen GT500. But ... why not a SuperSnake?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Most probably not. In fact, I got yelled at for asking ...

:D

No, but seriously, it's such a different beast, and you figure a minimum convertible config would be close to $80K. FWIW, I cross shopped a ZL1 convertible, very seriously, when I was looking to move from a '16 GT convertible (PP, so manual), to a MY18+ GT convertible. I have a whole thread on my ruminations about this. You can get a "factory" of sorts install at a Roush authorized dealer, that would come with a warranty, and I believe they have full turnkey cars in convertible[?]

The GT convertible, with PP, Mag, AE, B&O with the A10 is pretty spectacular, and yeah, just add a set of 20x10, 20x11 wheels with a 275 or 285 and 305 rear and you've got a pretty stout setup.

I just got mine tuned and running E85, probably around 500HP, combined with the A10 and 3.55 gearing is a hoot :D

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)

No, but seriously, it's such a different beast, and you figure a minimum convertible config would be close to $80K. FWIW, I cross shopped a ZL1 convertible, very seriously, when I was looking to move from a '16 GT convertible (PP, so manual), to a MY18+ GT convertible. I have a whole thread on my ruminations about this. You can get a "factory" of sorts install at a Roush authorized dealer, that would come with a warranty, and I believe they have full turnkey cars in convertible[?]

The GT convertible, with PP, Mag, AE, B&O with the A10 is pretty spectacular, and yeah, just add a set of 20x10, 20x11 wheels with a 275 or 285 and 305 rear and you've got a pretty stout setup.

I just got mine tuned and running E85, probably around 500HP, combined with the A10 and 3.55 gearing is a hoot :D
MaskedRacerX, can you link me with your ZL1 thread? I would like to read about your "ruminations".

I believe your suggestion will be my ultimate "Fall Back" choice, and will likely be WAAAY less expensive than any used GT500 "vert model.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Although......when you think about it.......GT convertible,with PP Mag, 401A, A10, B&O, Safe and Sound....add a Roush blower, wider wheels and tires and you're likely bouncing around $70K.

At $80K for a GT500 'vert, I would definitely consider laying out the extra cash for..... 7 speed DCT.....MASSIVE front and rear brakes (VERY important to me!!)....superior cooling....etc. etc. etc.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I don't think they will make one in vert. I talked to a Ford rep a month ago or so and he said they won't, for the same reason they won't make a 350 in vert; the frame would take too much bracing to handle the torque. I think that is probably a BS answer. You can definitely brace one to handle GT500 power...but I don't know what it would take to brace one to handle modded GT500 power.

I would love to be wrong.

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
May get roasted for this but I actually hope they don’t make a vert GT500 or GT350, going forward. In my mind, a “race” car should have a fixed roof.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
May get roasted for this but I actually hope they don’t make a vert GT500 or GT350, going forward. In my mind, a “race” car should have a fixed roof.
Bring back the Mach1 and do an optional Vert for the 350 ;)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I kind of agree. I mean, even the ZL1 loses the eDiff and the PDR option in convertible flavor, since those are really "Track Car" features.

Maybe at some point there will be a product positioned above the GT, but below the GT500, that's available to both coupes and convertibles (kind of like @Sigma6 said).

Sponsored
OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)

:D

Something about adding boost to an engine that has a 12:1 compression ratio to start with won't induce a lot of relaxed sleep (in the past, I added a supercharger with 9 pounds of boost to a 1995 Taurus SHO with the Yamaha 3.0 liter high compression engine, got 350 HP to the front wheels.....and promptly blew the motor--if I do this a second time, by the time my wife is finished with me, you'll be reading my obituary!).
Maybe adding a Bullitt like CAI and a tune to a GT Premium will satisfy my quest for power seeing as my "Retirement Gift" to myself and my wife won't ever see a dragstrip or a road course. If you don't mind me asking, who did you get to tune your car.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I test drove a few ZL1 convertibles before buying my GT. That engine is blast. With the automatic, you can light up the rear tires any time you feel like it, at any speed. I don't see why they couldn't do a GT500 convert.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I test drove a few ZL1 convertibles before buying my GT. That engine is blast. With the automatic, you can light up the rear tires any time you feel like it, at any speed. I don't see why they couldn't do a GT500 convert.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the Mustang GT over the ZL1?

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
upload_2019-10-31_9-21-18.jpeg

It’s not a matter of can or can’t. In my opinion, a vert GT500 would actually degrade the prestige of it from basically being a street legal race car.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Maybe adding a Bullitt like CAI and a tune to a GT Premium will satisfy my quest for power seeing as my "Retirement Gift" to myself and my wife won't ever see a dragstrip or a road course. If you don't mind me asking, who did you get to tune your car.
You don't even need a CAI, in fact, the heat soak from an open design might be notably detrimental. I'd say, without going FI, just drop in a panel filter (maybe remove the carbon panel from the stock airbox), do a tune, especially if you can go with E/E85, and maybe headers.

AED (Shaun specifically)

I drove a couple (one coupe, though I was planning on a convertible), and I'll tell, around town, that being in the sort of under-50-stop-and-go, the GT with the A10/3.55 feels just as quick - the ZL1 is with an A10 has a 2.85 rear, so that there's any traction, so it feels like it has a lot more up top, but needs that extra room (like merging into the highway, from 40-80-ish, it's a beast).

I think both cars are basically traction limited, now with the E85 tune, hahaha, in S+ it bangs through, and chirps through the first 4 gears :D
Sponsored