Any posts on TR-3160 swaps?

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
I know this is an old thread, but if you are still checking it, please let me know. I have a TR3160, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, etc. ready to go. Just wanted to know mainly about the hydraulics, electrics, and any issues? Thanks! -Tommy
As far as I know the stock clutch/flywheel works and someone else had used a spec clutch. Shop said mcleod wouldnt work unless the input shaft was shorter. Only throwout bearing available is the OEM GT350 one.

You will need the GT350 flywheel bolts or the longer AF ones.

Electrical wise the temp sensor on the trans will not be used.

I cant recall but I think the GT350 clutch line was used.

You will need GT350 shifter boot and knob. Rubber on bracket had to be modified a little.

Driveshaft you will need a custom one or swap the pinion flange on the diff as the holes wont line up. I paired the front of the GT350 and rear of the GT shaft. Should have ir system balanced after.

Mounts are the same.

Most importantly a tune.. LUND got me running in like 30mins with the GT350 ratios. Without the tune I had powerloss.

This was for a 16' GT350 to a 16' GT. Not sure about other years.

10k miles later and still shifting flawlessly. Very happy with it. Wish it was factory.

I would replace the junk slave cyclinder at the same time. This is reason the clutch pedal sticks.
Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the info. This is Great.

So, to clarify a few things...

Are you saying a stock GT350 flywheel will work, or a stock GT flywheel? I know there are aftermarket 26 spline clutch disks for converting to GT to use a Magnum XL transmission with GT flywheel/clutch cover. The pilot bushing on the GT is in the crankshaft, and the GT350 is in the flywheel. I would think a GT350 dimension flywheel would be needed, but you are saying the Mcloud needed a shorter shaft. Maybe the end of the GT crankshaft is longer?

Did you keep the stock MASTER cylinder, or change to a GT350?

Are you saying the transmission cross member is the same on both cars?

How did your shop handle the vent tube? The TR3160 seems to have a really long hose attached, and I can't tell what the bulb thing on the end is.

I did see that the differential flanges can vary between either 110mm or 113mm, so I can see why you swapped the driveshaft parts around.

Thanks again!
-Tommy

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
You need the GT350 fly/clutch. GT will not work. The pilot is in the flywheel of the GT350. There are zero conv kits avail for this.

Per the shop the mcleod needed a shorter shaft they measured it they said. They did cut the shaft on a magnum to make this work before.

The masters are different but I have the stock one. Even PP GT is different then non PP.

The tube/bulb was already on it. There was no issue to fit.

Im not sure if you really need to drop the diff to change the flange but I would change it instead of the shaft it was like $20-30.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I appreciate the info.
So, is the GT cross member going to work, or do I need the GT350 cross member?
Thanks!
-Tom

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Has someone made a kit for this.....interested.

Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Has someone made a kit for this.....interested.
There is no "kit." You are looking at around $5,000 for parts and labor. You will need the transmission, which is around $2,000 on Ebay, plus a GT350 driveshaft, OEM shifter assembly (unless you can get the rear rubber mount off of a junked car. You cannot mount an aftermarked shifter without this part, and it is not available separately from Ford. It comes as part of the GT350 shifter assembly. I don't think the MT82 rear shifter mount is the same. You will also need a GT350 specific clutch AND flywheel. OEM clutch is around $1,600, or aftermarked units from around $1,400-$2000. You will also need a GT350 crossmember, and the computer will need to be reprogrammed for the different speed sensor wheel (32 teeth instead of 12, I think).
You could just buy a Magnum kit for around $4500, but the gearing is pretty tall.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
There is no "kit." You are looking at around $5,000 for parts and labor. You will need the transmission, which is around $2,000 on Ebay, plus a GT350 driveshaft, OEM shifter assembly (unless you can get the rear rubber mount off of a junked car. You cannot mount an aftermarked shifter without this part, and it is not available separately from Ford. It comes as part of the GT350 shifter assembly. I don't think the MT82 rear shifter mount is the same. You will also need a GT350 specific clutch AND flywheel. OEM clutch is around $1,600, or aftermarked units from around $1,400-$2000. You will also need a GT350 crossmember, and the computer will need to be reprogrammed for the different speed sensor wheel (32 teeth instead of 12, I think).
You could just buy a Magnum kit for around $4500, but the gearing is pretty tall.

Fml, looks like i’ll wait til my mt-82 blows and then get a 6r80 swap

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I know this is an old thread, but if you are still checking it, please let me know. I have a TR3160, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, etc. ready to go. Just wanted to know mainly about the hydraulics, electrics, and any issues? Thanks! -Tommy
I've also got a GT350 TR3160, flywheel, clutch, and driveshaft considering a swap into my 15 GT.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've also got a GT350 TR3160, flywheel, clutch, and driveshaft considering a swap into my 15 GT.
I wonder how many TR3160s that get sold on ebay end up in sitting in someone's garage, waiting to be transplanted into a 5.0. I would have just sold my car and bought a GT350, but it ended up being around $10K-$15K cheaper to buy the transmission, clutch, etc., and a Whipple supercharger.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Don't want to revive an old thread but with the Mach 1 coming with TR3160 do you guys think this will be an easier option for trans replacement for the GT's with MT82 ?

Sponsored

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Don't want to revive an old thread but with the Mach 1 coming with TR3160 do you guys think this will be an easier option for trans replacement for the GT's with MT82 ?
Not sure, the labor and all is the same. Maybe just a few parts will be easier to source.

22k miles later trans is still amazing. Makes the car so much nicer. Only thing I wished I had done was add short throw at the time and find a clutch that fit. 2yrs ago it seemed only spec could fit besides the oem one. For Mcleod which I had bought, the shop said the input shaft had to be shorter.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
My full TR3160 swap is still sitting in the garage, not sure when I'll get it installed.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure, the labor and all is the same. Maybe just a few parts will be easier to source.

22k miles later trans is still amazing. Makes the car so much nicer. Only thing I wished I had done was add short throw at the time and find a clutch that fit. 2yrs ago it seemed only spec could fit besides the oem one. For Mcleod which I had bought, the shop said the input shaft had to be shorter.
I mean with the new Mach 1 this is the first time we can source TR3160 in Europe so from logistic stand point this should be a lot easier for me. I'm asking because last season my MT82 leaked and I fixed it but I know that inevitably I will need a stronger transmission. I'm happy that your swap is working great thanks for the update.

BRY302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 PP2

HI! I need to know if you have any info for mustang gt 2018+ and if you finaly get a trans cooler for your TR-3160 and if not how do make work your trans without the cooler.
Sponsored

Last edited: