Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I am just beginning to play guitar, got my Jackson JS22 Arch Top, a Zoom effects box and a 20W Blackstar Amp, I got some riffs down but I still need a lot of work, lol.

Anyone else out there play, would like to hear your stories...

Noticed Sophia's clips on You Tube, what a dream :)

Sponsored

perryjanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt350
Sorry for the delay in my response and congrats on diving into the world of guitar! Jackson JS22 Arch Top sounds awesome, and that Zoom effects box + Blackstar Amp combo is a killer setup! We all start somewhere with those riffs – keep jamming and you'll rock 'em soon, haha. I'm right there with you on the learning journey. Currently, I'm diving into the basics and tackling new techniques, like the elusive gsus chord. It's all about that gradual progress, right? Can't wait to see how it enhances my playing. Super excited to share my progress soon! And yeah, Sophia's YouTube clips are total inspirations!

Last edited:

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Been playing a long time. Mostly play with friends these days. YouTube is your friend. Lots of good lessons for free. Wish youtube was around 35 years ago. I would start with the open chords. You can play along with most anything. Learn how to change open chords quickly and basic chord progressions will open up the song library.

richardcrutchfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda CR-V
I am just beginning to play guitar, got my Jackson JS22 Arch Top, a Zoom effects box and a 20W Blackstar Amp, I got some riffs down but I still need a lot of work, lol.

After being so overplayed, for so many years, I thought I'd never want to hear Boston again. I was wrong. This is incredible. Goosebumps.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Been playing a long time. Mostly play with friends these days. YouTube is your friend. Lots of good lessons for free. Wish youtube was around 35 years ago. I would start with the open chords. You can play along with most anything. Learn how to change open chords quickly and basic chord progressions will open up the song library.
The trick is to not get stuck going around in circles after learning and mastering open chords then wondering why it still doesn’t sound right.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid

Yes! Congrats on the choice to start playing! It's a lifelong journey of learning and not just about playing, but also how to manage and tweak the electronics. My advice: Practice every day. Pay deliberate attention to your picking techniques - that's arguably equally or more important than fretting technique.

I run through a 1965 Fender Bassman with old school pedals. I also build my own amps starting with 1950's vintage Stromberg Carlson PA amps and restoring/modifying them for guitar use.

My axe collection includes a Jackson US-made Soloist, a PRS Custom 24, and 5 Carvin/Kiesel guitars (various models). I've rebuilt the electronics in one way or another in all of them chasing different tones. Love Bare Knuckles pickups in particular.

Its a very rewarding pastime!

Check out this guy - unbelievably talented!
https://www.themusicman.uk/max-ostro/

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Yes! Congrats on the choice to start playing! It's a lifelong journey of learning and not just about playing, but also how to manage and tweak the electronics. My advice: Practice every day. Pay deliberate attention to your picking techniques - that's arguably equally or more important than fretting technique.

I run through a 1965 Fender Bassman with old school pedals. I also build my own amps starting with 1950's vintage Stromberg Carlson PA amps and restoring/modifying them for guitar use.

My axe collection includes a Jackson US-made Soloist, a PRS Custom 24, and 5 Carvin/Kiesel guitars (various models). I've rebuilt the electronics in one way or another in all of them chasing different tones. Love Bare Knuckles pickups in particular.

Its a very rewarding pastime!

Check out this guy - unbelievably talented!
https://www.themusicman.uk/max-ostro/
I have three guitars. I have a $100 cheapo Sigma acoustic that aside from the neck being very heavy, I love..What a great knock around guitar that play’s really nice BTW and is my practice go to, a Fender Am Std. strat and a Martin D-18. Just using a Spark practice amp for now. Thanks for the tip on the picking technique. I actually started finger picking and not even using a pic when I first started playing because I was OCD on getting the chords clean and correct.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I have three guitars. I have a $100 cheapo Sigma acoustic that aside from the neck being very heavy, I love..What a great knock around guitar that play’s really nice BTW and is my practice go to, a Fender Am Std. strat and a Martin D-18. Just using a Spark practice amp for now. Thanks for the tip on the picking technique. I actually started finger picking and not even using a pic when I first started playing because I was OCD on getting the chords clean and correct.
Martins are really nice!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've been playing since the 70's. I no longer play live.
If you want a great teacher this cat is the real deal and he does live remote lessons.

My buddy Ty.

Sponsored

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
I also play guitar, and learning it has been a fun ride. When I started, I just had a simple guitar and amp. The key for me was to keep practising and trying new things. Every new riff I learned made it more exciting.

I watch a bunch of guitar videos on YouTube, too. It's cool to see how different everyone plays. It keeps me going and wanting to get better.

Also, I found this fantastic place online, the Guitar Enthusiasts Forum. It's a spot where guitar players chat, share tips, and talk about everything guitar, like music software. It's helped me connect with other guitarists and pick up new ideas.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid

Wow. Great cover! Just noticed this thread. Glad to see that she's playing a Kiesel. I own 5 of em and the quality is incredible for the price. I also have a PRS Custom-24 and a Jackson US-made Soloist. I play thru a 1965 Fender Bassman piggy-back rig with a nice collection of analog pedals.
Sponsored