Sponsored

Any ideas what this is?

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Happened after overheating the brakes but google images of “overheated brakes” doesn’t look like this. Can I fix it without buying new rotors/does it even need to be fixed or is it fine?

Thx

EDBC4B3D-8A15-493A-AB37-38ECB0BA7D89.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Happened after overheating the brakes but google images of “overheated brakes” doesn’t look like this. Can I fix it without buying new rotors/does it even need to be fixed or is it fine?

Thx

EDBC4B3D-8A15-493A-AB37-38ECB0BA7D89.jpeg
You can certainly fix that at home or by taking it to an auto store that resurfaces/cuts rotors…

Here’s how to do it at home:

I would say to pull the wheel, caliper and pads…. What do the pads look like?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I agree with Cobra jet look at the pads. The rotors themselves can be used as is if you do not want to have them surface finished, assuming they retain enough thickness.
The pads however can be "glazed" from the heat. That surface glazing on the pads lessens the effectiveness of the pads. New pads would be best but I have seen the glazed surface ground off and pads reused.

New pads and having the rotors turned/replaced is the top notch way to go.

New pads on the rotors as they are can work well enough and be safe enough. The pads will conform to the rotors and may smooth them just a little over time. Will not be 100% right away tho. Takes a few miles to bed in the pads. Nice to have perfect looking smooth rotors but yours should work.

Grinding off the glazed pads and reusing them is not something I like but have seen it done. I have seen folks decide to run rotors in worse shape than those pictured. Sometimes it is a money thing. Sometimes it is a cheapskate thing.
Had a friend with a Porsche 911 and it was hard to get him to spend on good fixes. He was plenty wealthy enough, so it was not poverty. Checked the brakes on the 911 and found after sitting for a few years the master cylinder had leaked out the chamber feeding the rear brakes. At first he was going to run it with front brakes only but i talked him out of that. Got down to replace or rebuild the master cylinder. After checking prices he ordered the rebuild kit and a cylinder hone needed. I rebuilt the master cylinder and it was still fine many years later. But I had to threaten to not work on his cars anymore if he did not get the brakes fixed right. Go figure.

Another thing to consider is if the brakes are pulsing at the pedal or shuddering the steering when applied. Heated rotors can warp a bit. Can often be turned down if thick enough. If you have pulsing new rotors or having them turned gets to be a higher priority. Folks can and do live with warped rotors and they work, but it is annoying and wears other parts especially on the front.

Good luck

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
is the rotor still more or less flat? Something seems off with your pads.

Remove the pads and post a pic.

glazing can usually be fixed by removing the pads and hitting them with a belt sander. I’ve heard just wetting the rotors to oxidize them (and letting the rust/rouge surface the pads), but IDK, glazing can be pretty intense sometimes.

i’d be worried you lost a chunk of pad, so a removal/inspection is needed IMHO.
Sponsored