Sponsored

Any ideas for a p0300:00-ed code?

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
2018 mustang GT pp2. Car is taken care of and bone stock and only had 10k mi on it.

Recently, I've started getting a check engine light and codes related to misfires.

Today check engine engine came back as a p0300:00-ed code indicating random misfire.

Last time I read codes I saw something about battery voltage indicating it was 10v or less but that hasn't come back.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have a warranty anymore because of the age... But I am mechanically inclined and have decent scan/service tools.

I could fire parts cannon at it getting new plugs and making sure I am putting in high quality fuel... But that seems like it's just a guess.

Are imrc or whatever still a problem on the 2018s or only a problem with previous gen?

Thanks for anything that might help me figure it out
Sponsored

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upon the advice of swapping battery by a user on reddit, I went ahead and did that, and have since put about 45mi on the car with no more misfire codes. I think she might be good to go. Good to keep in mind in case others happen across this code on their own cars.

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well more updates, had codes come back, took to dealer they reflashed, recalibrated knock sensors or somethign... said if they cant see the codes happening, they cant do anything about it.

Went a couple days, and p0300 is back. SO I guess I get to play the while(broke){takeToDealer();} dance

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
random misfire > plugs, ing, coil pack. shit gas

random misfire going to be a crap shoot for a while. How does the car drive, normal?

How did you discover the code, what made you check?

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check engine light pops up. Tonight I was driving it and made a mental note that it was running great. Stop to pick up a sandwich and started back up with an immediate check engine light. And seemed to bog a little but could totally be in my head.

I have seen codes for misfires on #2, #4, #5 the p0316 which is misfire within the first 1000 engine rotations.

I'm just afraid it's gonna be many many dealer visits firing off the parts cannon.

In reading it seems like it COULD be plugs coil packs, crank position sensor, imrc, low compression, injectors, bad gas.

Not something super easy to diagnose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more thing... This all came on suddenly. 0 problems over the time always be owned it (I bought it new). One day I'm getting all these random codes.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Check engine light pops up. Tonight I was driving it and made a mental note that it was running great. Stop to pick up a sandwich and started back up with an immediate check engine light. And seemed to bog a little but could totally be in my head.

I have seen codes for misfires on #2, #4, #5 the p0316 which is misfire within the first 1000 engine rotations.

I'm just afraid it's gonna be many many dealer visits firing off the parts cannon.

In reading it seems like it COULD be

Not something super easy to diagnose.
Just a thought, the crank position, has been checked, assume it is good for now.

Is the code calling out the same 2,4,5, and all 3 at the sametime?
Or
Monday, plug 2 misfires
Tuesday plug 4 misfires and so on

low compression > not thinking that will cause a misfire,
injectors > would feel as hesitation as bad gas does when accelerating.

Anything can happen, but logically, I dought that 3 plugs, 3 coil packs, 3 injectors, could all fail at the same time.

Could pay someone/ Ford to do a deep dive into the logs. Quicky scan, which Ford most likely did, checks the last recorded event captured.

These computers, EMS are pretty smart and have different levels of diags & events tracked and logged.

Might cost some coin to have them read, but in the end, will save $$$ by not shotgunning (what if) and replacing parts.

I would ask Ford first about it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the harness at the crank position sensor. Pull it off and make sure the pins in it are not loose or damaged. Make sure the wiring harness to the crank sensor isn’t damaged. Pull the crank sensor and clear any debris stuck to the magnetic end and at same time, make sure the sensor body isn’t cracked.

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford dealer has finally said they think it's cam phasers and "timing components"... And they are going to replace components under power train warranty.

I'm not sure it'll fix things... But at least it's not "we couldn't reproduce it " like the last visits.

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have had the car back a while and things seem .... Better.... I don't know if it's something has just BEEN a problem or what but seems generally happier and has a slightly different exhaust note
Sponsored