Sponsored

Any drone flyers out there? I crashed mine and then repaired it. (videos inside)

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I fly an inspire 1 pro for work. Just took my recurrent exam. $150 to renew is bs, but typical government. Crashed twice. Would love to upgrade to Falcon 8 or pick up an eBee, but can't get the boss to spring for it yet.
Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I have a DJI Mavic Pro. Really enjoy fiddling with it, even though I don't fly it too often.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting drone thread - have some questions (never tried or owned one):

If a drone runs out of charge mid flight, does it come crashing down or does it have a way of coasting down for a landing?

When flying a drone quite a bit away from your actual piloting location, when it does fall from the sky, how do you know where to go to find it? Do they all have a GPS or beacon tracker that activates?

How long does a typical charge last?

What is average vertical flying height (feet or miles)?

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Interesting drone thread - have some questions (never tried or owned one):

If a drone runs out of charge mid flight, does it come crashing down or does it have a way of coasting down for a landing?

When flying a drone quite a bit away from your actual piloting location, when it does fall from the sky, how do you know where to go to find it? Do they all have a GPS or beacon tracker that activates?

How long does a typical charge last?

What is average vertical flying height (feet or miles)?

As for ours (Inspire 1), when it reaches a certain battery level, usually, 25%, it automatically returns home. If it cannot make it back, it will land itself.

Again, speaking only from my experience, when I crashed ours, it was easy to find. It was at the base of the silo I hit, with a small but extensive (and expensive) debris field. As for a fly-away, some do have GPS (fyi, the proper term is GNSS, GPS is the name of the original US constellation of satellites, similar to how people used to say 'Xerox this' where Xerox is the brand of the copier, but because it was the first and most popular, that is what everyone said when making a copy) that you can track until it runs out of battery.

Battery life will depend on the type of drone. Ours is generally good for about 15 minutes of good flight time per battery. We carry 8 batteries with us.

We are restricted to a height of 400' above existing grade, unless inspecting a tower, then it is 400 feet above the top of the tower. They can certainly fly higher, but that would against the FAA regulations.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
This is what happens when a 5lb drone hits a concrete silo 30 MPH then falls 150 to the ground. Silo 1- DJI 0.
20181019_162946.jpg
20181019_162842.jpg