Sponsored

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Bump. No one here has done this? Suppose to be a direct bolt on but shop says gear ratios will be off clutch and fly wont work.. the ratios possibly cant be changed/tuned.

OP
OP
arionii_s550

arionii_s550

IG: @arionii_s550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asir
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Gt Premium Gaurd Metallic
Bump. No one here has done this? Suppose to be a direct bolt on but shop says gear ratios will be off clutch and fly wont work.. the ratios possibly cant be changed/tuned.
I think you just have to use the gt350 clutch and flywheel, idk about the diff and then ratios shouldn’t be a problem

OP
OP
arionii_s550

arionii_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asir
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people are just going with the magnum t56 swap or however it’s called, what bothered me was the weight of it
But so far I havnt had a problem with the mt86

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
I have to drop it anyway. Got the flywheel to driveshaft new for a good deal. Magnum would have been a lot more. Hopefully it works out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
arionii_s550

arionii_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asir
Vehicle(s)
I have to drop it anyway. Got the flywheel to driveshaft new for a good deal. Magnum would have been a lot more. Hopefully it works out.
Ahh awesome let me know how it goes

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Honestly, if I was going to toss the tranny, I'd save up and flip for a T-56 Magnum with a Mantic clutch, and a Barton Hybrid 3. .

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Being I can't even drive mine now as it failed this was the best option. I assume the clutch line will still work. Think they are the same for GT/GT350.

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Waiting to confirm some things such as flywheel fitment. I believe both the 5.2 and 5.0 are zero balance or internally balanced motors so the flywheel should work.

Mcleod engineering says to treat it as a GT350 and use one of their twin disc clutch flywheel kits. Last thing shop is conerned about is backspacing on gt350 fly wheel. They also recommend tuning for the new gear ratios although Im not sure if I really get why? Im adding some bolt ons so I guess its worth it.

Sponsored

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Just wanted to update. I successfully swapped the Tr3160 into my 16 GT around Christmas. Feels amazing. Ended up using the stock GT350 clutch/flywheel as the Mcleod didnt fit. According to shop the input shaft had to be shorter. Asked several tuners and sadly they did not know what to do. LUND had it taken care in a few hours. All they had to do was swap in the GT350 info. Before tune I had power loss in certain gears/rpm similar to if you had swapped rear gears.

According to another member a Spec Clutch did work fine.

You will need the GT350 flywheel bolts or the longer ones. GT350 slave cyclinder and TR3160 clutch line. Fathouse Fab sells the longer bolts for $80 I believe. Dealer ran like $20.

You will also need the GT350 companion flange swapped at the differential if you choose to use a GT driveshaft. Its like $30. I think you can remove the flange with the rear on the car but to save time and possible labor if it had to be dropped I just had a custom shaft made. Basically used the front of the GT350 shaft and the rear of the GT Shaft and had it balanced.

You will also need the GT350 shifter boot/knob. Think the shop had to modify the bracket a lil to make it fit but no big issue. That was about $100 if I recall.

The TR3160 also had a plug on it for a temp sensor but your GT will not use it as it does not have one.

I did not have the cooler on my trans so did not have to deal with it but you can buy an aftermarket cooler.

I paired this all with what originally causes and caused my clutch pedal to hangup.. a new clutch master cyclinder, a $30 part. So many have had this issue and it seems FORD just replaces everything with no say in the real cause. The dealer even told me it would be impossible the master could cause the pedal to hang.

I also added the steeda clutch spring and perch along with their hose that replaces the OEM that falls off. Probably $75 all total but really feels much better engagement wise.

Last edited:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
A lot of people are just going with the magnum t56 swap or however it’s called, what bothered me was the weight of it
But so far I havnt had a problem with the mt86

Where are you sourcing a TR3160?

T56 is widely available both used and as new units, so is the alternate tyranny of choice. Though admitedly the standard ratios are not that great.

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
I bought it on here new. This trans feels amazing I have no complaints at all about ratios so far.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I bought it on here new. This trans feels amazing I have no complaints at all about ratios so far.
Yes, the TR3160 ratios are quite good. Standard T56 not so much, though the Ford Racing version of the T56 for the Boss 302R had good, tight ratios but very tall. Even with the race car 4.30 final drive, first gear was probably too tall for a street car.

Sometimes I think production car gearbox designers use a dart board to choose ratios, because 5 minutes putting together a gear chart makes you question half their choices.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I know this is an old thread, but if you are still checking it, please let me know. I have a TR3160, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, etc. ready to go. Just wanted to know mainly about the hydraulics, electrics, and any issues? Thanks! -Tommy
Sponsored