Any experiences with galvanic rust

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Found a few spots on the hood and it seems I have galvanic corrosion rather than the touch up paint I first thought it was. I know it’s a huge problem with Fords and aluminium panels, however just wondering if anyone had treated it. It’s easy peasy to get it stripped back and re painted but scared it’ll just come back. Cheers
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Found a few spots on the hood and it seems I have galvanic corrosion rather than the touch up paint I first thought it was. I know it’s a huge problem with Fords and aluminium panels, however just wondering if anyone had treated it. It’s easy peasy to get it stripped back and re painted but scared it’ll just come back. Cheers
take the bonnet off throw it away and get a new one fitted only way to fix it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
To be fair it is a problem with a lot of makes - Aluminium corrosion resistance is just as much of a problem as rust on steel. Just ask Jag XK drivers and their front doors.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Ford approved for my wings to be stripped back and re-painted. It came back...
Speaking to them again...

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
If it rusts. Replace with fiberglass or carbon fiber

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I think I’ll eventually do this. What options do we have in the UK ?
Anderson Composites, trufiber or Cervinis for a hood

Anderson Composites or trufiber for doors and fenders I think.

I already have a fibreglass hood. My rust was repaired under warranty. If it comes back, Ill replace fenders.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
If it is still in warranty Ford will fix it. My Ford dealer told me they do about 3-4 bonnets per month pre-lockdown as it's a common problem. The other area that seems to rust are the door hinges because they have a lack of paint on them, and the drain area under the boot lid because there is insufficient drainage.

Admittedly, I have had no issues with the bonnet but my front end and bonnet is wrapped in PPF. The door hinges are suspect though so I may have that addressed in time.

Welcome to Detroit design and build quality, a far cry away from the superior engineering and design of Ford Europe. At least the car sounds good and has all of the usual mod cons.....

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
If it is still in warranty Ford will fix it. My Ford dealer told me they do about 3-4 bonnets per month pre-lockdown as it's a common problem. The other area that seems to rust are the door hinges because they have a lack of paint on them, and the drain area under the boot lid because there is insufficient drainage.

Admittedly, I have had no issues with the bonnet but my front end and bonnet is wrapped in PPF. The door hinges are suspect though so I may have that addressed in time.

Welcome to Detroit design and build quality, a far cry away from the superior engineering and design of Ford Europe. At least the car sounds good and has all of the usual mod cons.....
ppf won't help it my entire care is ppf'd and i'm now on my 3 or 4th bonnet.
also don't put stock in ford fixing it their bodyshops are mostly independents but "ford approved" which basically means cheap not good (or in my case with a clue how to even spray at all).
basically save yourself some bother and just buy a carbon or fibreglass one and be done with it it'll never get fixed properly by ford.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
I would agree with Hinchs comments as regards the ability or willingness to get a bonnet corrosion issue resolved.In my own case I reported and showed the issue to my nearest dealer with its own approved body shop.That was on 3rd January 2020 and in spite of lots of chasing I am still waiting to hear.....
We can’t blame it all on Chinese Flu!

As regards Generation 2 cars had any owner out there got the same issue or is it only gen 1 cars?

Sponsored
OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
If I can’t get a fix from Ford I’ll most probably put a carbon or fibreglass one on and get it painted (not keen on the black carbon bonnet look). Not many options in the UK though, which is a shame.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
If I can’t get a fix from Ford I’ll most probably put a carbon or fibreglass one on and get it painted (not keen on the black carbon bonnet look). Not many options in the UK though, which is a shame.
Nemesis have three or four bonnet options. They're cheaper than they were a couple of years back.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
How long is the warranty for these issues? Is it the basic 3 years or the longer period referred to in the manual for certain bodywork corrosion? Hendy Performance think it’s the longer period, but sadly they don’t have a Ford Approved body shop.

Can anyone recommend an actual Ford Dealer body shop that is any good?

Cheers
David

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
How long is the warranty for these issues? Is it the basic 3 years or the longer period referred to in the manual for certain bodywork corrosion? Hendy Performance think it’s the longer period, but sadly they don’t have a Ford Approved body shop.

Can anyone recommend an actual Ford Dealer body shop that is any good?

Cheers
David
Hartwell Ford Grimsby are magicians with paint in my view and are an approved ford body shop. I believe the warranty is 6-7 years.

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hartwell Ford Grimsby are magicians with paint in my view and are an approved ford body shop. I believe the warranty is 6-7 years.
Sounds good but a bit of a hike for me. Any recommendations in South East or South Coast areas?
Sponsored